• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

SOME RYZEN 7 1700 OVERCLOCKING!

Caporegime
You guys should check out the default voltages with stock bios settings and XFR enabled. My 1800X samples all run up to 1.5v at stock when boosting to 4.1Ghz on up to dual threaded workloads.

Soldato
You guys should check out the default voltages with stock bios settings and XFR enabled. My 1800X samples all run up to 1.5v at stock when boosting to 4.1Ghz on up to dual threaded workloads.

Why would it be engineered like that when we know that 1.4v ish is enough for 4ghz on all cores (give or take a little in voltage)

Soldato

Not for sustained periods though.
Its also worth noting that the crosshair likes to overvolt everything.

Maybe you can contact Rob Hallock and ask what the proper stance is to clear some of this up?

Caporegime
Not for sustained periods though.
Its also worth noting that the crosshair likes to overvolt everything.

Maybe you can contact Rob Hallock and ask what the proper stance is to clear some of this up?

I don't need to, i got these values from the product manager of Ryzen.

Of course you are free to do as you desire though, these are just guidelines based on temperature and the thermal solution you use.

Overclocking voids warranty, so if you are worried run at stock. :)

Why would it be engineered like that when we know that 1.4v ish is enough for 4ghz on all cores (give or take a little in voltage)

Probably to ensure each sample has enough voltage to hit that frequency, each CPU sample is slightly different. 4.1Ghz does require significant voltage to run on 8 cores as my testing has discovered. I can hit 4.075Ghz at around 1.5v.

Last edited:
Soldato
I don't need to, i got these values from the product manager of Ryzen.

Of course you are free to do as you desire though, these are just guidelines based on temperature and the thermal solution you use.

Overclocking voids warranty

Probably to ensure each sample has enough voltage to hit that frequency, each CPU sample is slightly different. 4.1Ghz does require significant voltage to on 8 cores as my testing has discovered. I can hit 4.075Ghz at around 1.5v+.

I don't doubt you have these numbers from a reliable source, I'm more so questioning why there is different values coming from the same company.

Soldato

Indeed, noticed this right at the start, it's a bit much but i assume it's standard so it'll work for the poorest chips.

As for max recommended on Ryzen, sustained load without extreme cooling you're looking at 1.45v tops. However, most people run less because the wall is big and obvious with Ryzen, a 50MHz increase may cost you as much as 0.1v vcore, which really isn't worth it.

DDR4 1.45v tops is safe. Some Samsung B-Die users are pumping as much as 1.5v through and appears to be fine so far. Extreme overclockers, well, whatever doesn't set it on fire.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I don't doubt you have these numbers from a reliable source, I'm more so questioning why there is different values coming from the same company.

If you look at tech sites when they reviewed Ryzen, it was 1.45v. If you look at the video Rob did, it was 1.425v. Very small difference ( a couple of voltage notches in the bios) which is not going to make any significant change to temperature or power consumption.

Indeed, noticed this right at the start, it's a bit much but i assume it's standard so it'll work for the poorest chips.

Exactly, and you'll see the same behaviour on Radeon GPUs too. (i know you haven't used those for a while Rossi :p)

Back
Top Bottom