Sony XF90

Caporegime
Its all about the 5.1 surround sound home theatre setups with a subwoofer too big for ur room.

I listened to my friends soundbar and thought it was pathetic in comparison.

But then I'm sure someone is running a dolby atmos ceiling installed setup here which will kill my 5.1.

yeah but your mate probably had a crap soundbar or not turned it up high.

go look at Yamaha's and Samsung's offerings at £600+ up to £1500 then come back and say they are pathetic.

We used to have a set of Logitech Z5500's for many years. They worked fine with our TV. After they became faulty we bought a set of Logitech Z906 speakers to replace them.
They are affordable for us and work well for 5.1 sound. Optical out from the Sony TV which provides DD, sadly the TV doesn't allow DTS when using Kodi or Plex, transcoding needed.

The Z5500 is really basic. It does surround sound but it's not refined. I have one in the attic I need to get rid of it. Having used it and y mate used the newer one which he got rid of for a soundbar I'd say it's a gateway entry level product. It's not very good compared to obviously more expensive options but good for those on a budget.

Soldato
yeah but your mate probably had a crap soundbar or not turned it up high.

go look at Yamaha's and Samsung's offerings at £600+ up to £1500 then come back and say they are pathetic.

Just pathetic in comparison to a proper 5.1. I don't see how a soundbar can EVER compete with a proper subwoofer .

Soldato
Do you do any PC gaming on it? I think that's the big thing about these new TVs, the major improvements are really related to that more than anything else imo. I'm not counting consoles into it yet simply because we don't know anything about future ones & current ones don't benefit much from VRR as a lot of games have capped framerates & a lot of the time below the VRR threshold anyway.

I do wish I had VRR on my XF90, but only if the range were bigger. Even more I'd like 4K 120 for overall smoothness, even outside games, and especially being able to do 10bpc RGB when playing in HDR rather than having to change to 4:2:2.

It is for my PC gaming. I'm guessing the best thing to do is hold right instead then.

I just really want to have a 75 inch tv so I can custom resolution 21:9 games and it not look tiny.

Caporegime
Just pathetic in comparison to a proper 5.1. I don't see how a soundbar can EVER compete with a proper subwoofer .

you don't know what you are talking about. the samsung n950 soundbar is better than a 5.1 system and it has it's own dual subwoofer too iirc

https://www.avforums.com/review/samsung-hw-n950-soundbar-review.15198

"Quite frankly the N950 is one of the best soundbars I have heard to date, and when it comes to Dolby Atmos and DTS:X it is the best. If you want to add immersive audio to your living room but don't want the complexity and mess of installing an AV receiver and 5.1.4 speaker system, then the Samsung is just the ticket. In fact the HW-N950 is worth considering even if you could install an AV receiver and speaker package, it's that good."

Soldato
What's it like playing your pc games on this TV at 1440p@120hz does it look any good?

I do 1080p 120hz on mine, but it plays really well in CS:GO and the like. Truth be told, I rarely use it as I mostly play single-player games and emphasise image quality settings over framerate. The scaling for resolutions is fine even for 1440p & 1800p. I don't think if the TVs were natively that resolution it would look much better. It also helps that the TVs usually have some nice sharpening/smoothing options (e.g. Reality Creation on Sony).

1440p 120Hz is not possible
120Hz is only available at 1080p with a custom resolution
Not on the XF90, that's true. But on the Samsungs they can do 1440p 120hz.

How do you setup a custom resolution?
I have an AMD GPU so it's very simple, under Display in Radeon Settings there's a Custom Resolutions section where you can just press 'create' and then you just change the number from 3840 to 1920, and 2160 to 1080, then from 60hz to 120hz and choose CVT for Timing Standard. Then save and change it in display properties in Windows. Very simple & easy.

It is for my PC gaming. I'm guessing the best thing to do is hold right instead then.

I just really want to have a 75 inch tv so I can custom resolution 21:9 games and it not look tiny.

In that case, definitely wait. I got a 55'' but it depends a lot on how far away you're sitting. I feel pretty comfortable with 21:9 from a 1.6m distance, in fact could do even closer. Feels great to play Doom that way :cool:

Soldato
Maybe I'm better off leaving it at 4k resolution for my pc as I only play sp games and I'm sure it will look stunning. Just not sure that a 1080 card is able to push 60fps on a 4k TV. What settings can you turn down on games that have very low visual impact but boost your FPS?

Caporegime
Maybe I'm better off leaving it at 4k resolution for my pc as I only play sp games and I'm sure it will look stunning. Just not sure that a 1080 card is able to push 60fps on a 4k TV. What settings can you turn down on games that have very low visual impact but boost your FPS?

it won't be my mate has a 1080ti and struggles to hit 60 all the time on his XE90.

as for settings AA won't be needed at 4k res as much turn that off or to the lowest setting possible.

everything else you will need to play around with to see what suits.

4k gaming on a pc though IMO is overkill unless you are willing to spend £1500 on upgrades every year or two.

Caporegime
So what resolution do you suggest on this TV?

Does 1080p@120hz look terrible but feel smooth haha?

are you buying this tv purely for PC gaming if so just get a PC monitor?

i competitively game on my pc so i wouldn't use a tv ever. but if it's single player only then FPS shouldn't really matter too much. so i would do 4k for single player games 1080p for multiplayer.

Soldato
I do 1080p 120hz on mine, but it plays really well in CS:GO and the like. Truth be told, I rarely use it as I mostly play single-player games and emphasise image quality settings over framerate. The scaling for resolutions is fine even for 1440p & 1800p. I don't think if the TVs were natively that resolution it would look much better. It also helps that the TVs usually have some nice sharpening/smoothing options (e.g. Reality Creation on Sony).

Not on the XF90, that's true. But on the Samsungs they can do 1440p 120hz.

I have an AMD GPU so it's very simple, under Display in Radeon Settings there's a Custom Resolutions section where you can just press 'create' and then you just change the number from 3840 to 1920, and 2160 to 1080, then from 60hz to 120hz and choose CVT for Timing Standard. Then save and change it in display properties in Windows. Very simple & easy.

In that case, definitely wait. I got a 55'' but it depends a lot on how far away you're sitting. I feel pretty comfortable with 21:9 from a 1.6m distance, in fact could do even closer. Feels great to play Doom that way :cool:

I have a 65 inch TV and I sit about 2-3m away. 21:9 is definitely too small for me.

Soldato
you don't know what you are talking about. the samsung n950 soundbar is better than a 5.1 system and it has it's own dual subwoofer too iirc

https://www.avforums.com/review/samsung-hw-n950-soundbar-review.15198

"Quite frankly the N950 is one of the best soundbars I have heard to date, and when it comes to Dolby Atmos and DTS:X it is the best. If you want to add immersive audio to your living room but don't want the complexity and mess of installing an AV receiver and 5.1.4 speaker system, then the Samsung is just the ticket. In fact the HW-N950 is worth considering even if you could install an AV receiver and speaker package, it's that good."

lol

I'm sorry but I don't think any soundbar's built in subwoofer is going to beat my BK Monolith+

A proper 5.1 soundsetup with a solid AVR for upgradability to dolby atmos in-ceiling speakers versus a soundbar...

okay... lol...

For how small soundbars are, for how convienant they are, they offer great value and great performance but I don't think they can ever compare to a proper setup.

And no doubt the HW-950 is awesome, but I really doubt any serious AV enthusiast will be trading in their high end systems for it. However, it is for sure an out-lier in the soundbar market. If I ever had wiring issues, I'd definitely size up the next iteration as a potential purchase.

Last edited:
Soldato
No one ever said the Soundbar would beat a monolith. You are making really silly comparisons now. Having literally just watched Into the Spiderverse on my 65XF90 and N950 set up, I can tell you it was an incredibly satisfying experience.

For the record I've owned Q Acoustic 5.1, B&W 600 series 5.1 (684 fronts) with a monolith DF and now the N950 because the wife "won" lol. The N950 absolutely holds it's own and fills my need of very competent sound with the other half's need for unobtrusive speakers.

So sit and debate all you like and Willy wave dropping high end kit names around but I and the reviewers have actually heard the kit, so there that. :)

Caporegime
No one ever said the Soundbar would beat a monolith. You are making really silly comparisons now. Having literally just watched Into the Spiderverse on my 65XF90 and N950 set up, I can tell you it was an incredibly satisfying experience.

For the record I've owned Q Acoustic 5.1, B&W 600 series 5.1 (684 fronts) with a monolith DF and now the N950 because the wife "won" lol. The N950 absolutely holds it's own and fills my need of very competent sound with the other half's need for unobtrusive speakers.

So sit and debate all you like and Willy wave dropping high end kit names around but I and the reviewers have actually heard the kit, so there that. :)

+1

and i also currently own a BK XXLS400 (the one down from the monoloth which beats the monolith for music content FYI) and a full 5.1 setup with monitor audio speakers all round and a yamaha AVR which at the time was their top of the range AVR (it's less than 2 years old). i also own 2 soundbars. therefore i also know how good they can be if you buy a decent one.

my dad owns the N950 so I've heard one now several times and it's very good. so good in fact if my AVR ever dies I may ditch my speakers and go for an atmos soundbar next time. far less hassle and they have come to a point now they rival 5.1 setups.

how much is a monolith again? £500 on it's own and comparing it to a soundbar setup is quite frankly childish and ignorant. you can't compare something which costs £5000 all in to something which costs £500-£1500

otherwise i could turn around to him and say he's completely wrong about tv's and he should be spending a minimum of £150k building a purpose built cinema in his back garden with a projector costing £50K like the ones they use in IMAX cinemas. because we all know bigger means better in screen size. he must think because this is a pc forum nobody knows anything about home cinema set ups.

Soldato
I have a 65 inch TV and I sit about 2-3m away. 21:9 is definitely too small for me.

Yeah, that's rough. I sat about 2.2m away from mine for a few weeks and it was just too small for gaming even in 16:9 compared to being closer. Imo setting up a sofa chair and getting right up into the TV is the best upgrade you can make. I really can't do any further away than 1.8m now. Ideally I'd be somewhere around 1.5-1.6m but need to get new furniture for that.

Soldato
Yeah, that's rough. I sat about 2.2m away from mine for a few weeks and it was just too small for gaming even in 16:9 compared to being closer. Imo setting up a sofa chair and getting right up into the TV is the best upgrade you can make. I really can't do any further away than 1.8m now. Ideally I'd be somewhere around 1.5-1.6m but need to get new furniture for that.
Hahaha you are right.. buying a chair might be wiser than buying a new tv.

Soldato
QUOTE="pcfarrar, post: 32473150, member: 185014"]Quite a few people reporting issues with ARC after the update. I’ve got a Sonos Beam connected via Optical and it’s working fine.[/QUOTE]

I will have to check that once I get the the Pioneer LX-701 AVR all wired up again as was updating the whole setup speakers AVR, power amps and speakers to 7.3.4 (yes 3 subs .. don't ask... ) I ended up having to buy 2 sets of the 5.1.2 Focal Sib Evos to get a second set of the atmos speakers as Focal are drinking to much wine and took over a month to send me the wrong sib evo speakers in the end.. So gave up and got a second set of the first ones and ended up with a 3rd sub as I wanted to use my previous sub and the new focal one to make it 7.2.4 , also ended up with 3 spare speakers now too...

setup:-

75" XF90

AVR Pioneer LX-701

Tibo 150 power amp for the extra 2 channels

2 sets of the 5.1.2 Focal Sib Evos

Oppo 203 4K UHD player

Just to update what I said above, ARC zero problems with the update and the above setup. Finally got it all wired up this weekend.. I hate wiring setups like this now (I use to enjoy this sort of thing, must be age finally getting to me), what a royal pain. Anyways all worked fine first time and tried the apps on the tv Netfix, prime video , google play video, youtube and tv etc etc and ARC never failed once and even got ATMOS from Netflix with zero issues. This is all with my above setup.

Soldato
Sony KD75XF9005 new curved version.

32586652887_dcbb016140_z.jpg

This was Monday. Replacement arrived today. Box has some damage but screen intact. Taken pics and informed retailer accepted but untested.

Soldato
Sony KD75XF9005 new curved version.

This was Monday. Replacement arrived today. Box has some damage but screen intact. Taken pics and informed retailer accepted but untested.

Was there any obvious box damage to the first one delivered...?

When the agents for Richer Sounds delivered our XF90 they took several photos of the delivered box from several angles, it was in excellent condition. Thankfully the TV was also....!

Caporegime
Was there any obvious box damage to the first one delivered...?

When the agents for Richer Sounds delivered our XF90 they took several photos of the delivered box from several angles, it was in excellent condition. Thankfully the TV was also....!

box damage doesn't really mean anything as they are so well protected inside the box these days. they won't be able to move and have polystyrene holding them firmly in place. box damage comes from other boxes hitting the box, etc it's usually minor damage at best. if the damage goes far enough to damage the polystyrene then i would be concerned.

Back
Top Bottom