Sony XF90

Soldato
Yeah. I've not done it yet myself (at work) but someone on avforums has and its working fine. Even reported DV on Netflix was working properly now.

Caporegime
According to the webpage, it was updated today with v6.6510

Release Date
22-05-2019

Going from peoples reports, the new version isn't available OTA yet.
I'll be downloading and flashing via USB as soon as I get home

maybe it was the fact i changed my AP yesterday. it was asking me to update my internet settings.

Associate
just tried doing mine using the tv update thing it's not having it saying it's already up to date , its definitely on 7.0 software version is PKG6.5631

Associate
just tried doing mine using the tv update thing it's not having it saying it's already up to date , its definitely on 7.0 software version is PKG6.5631
I extracted the update onto an empty USB key.
With the TV on and on the home screen, I inserted the USB and it automatically started the update process.

[Edit] happy to report that DTS passthrough is working again with my soundbar

Last edited:
Soldato
Just a heads up for people wanting to install via USB, make sure to format the USB stick to fat32 and default sector's on the windows format and unzip and copy to the root directory. Ntfs and exfat will not work it thinks it is not an update file and comes up with the wrong menu. When done right just sticking the USB into the TV will show the update screen and it copying the file to the TV.

All hdr apps work as before so no issues like some in USA had with their update and it was easily fixed by reinstalling the apps anyways.

To update with a USB stick follow what I said above. I updated now too. Will shout if I spot anything strange as I was not having issues on previous update.

Associate
Noticed the Dolby Vision symbol doesn’t go max brightness now. Interface does seem a bit slicker but I never use it due to Sky Q and Apple TV 4K.

Associate
Trying to update my TV now.

TV detected the file and copied it, said something about it taking upto 15 minutes. TV switched itself off about 10 minutes ago. No flashing light, and it doesn't respond to the remote control power button.

Is this normal ?

Soldato
i just updated using NTFS so that isn't correct

When I tried to update from android 7 before it would not work unless the stick was fat32 or it would think it was a file to open on one of the apps and it would not detect the update file. This was from originally going from 7 to the first 8 update. This time I just did what I did before and worked fine too. So no idea if you are updating from 8 old to 8 new and ntfs works now for that, BUT from 7 to 8 it will need to be fat32.

Also to note I'm noticing some things with this update and wondering if it was a good idea now from the original 8 update that actually caused me no issues.

First thing I noticed is when in youtube app and playing HDR content the menu for youtube and tv menu (action menu and the picture mode etc) are very dark now and same happens when using the hdmi inputs with hdr DV or HDR10 (Oppo 203 4k player).

Now the funny thing is it will work correctly (action menu, picture mode, sound etc) and not be darker on the Netflix app when using HDR content DV or HDR10.

That's what I have noticed so far and I also notice the colours seem to be hotter on the standard mode which I was happy with before but now I'm sure it is off and not as good as it was.

Yes I restored the TV to factory and reinstalled all apps to latest versions as a test too and same results as before.

As said above too the Dolby Vision notification is darker on HDMI inputs and on the Netflix app it is normal and bright as it was before. Something has changed for sure.

Soldato
Trying to update my TV now.

TV detected the file and copied it, said something about it taking upto 15 minutes. TV switched itself off about 10 minutes ago. No flashing light, and it doesn't respond to the remote control power button.

Is this normal ?

No it should restart a few times and come back on to the main screen or the accepting the privacy screen rubbish. It took like 20 minutes to complete the whole process and stayed on and said it was complete and to remove the usb stick.

What was the last screen you saw ? was it the one where it says updating and a picture of a hand and red circle with a line threw it and the power cable. Basically saying don't unplug. If that screen went away and it didn't restart it may have locked up, but make sure you saw it go away and the bar was complete.

But if it has been more than 30mins like that (locked up) it has locked up and may require a power cycle (unplug from wall and wait a minute and then plug back in and cross your fingers it didn't get bricked).

Last edited:
Associate
But if it has been more than 30mins like that (locked up) it has locked up and may require a power cycle (unplug from wall and wait a minute and then plug back in and cross your fingers it didn't get bricked).

It said it was copying the file from the USB stick, then the TV switched itself off, and stayed off.

I waited over half an hour and decided the only thing to do was to power cycle (as you suggested). Just done that and it's now updating (bar running across the screen). No mention about having to power cycle on the Sony website. I thought it was bricked, but hopefully it'll be OK now.

It did complete the update, and is working fine. This might be have been just a glitch, but if anyone else's TV powers down after the initial copying phase, and doesn't power back up automatically after a few minutes, I suggest powering down at the mains, wait 15 seconds then power back up again. I didn't have to press the power button on the remote, the TV commenced the update procedure a few seconds after mains power was restored.

Last edited:
Soldato
i just updated using NTFS so that isn't correct

This change log here explains the file system issues and changes that were not on the official change logs. As you see they made changes in Oreo regarding NTFS and exFAT and improved USB mass storage compatibility. So you updating on a USB formatted in NTFS must be from Old Oreo (android 8) to new Oreo update, people on Android 7 will need to format USB to FAT32 to update.

https://translate.google.co.uk/tran...en-mit-oreo-atv2-fw-6-6510/m-p/2617735#M36370

Experience with Oreo (ATV2 FW 6.6510)
Optimizations and bug fixes in 6.6510 (unofficial changelog)

• correct brightness and color settings for VP9.2 (YouTube HDR)
  • Added support for DTS passthrough
  • Fixed writing of NTFS and exFAT partitions
  • Fixed guide search (cast / title)
Optimizations and bug fixes in 6.5830 (unofficial changelog)

• WLAN is connected much faster after standby
  • WiFi Direct does not stay active after a screen mirroring session, causing problems (eg no 5GHz WiFi)
  • Remote start now works reliably (but the TV barely goes into deep sleep or wakes up most of the time)
  • PAL recordings are now played back at the correct 50 or 100Hz
  • improved DVB-C tuner sensitivity
  • Alexa: the same TV name can be reused after Factory Reset
  • improved USB mass storage compatibility
  • Overscan problem when playing various H.264 videos in 2.35: 1 format in Plex fixed (green line at the bottom of the screen)
  • Vewd Internet Browser can now play videos up to 4K (60p still jerky from HD)
  • DTV events found via the Android TV search now show the channel name and can be programmed for recording
Audio passthrough

Audio passthrough finally works correctly for all ARC specified audio formats (at a 192kHz clock rate) , ie Dolby Digital (AC3), Dolby Digital Plus (EAC3, also Atmos) and DTS.

The BRAVIA even pretends to be able to output DTS-HD via HDMI-ARC:

Audio Device Info

ProductName: BRAVIA 4K GB ATV3

Type: HDMI ARC

Encoding: PCM16 / AC3 / E-AC3 / DTS / DTS-HD / LC-AAC / HE-AAC V1 / HE-AAC V2

ChannelMasks: 1.0 / 2.0 / 5.1 / 7.1

SampleRates: 8000/11025/16000/22050/24000/32000/44100/48000

The lossless DTS-HD MA naturally extracts the DTS compatible core for output. This does not work correctly. The audio output comes with a DTS-compatible receiver in both DTS-HD MA ( sample clip ) and HRA reproducible after a few seconds to a halt.

YouTube 4K HDR

YouTube HDR has been around since the end of 2016. For more than two years, it has not been available on the Android TV platform, and after a good half-year of availability, Sony has finally got its turn, brightness and color space settings for VP9.2 HDR To take material clean.

Unfortunately, with 60fps 4K videos (eg The World in HDR in 4K ) still a constant micro stuttering perceptible, but this is probably due to the poorly optimized YouTube 2.0 App, which eats a lot of CPU and also in the navigation is much less reactive than it still YouTube 1.0 (especially at 2160p60 playback).

Standby issues

Even 4 years after the launch of the Android TV platform, the processor in the BRAVIAs still wakes up at least every 5 minutes, which also causes devices connected via HDMI to be tickled and USB drives to be regularly driven up and down. The main culprit is Google itself (Google Mobile Services or Google Cloud Messaging). Even third party apps are always able to wake up the processor via the RTC timer and make calls home. It is still noticeable that the operating system has its origins in the mobile sector, where the requirements are different than on the TV.

Remote start makes things even worse. Various devices such as NAS or network printers can keep the processor permanently awake (Bonjour / mDNS queries).

Advertising and spying

Samba TV is back in Oreo , a piece of software whose sole purpose is to collect data about our usage patterns, which are then sold to advertisers. At the same time, this Trojan has a negative impact on the performance of the TV. Sadly, the means used by manufacturers to increase profits and even accept that the function of their own equipment is impaired.

In addition, Google recently switched to advertising channels on the main screen, which can not be permanently hidden.

Oreo channels

Although the idea is basically good, Oreo channels do not bring great value. For most apps such as Prime Video, ZDF, ProSieben, etc., there are none, many other apps show recommendations without any reference. Netflix is still unable to add content to My Selection, a feature demonstrated on Google I / O in 2017. Even video previews are still missing. Why one has exchanged the background video playback for it is beyond me.

Channels can not be set per Google Account. Personalization is still an unsolved problem.

performance

Performance is still poor, mainly due to a combination of slow processor and poorly optimized apps. Oreo also does no miracles here. Various apps like DAZN or Prime Video are quite sluggish in operation. Also, the navigation on the HOME screen becomes sluggish, the more channels you turn on.

The system is still overcrowded with dozens of useless Sony services (even though Sony has cleaned up with Oreo), which means apps in the background often need to be closed to free up RAM. Removing some of these services makes the system noticeably more reactive.

App Switcher

Unfortunately, the original version of the App Switcher in Oreo no longer exists, allowing you to quickly and conveniently switch between the most recently used apps and shoot down hanging apps. However, you can see that this is still available in the depths of the OS, if you attach a keyboard and press ALT + TAB. Sony should look at nVIDIA, how to do that ( CLICK ). There you can conjure up the App Switcher namely in Oreo by double pressing the HOME button.

Alexa

The Alexa integration still leaves something to be desired. The functionality is spartan, the supported voice commands are largely impractical or do not work properly (eg volume control / mute when audio is output via HDMI ARC, channel switching by channel name).

The ability to turn on the TV via voice command requires the remote start feature, which I do not recommend to enable, as it can react too sensitive depending on the network. In my home network, the TV barely stays in deep sleep. The processor wakes up even more often than already and consumes the majority of ~ 20W in standby.

Google Assistant

Also Google Assistant works more badly than right. If you have not tried it for a long time, it may take several seconds after activation for voice commands to be accepted. Videos in the background usually jerk or come to a complete standstill (also depending on the reproducing app) while Google Assistant does his work. The sluggishness and speed drops are probably due to the combination of a weak processor with low RAM and poorly optimized software.

Still a problem is the app support. Prime Video and many others do not even dive into the voice search, Netflix is still looking for only the US catalog, which leads to false results in this country.

HDR

It quickly becomes clear that HDR is still in its infancy. OS and apps are barely prepared for it. Although HDR videos can be played, but the TV switches to the appropriate mode, everything except the video itself (eg GUI) is displayed with distorted colors. This can be seen in Kodi, for example, when navigating in HDR playback in the menu or in Prime Video when playing the series I Love Dick in the original version (OV), which is in true 2.35: 1, where the app or the TV is responsible for inserting the black bars. These are shown in dark gray instead of black.

ARC / CEC compatibility issues with Apple TV 4K

You can expect all sorts of bad luck if you operate an Apple TV 4K directly on the BRAVIA in addition to the audio output via ARC. Apparently these are compatibility issues between BRAVIA Sync (HDMI-CEC) and the Apple TV 4K.

For example, if you switch on the TV, the Apple TV 4K on HDMI2 usually causes the input to the soundbar to be switched to the HDMI3 / ARC input. In addition, the soundbar is often activated in standby mode. All this does not happen, depends on the Apple TV 4K.

The most serious problem, however, is that the BRAVIA often does not recognize a signal from the Apple TV 4K on the HDMI2 after standby. The BRAVIA must then be restarted.

Sony pushes the black Peter as always, in the case of Apple. The fact is, with Samsung and LG, these problems do not exist. No matter who is now responsible for the problems, why not just sit down at a table and solve the problems in the interests of the consumer, is beyond me. Especially since Sony and Apple always had a good relationship ...

New bugs

• As a device memory extended USB mass storage device often stays in the ejected state after a long standby ( bug ticket )
  • Input Delay in Video & TV SideView App Remote ( Bug Ticket )
  • WLAN connection problems after restart / cold start ( bug ticket )
  • TV does not boot with attached USB mass storage ( bug ticket )
  • DTS-HD API or DTS Core extraction with DTS-HD MA and HRA does not work correctly ( bug-ticket )
Conclusion

Sony has fixed some bugs with Oreo. The list of non-fixed (sometimes serious) problems at the system level is still long (see bug tracker ). There are also some new problems as usual with big updates.

Even Android TV is still not what you would want from a good Smart TV platform after the Oreo update, which is in equal parts but also to the service providers, the possibilities, the Android TV offers (integration in the voice search, Channels) in which apps do not exhaust. In addition, most apps are not sufficiently optimized for the weak processor.

The latest developments in espionage software and non-deactivatable advertising channels can only be described as disgusting!

Soldato
https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/...series/kd-75xf9005/downloads/00016047#version

Official change log:-

Firmware update to v6.6510
Applicable Models

This information is for the following models:

• KD-65AF8
  • KD-55AF8
  • KD-75XF9005
  • KD-65XF9005
  • KD-55XF9005
  • KD-49XF9005
  • KD-65XF8796
  • KD-55XF8796
  • KD-49XF8796
  • KD-43XF8796
  • KD-65XF8599
  • KD-55XF8599
  • KD-49XF8599
  • KD-43XF8599
  • KD-85XF8596
  • KD-75XF8596
  • KD-65XF8596
  • KD-55XF8596
  • KD-49XF8596
  • KD-43XF8596
  • KD-65XF8588
  • KD-55XF8588
  • KD-49XF8588
  • KD-43XF8588
  • KD-65XF8577
  • KD-55XF8577
  • KD-49XF8577
  • KD-43XF8577
  • KD-65XF8505
  • KD-55XF8505
  • KD-49XF8505
  • KD-43XF8505
  • KD-70XF8305
  • KD-60XF8305
  • KD-55XF8096
  • KD-49XF8096
  • KD-43XF8096
  • KD-65XF7596
  • KD-55XF7596
  • KD-49XF7596
  • KD-43XF7596
  • KDL-49WF805
  • KDL-43WF805
  • KDL-49WF804
  • KDL-43WF804
About this download
Benefits and improvements from the latest update
For users that have already downloaded firmware v6.5830 (Android 8.0 Oreo):

• Improves the user experience of the channel list presets
  • Resolves sound issues - via the ARC port connected to your Sound Bar, A/V Receiver or Home Theater System - when switching on the TV from standby
  • Resolves sound issues playing some specific file formats using the internal video player app
  • Improved system performance during TV startup sequence
  • Restores the Program Guide’s Search by title function
For users upgrading prior to firmware v6.5830, the improvements (mentioned above) have also been added, along with the following:

• The following features/issues will be added, improved or resolved after updating to Android™ 8.0 Oreo™:
    • Introduces a new Home screen menu
      • Relocated “On Timer” icon (top right-hand side) on the home screen menu
    • Introduces Google Tours (tutorial)
    • Introduces a redesigned Initial Setup menu
    • Introduces a redesigned Content Bar or TV Menu Bar
    • Introduces firmware benefits list (preview window)
    • Introduces Accessibility Shortcut (On/Off switch):
      • Press and hold the MUTING button on the remote control for three seconds to turn ON/OFF accessibility functions such as Screen reader or Text magnification.
    • Introduces new keyboard layout, functionality and languages (including Hebrew)
    • Introduces the option to launch App View/Sony Select directly from the remote control (using the APPS button)
    • Improved Google Assistant search function for broadcast content
    • Improved country and region settings
      • Descriptions have been added to some languages in the Language settings menu
    • Improved user experience for the Video, Music and Photo apps
    • Improved Set-top box key support (Guide/Title List key)
    • Resolves picture noise in Netflix Dolby Vision content (dark solarisation)
    • Improves behaviour of externally connected devices when TV is in standby
  • The following features will be removed after updating to this software:
    • PlayMemories Online
    • IPv6 setup (ON/OFF) setting
    • Wi-Fi Direct standby mode
    • PlayStation Video app no longer pre-installed
      • You can still access the app by downloading it from the Google Play Store
    NOTE:
    • For more information on the features and improvements, please go to: https://www.sony.net/androidtv-updateTO/
    • Android is a trademark of Google LLC; Oreo is a trademark of Mondelez International, Inc. group.
Previous benefits and improvements
The following benefits and improvements are also included in this update.

• Improves Hybrid Log Gamma (HLG) picture brightness for Vivid mode
  • Improved compatibility with the Home Theatre Control app
  • Dolby Vision content is supported for video streaming apps/services installed on the TV such as Amazon Prime Video and Netflix*
    *Selected Sony TVs (XF90 and AF8 Series) support Dolby Vision with the software update which was rolled out in Europe in June, 2018. To enjoy Dolby Vision content, the video streaming app/service must support Dolby Vision. For more information, please contact the app/service provider. In addition, after the Sony TV receives the software update, devices with Dolby Vision playback (such streaming media players and UHD Blu-ray players) that are connected to the Sony TV by HDMI will also require a software update to support Dolby Vision playback through the device. For more information on the timing of an update to a particular player, please contact the player’s manufacturer.
  • Introduces the feature of adding new apps to “My Apps” on the TV menu bar
  • Improves X-Motion Clarity control

Back
Top Bottom