Sony XF90

Caporegime
First time I run a game in HDR and the XF90 just gets ABSOLUTELY CRUSHED, and that's in Tetris Effect. Oh so pretty and fun, but man is this game a perfect OLED advertisement. Really making me think about adding an oled as a 2nd TV to use for just such occasions. Hmmmmmm.

what you are talking about actually is an OLED issue under macro blocking. never heard of it on the XF90.

so your settings must be wrong somewhere.

Soldato
I'm yet to see any HDR content on the XF90 that I've thought "Oh, that looks better on an OLED". Sounds like bad settings.
Ofc certain content looks better on OLED.

what you are talking about actually is an OLED issue under macro blocking. never heard of it on the XF90.

so your settings must be wrong somewhere.

Not talking abou macro blocking. It's the local dimming that can't keep up, it's bloom city.

If you guys try it out you'll understand.

Caporegime
Ofc certain content looks better on OLED.

Not talking abou macro blocking. It's the local dimming that can't keep up, it's bloom city.

If you guys try it out you'll understand.

why did you use the word crushed then as that is in regards to blacks and dark scenes with no detail. now your talking about bloom which is bright whites with dark surroundings. 2 completely different scenarios.

i've not had nay bloom issues on mine yet, again settings can help with how aggressive the bright whites are.

Soldato
Enjoyed some two player Goldeneye on the N64 over the weekend. I finally found the issue with the AV port was that the TV couldn’t accept a 240p input but it worked fine with an HD upscaler. The whites were blinding though so had to turn the brightness and contrast way down. Fantastic playing on a big screen though, many lols. Passed it through the ARC connection on the soundbar so sounded great too :D

Soldato
Banging my head against a wall and I have to be missing something. Trying to rename my inputs and when I do using the remote, when it gets to the inputting of the name I press the middle button on the remote and it pops up saying "Use the keyboard on your mobile device". So I do (via the app on my mobile), I enter the name I want to use and then... nothing. There is no "ok" button or any combination of button presses I have tried so far will progress to another screen. Help!

Edit: I worked it out. Gboard wasn't enabled and it was actually greyed out. I had to enable a Japanese keyboard and only then was Gboard enabled. Weird but whatever, all working now!

Last edited:
Associate
55" version is down to £824, can't decide if I should bite and get this or wait until Black Friday and hope for a good discount on the XG9505. I'd like the newer faster processor and new remote, but will I notice the difference :confused:

I would be upgrading from a Sony KDL 55W829B, TV will be used with a mix of Netflix, Prime Video, PS4, Xbox One S, Apple TV 4k and Nowtv. Sound via a Sonos Beam, subwoofer and two Play 1's.

Soldato
55" version is down to £824, can't decide if I should bite and get this or wait until Black Friday and hope for a good discount on the XG9505. I'd like the newer faster processor and new remote, but will I notice the difference :confused:

I would be upgrading from a Sony KDL 55W829B, TV will be used with a mix of Netflix, Prime Video, PS4, Xbox One S, Apple TV 4k and Nowtv. Sound via a Sonos Beam, subwoofer and two Play 1's.
I have a 50w829 in the bedroom and the XF90 really is night and day in comparison. Black levels and brightness are way better.

General consensus over at AVForums is not to bother with the XG if you can get the XF at a great price. It doesn't improve on much.

Soldato
Picked up the 55" yesterday as an upgrade for the bedroom TV, very pleased with the image quality but still have yet to play with the settings a bit. Initial findings are that yep it's brighter than an oled but dark scenes still have signs of blooming that I can't help but focus on, that aside at this price point it's unbeatable.

Has anyone sideloaded fandango now and tried the UHD IMAX movies out? I noticed far from home has the feature. Going to try it out tomorrow night anyhow. I've managed to sideload Vudu so far and that's working without a hitch during my limited testing.

Associate
I've finally bite the bullet and ordered a 55" XF9005, comes Monday. Been looking at various other TV's, Samsung RU800 and Panasonic tx58gx800b and according to the reviews the Sony is the better TV.

Soldato
You'd think so - that'd just be a limitation of the box, likely.

Apologies, my train of thought was that the actual stand alone app from Apple was available on the TV's built in Android OS. Furthermore the XF90 is not one of the listed models due to get the Apple TV standalone app so again my train of thought was that it had been sideloaded on to the set.

In any case I'v loaded Movies anywhere on to the TV and once logged in via a VPN (only required for logging in) all my titles are available which are mirrored on my ATV in the living room via MA (they are also available via the baked in play movies app but meh I like to mess around with Android TV) .

Last edited:
Soldato
Sorry for the thread resurrection, but I'm considering a KD55XF9005BU and was wondering how plex performs on it, Iis there a native plex app? If so, does it handle subtitles okay?
IFfnot, does the direct play handle sus ok?
My main concern is that my NAS isn't beefy enough to transcode subs into films at 1080p, so if the TV can't handle the srt subtitles natively, then Plex will try to transcode them in and the media will become unwatchable.
My current LG used to play them fine (via direct play), but then something went wonky and all videos started breifly stuttering heavily every 10 secs or so, and as far as I can tell it's something gone wrong with the TV.
I've been using the (awful) PS4 app to watch since, as that doesn't skip, but it doesn't support subs natively, so I can only watch non-subs media.

Thanks in advance!

Soldato
Sorry for the thread resurrection, but I'm considering a KD55XF9005BU and was wondering how plex performs on it, Iis there a native plex app? If so, does it handle subtitles okay?
My main concern is that my NAS isn't beefy enough to transcode subs into films at 1080p, so if the TV can't handle the srt subtitles natively, then Plex will try to transcode them in and the media will become unwatchable.
My current LG used to play them fine (via direct play), but then something went wonky and all videos started breifly stuttering heavily every 10 secs or so, and as far as I can tell it's something gone wrong with the TV.
I've been using the (awful) PS4 app to watch since, as that doesn't skip, but it doesn't support subs natively, so I can only watch non-subs media.

Thanks in advance!

I have the 48/49” (can never remember which it is lol) version of the tv and it is great with native plex. I stream all sorts to it including 4K hdr. Subs work fine whether embedded or as a .srt file you can chop and change between them. Only thing I don’t like is I only seem to be able to forward 30 secs at a time so getting to an hour in a film is 120 button presses lol, I think it’s something to do with how I have harmony setup but usually if I know I need to get to that point for that tv I just quickly use my iPad or iPhone to get to the right point before starting on the tv.

Caporegime

Thanks in advance!

i wouldn't choose a tv based on it's plex abilities. buy a decent tv and if it can't do what you need it to then buy a 4k chromecast or 4k fire tv, etc.

it's only £30-£50 to add a decent smart end onto any tv

Back
Top Bottom