Spec me a car to use as a parking space holder

Soldato
OP
I can see this escalating quite badly for all parties.

Is there no way you can all have a grown up chat?

They aren't the type to chat and the current arrangement of them parking outside my house is the most optimal for them. They will only stand to lose.

My brother has parked outside their house before and they tried to have a go at him. When I heard about that I had a stern word with their family. I wouldn't mind reaching a harmonious solution but it won't happen.

Sounds a lot of chew to pee off a neighbour. Technically it is street parking so they're not your spots. Why not just park over their house to make a point?

Send them all glitter bonbs

Given they have 4 cars, they tend not to leave the space outside of their house free and will move cars into place quickly. It's rare that I see a spot to steal.

Of course, the parking spots don't belong to us, which is why I have been keen to say 'space outside my house' rather than 'my spot' but it is selfish of them to immediately nab the area I would park in and force me onto the grass. I would be more understanding if their cars were worth anything but the banger I am looking to buy as a parking space reserver would probably still overshadow theirs.

--

SORN wouldn't work because it has to be off the road.

Soldato
I would be careful in a situation like this, as annoying and selfish as they are, escalating the situation will only cause more hassle IMO. Disputes like this can become very hostile quickly.

Are all of their cars taxed?

Soldato
All the OP is doing is buying another car which will probably only be used a a few times a month. And will be moved so that the more expensive car doesn't have to be parked on the verge. They can't exactly argue that he's got too many cars, now can they? :p

Soldato
Yea turning the front yard in to a drive and getting a dropped kerb would be best. Then if they block it they'll get towed and a fine.

Soldato
Don't think I'd bother with all the hassle to make a point. You don't own the road and it's a case of who gets there first.

I'm similar though in that all cars park on the left infront of our terraced row to leave the right side clear which is the side with flat gardens with enough space for a drive.

Directly infront of ours is a disabled bay with a car from across the road, infront of that is his rover 75 that doesn't move and gets its tyres pumped up every month (taxed and. MOTd). The same house has a work van they also park in the row but also in the street to the side of their house. I once parked behind the disabled bay were disabled bays neighbour usually parks....came home to his back bumper about an inch off mine. Point made. I also managed to park in the rover 75 space when it moved the one time this year, i left an hour later for 10 minutes and he had claimed it back.

My neighbour has two cars and the next one has 3. Basically no driveways and the streets are from when there were less cars on the road.

I end up parking about 100 yards away round a corner and my car has plenty of marks now from the crap setup.

Soldato
OP
Driveway conversion definitely isn't a possibility. All of their cars are taxed, MOTd etc.

I do not think they are the type to deliberately damage somebody else's property, the Dad is a retired police officer (I've no idea how) and whilst they are selfish and inconsiderate, I wouldn't expect that from them. They're just incredibly annoying to have as neighbours.

Don't think I'd bother with all the hassle to make a point. You don't own the road and it's a case of who gets there first.

I'm similar though in that all cars park on the left infront of our terraced row to leave the right side clear which is the side with flat gardens with enough space for a drive.

Directly infront of ours is a disabled bay with a car from across the road, infront of that is his rover 75 that doesn't move and gets its tyres pumped up every month (taxed and. MOTd). The same house has a work van they also park in the row but also in the street to the side of their house. I once parked behind the disabled bay were disabled bays neighbour usually parks....came home to his back bumper about an inch off mine. Point made. I also managed to park in the rover 75 space when it moved the one time this year, i left an hour later for 10 minutes and he had claimed it back.

My neighbour has two cars and the next one has 3. Basically no driveways and the streets are from when there were less cars on the road.

I end up parking about 100 yards away round a corner and my car has plenty of marks now from the crap setup.

Not sure I'm interpreting the beginning and end of this correctly. So you wouldn't bother with the hassle to make a point but you have found from having to park your car around the corner, that you now have plenty of marks?

I am not doing this to make a point, I am doing it so as to protect my car from having to be parked in a spot that isn't optimal.

Soldato
Pretty much.

I've given up caring as I enjoy a quiet life and I've decided I won't get a newer/nicer car until I have a driveway.

This area is so bad for parking that fire engines struggle to get further in to the area due to it.

Associate
Definitely Mondeo. They're big and cheap.

Love a parking war, my father in law has had one going for about 5 years with his next door neighbour with an almost identical situation.

Soldato
We have to buy and display a parking permit to park here. A while back we had one guy who rented a property down the far end of the street that used to park his Mercedes Sprinter outside our house and who never had a parking permit, he used to get fines on his window all the time, but I guess he just didn't care. It really got to me as not only did it prevent me from parking outside the house but with it being such a tall van it blocked all the sunlight into the front room where my old man's hospital bed was located which meant that not only was he confined to a bed, but he got no sun and no view bar this van. I spoke to the bloke a few times about the situation, always politely and never got arsey with him, but he just shrugged his shoulders and ignored any request.

The guy was in the building trade and used to leave all his tools in this van, so I just printed out A4 notes to place on the van that informed the local knobheads that this particular van contained quite a hefty haul of expensive tools and that they should under no circumstances attempt to steal them. He didn't take too kindly to that, but it took less than a week for him to realise the error of his ways and start parking elsewhere. A month or so later he got evicted for not paying rent.

Caporegime
I just can't see any possible way this will make things any better. If your aim is to make things worse, sure, but better?

What happens when the 2nd (real) car in your household goes out at the same time as you? You're only "reserving" one spot, so the problem will just shuffle down one, no?

Doesn't seem worth it for the upkeep (to keep it ongoing MOT'd), tax and insurance just to save you from having to park further away. If you were getting a 2nd car because you WANTED one then that'd be different. Perhaps look to take up green laning/offroading and buy a large 4x4 that will have no issues parking on the verge ;)

Soldato
If you go down this route you are going to have to be prepared that things can escalate.

Nothing to stop them buying a cheap car and leaving it permanently parked outside your house or when you move the blocker car out the space in front of your house they park in the spot before you have parked it up and got back to your other car.

It it surprising how issues like this can escalate a friend moved into a new house I went to visit parked up in the free for all parking lay-by across from his house and a woman came running out shouting at me that was her husband’s space and to move. I didn’t (would have if she hadn’t been shouting at me) and was then blocked in on his return, I didn’t want to start an argument but he wouldn’t move luckily I have another car so left it in the space for a couple of weeks making sure to have a camera pointing over incase of damage. I didn’t move it until he had parked his car somewhere else.

What surprised me was the amount of spaces available elsewhere just not directly in front of the house.

Back
Top Bottom