Spec me a CCTV System

Soldato
Right guys, need 2x cameras and a DVR. Was originally looking at the Hikvision 4mp cameras.

Was going to buy this evening, but they all seem to be these new HiWatch cameras. Checking this thread, they don't seem any better, but maybe worse than the 'normal' ones.

Is this the best for the money? http://www.cctvkits.co.uk/hiwatch-by-hikvision-1-4-camera-4mp-ip-cctv-camera-kit-builder.html

I don't know that the HiWatch are worse per-se than the Professional range but the build quality is cheaper, as is the price. From what I've seen the picture quality is perfectly acceptable/good and that some users might be being a little pedantic or elitist. I don't really know a great deal and it's not my area of expertise so half expect to stand corrected :)

I was going to pick up a HiWatch IPC-D120 or IPC-D140 to go with my 2 Pro's but have decided it's not really necessary right now.

Soldato
Can anyone suggest a suitable camera that can be linked to a POE router and has the ability to be accessed over the internet and record either internally to a memory card or to a computer. Wont need any more than a days recording really but 3-4 would be useful.

The Hikvision models 2335 (low level light), 2355 and the 4K model 2385 allow an SD Card up to 128GB to be used in them for storage. No NVR is needed for recording. You can record directly to a NAS instead if you wish. They are h.265 cams meaning less storage space required.

For remote viewing over the internet, use can use Hikvision’s cloud service which is simple to setup and avoids unsafe port forwarding.

Soldato
I don't know that the HiWatch are worse per-se than the Professional range but the build quality is cheaper, as is the price. From what I've seen the picture quality is perfectly acceptable/good and that some users might be being a little pedantic or elitist. I don't really know a great deal and it's not my area of expertise so half expect to stand corrected :)

I was going to pick up a HiWatch IPC-D120 or IPC-D140 to go with my 2 Pro's but have decided it's not really necessary right now.

Better off buying Hikvision kit of eBay or Aliexpress. I have absolutely no interest in this HiWatch stuff. To be honest if you were to buy from Aliexpress, I would be buying Dahua instead of Hikvision. My next cameras will be Dahua and integrate them into my Hikvision setup.

Soldato

I took a punt on a hiwatch. Setup just the same as my other hiks and the picture quality is as good as the one it replaced. It's a bit plastic fantastic but so far so good. Perfectly fine on my house

Soldato
When buying Hik from AliExpress is 'international version' the one we want for the UK? Some say international, some say overseas and some (very few) say English

DHR

DHR

Soldato
Hoping someone can give me a pointer on placement. The guy I have lined up to install my hikvision camera has said it'll have to go on a soffit.

Problem being I can't decide where is best to cover as much of the drive way as possible? More bothered about seeing people go up either side of the house? Any suggestions?

151094_283435_1_IMG_01_0000_max_656x437.jpg

Soldato
Hoping someone can give me a pointer on placement. The guy I have lined up to install my hikvision camera has said it'll have to go on a soffit.

Problem being I can't decide where is best to cover as much of the drive way as possible? More bothered about seeing people go up either side of the house? Any suggestions?

151094_283435_1_IMG_01_0000_max_656x437.jpg
IMHO I'd have a serious rethink .. Won't catch anything useful at thar height

Soldato
Camera shouldn't make much difference. My guess is that the installer said that to make his job easier lol.

No other reason I can see why he cannot mount the hik at a sensible height

Would it not involve running cables down the side of the house or pull up floors to hide them?

Soldato
I always like to have at least one camera up high on the soffit which covers as much area as possible. More for noseyness and for capturing activity outside of your property. For face capturing, 8ft has always been mentioned as an ideal height.

Soldato
Right guys, need 2x cameras and a DVR. Was originally looking at the Hikvision 4mp cameras.

Was going to buy this evening, but they all seem to be these new HiWatch cameras. Checking this thread, they don't seem any better, but maybe worse than the 'normal' ones.

Is this the best for the money? http://www.cctvkits.co.uk/hiwatch-by-hikvision-1-4-camera-4mp-ip-cctv-camera-kit-builder.html

Any thoughts guys? Can you suggest anything better for the money? Any reason not to go with this? It's a minefield this!

Back
Top Bottom