Spec me a CCTV System

Soldato
Any thoughts guys? Can you suggest anything better for the money? Any reason not to go with this? It's a minefield this!

If night time recording is a priority then you need the 2335. If you aren’t bothered about recording at night as you are more at risk of being robbed during the day etc, then a higher MP cam like the 2355 or the 4K 2385 would be an option but they aren’t the best for night footage.

The 2335/2355/2385 have onboard storage for an SD Card so you don’t need an NVR since you only need two cams but that depends if you plan to get more cams.

Soldato
Cheers! More research to do.

It's mainly night I'm concerned about. We've had multiple vans broken into over the last few months, we had 3 last week alone. My partner has also had her wing mirror broken twice last week.

We've had neighbours share their footage of the suspects, but they're just a blurry pixel which is completely useless.

Soldato
Well I finally bought my kit the other day!

Went with a mix of 2342 and 2335 cameras (depending on location of each one) and a DS-7608NI-K2-8P with a 4TB WD Purple drive.

Looking forward to setting it all up :D

Soldato
Bit of advice needed please;

This is an old Google Maps image, hence the blurriness in places.

My house is the middle one. My car is parked in front of the neighbours house highlighted by red box.

1. I originally plan on mounting a camera on the soffit outside the bedroom window. Probably a turret type. Mainly due to the ease of fitting and adjustment without the need of ladders. I hope this will give a wide view of the front of the house and car. Sound like an OK plan? Not sure which side as of yet (if it's makes any difference).

2. I was also planning on installing one lower down at porch height, just below the wall tiles. With the mixture of the two cameras at different heights and using different lenses, I assume this should be good enough?

Any thoughts or advice?

DQIPgOO.png

Soldato
Where did you get the cameras from? Or is it a competitor of ocuk?
Cameras are from aliexpress
I assume you dropped down to 3MP of the 2335 for the better low light viewing?
Correct. They are newer technology and from the ultra low light range unlike the 2342. Also they support h265 compression

Got 2342 for areas I'd prefer better day footage and also where there is some lighting at night

Soldato
Bit of advice needed please;

This is an old Google Maps image, hence the blurriness in places.

My house is the middle one. My car is parked in front of the neighbours house highlighted by red box.

1. I originally plan on mounting a camera on the soffit outside the bedroom window. Probably a turret type. Mainly due to the ease of fitting and adjustment without the need of ladders. I hope this will give a wide view of the front of the house and car. Sound like an OK plan? Not sure which side as of yet (if it's makes any difference).

2. I was also planning on installing one lower down at porch height, just below the wall tiles. With the mixture of the two cameras at different heights and using different lenses, I assume this should be good enough?

Any thoughts or advice?

DQIPgOO.png
Not sure on what angle you're planning on having them point at. But if that is the sort of setup you're going for I'd probably have the porch height one facing the car, and the higher one facing 'up' the road that leads to your driveway (can't see where the road is in your pic)

Soldato
Thanks for the input. The road is directly in front of the parking bays. It's a dead end to cars, but has a busy footpath which continues to the left of the pic.
Hmm alright, because I'm just thinking it would be somewhat pointless for the higher camera to point in the same direction as the lower one. Maybe point the higher one off in whichever direction people are more likely to come from.

Then have the lower one pointing at your driveway?

Soldato
Lower camera will capture a persons face better than a camera high up. That would be the most important camera. Do you have any outside lights on during the night? If you have, then a higher MP turret will do a better job if you turn the IR off. You don’t always need to be using IR if there is enough light outside. With no IR, you get full colour recording.

Soldato
Cameras are from aliexpress

Can I ask who the seller was, how many cams you ordered, DHL or China post and if you had to pay any import tax or vat?

My local supplier has received harsh words from Hikvision about selling to the general public and has been informed to cease selling so I might have to go down Aliexpress shortly. Got 10 2335’s delivered the other day so they could be my last.

Soldato
Lower camera will capture a persons face better than a camera high up. That would be the most important camera. Do you have any outside lights on during the night? If you have, then a higher MP turret will do a better job if you turn the IR off. You don’t always need to be using IR if there is enough light outside. With no IR, you get full colour recording.

Each house has a porch light with PIR sensor. Not particularly bright though. We don't have street lights this end either.

Soldato
Need to stick with the 2335 then. There is a 5/6MP Dahua Low level light cam floating around now but waiting on reviews which would be a tasty cam for your job.

If your light comes on when someone approaches your car, you could experiment with another cam having IR turned off on it so you have two cams recording in both b/w and colour.

Soldato
Can I ask who the seller was, how many cams you ordered, DHL or China post and if you had to pay any import tax or vat?

My local supplier has received harsh words from Hikvision about selling to the general public and has been informed to cease selling so I might have to go down Aliexpress shortly. Got 10 2335’s delivered the other day so they could be my last.
Sent you a trust :)

And as I imagine you will know, will one IR cam pointing at another IR cam cause each other issues?

Soldato
Pointing directly at each other isn’t a good thing. Kind of blinds the camera but pointing at a similar direction helps to boost the IR spread if you know what I mean. Two torches is better than one.

Soldato
Pointing directly at each other isn’t a good thing. Kind of blinds the camera but pointing at a similar direction helps to boost the IR spread if you know what I mean. Two torches is better than one.
Alright cool makes sense!
Where is everyone getting their Hikvision stuff from these days? Use-ip.co.uk seems the best? Read bad reviews about buying from China due to firmware updates and bricking them etc
I went with aliexpress, quite a money saving and seller and feedback says firmware updates are okay

NVR was from useIP though

Soldato
Where is everyone getting their Hikvision stuff from these days? Use-ip.co.uk seems the best? Read bad reviews about buying from China due to firmware updates and bricking them etc

If you buy the camera with English firmware and it states it is upgradeable, then the cam will have no issues and it’s identical to what you would buy from Use-IP but pay a hell of a lot more. Could get 2 cams from China for the price of one here.

Tbh, I would buy from eBay before Use-IP unless the price is very similar.

Soldato
If you buy the camera with English firmware and it states it is upgradeable, then the cam will have no issues and it’s identical to what you would buy from Use-IP but pay a hell of a lot more. Could get 2 cams from China for the price of one here.

Tbh, I would buy from eBay before Use-IP unless the price is very similar.
Exactly that! What I've paid is pretty much almost half price!

Back
Top Bottom