Spec me a CCTV System

Soldato
Hik-Connect uses UPnP to automatically forward the ports :)
Hik-Connect is Hikvisions cloud service. Works well on those 4G installations which I have to deal with now and again.
Thanks guys

I can confirm I have just forwarded only the server port and all seems to be working perfectly. No Hik-Connect.

HTTP port is pretty obvious... I imagine RTSP port is tied into that HTTP/browser viewing as the Android client seems to be working perfectly remotely with just the server port forwarded.

Will update though if I do find a particular feature not working :)

Associate
I'm new the this section, and after advice. I would like to set up a CCTV system at home. I have seen a kit from maplins , Swann 1080p 8 Channel 1TB DVR and 4 Heat-Sensing Camera CCTV Kit, firstly is it any good?
Can anyone recommend a different route? Ideally at the moment I don't want to spend much more than £300 on the whole system, will only need 2 cams at first but want to be able to expand in the future.
Any help will be much appreciated
GM

Soldato
Thanks guys

I can confirm I have just forwarded only the server port and all seems to be working perfectly. No Hik-Connect.

HTTP port is pretty obvious... I imagine RTSP port is tied into that HTTP/browser viewing as the Android client seems to be working perfectly remotely with just the server port forwarded.

Will update though if I do find a particular feature not working :)

Think you’ll be okay on the mobile app (for now) but some desktop viewing software likes to access the HTTP stream.

Soldato
I'm new the this section, and after advice. I would like to set up a CCTV system at home. I have seen a kit from maplins , Swann 1080p 8 Channel 1TB DVR and 4 Heat-Sensing Camera CCTV Kit, firstly is it any good?
Can anyone recommend a different route? Ideally at the moment I don't want to spend much more than £300 on the whole system, will only need 2 cams at first but want to be able to expand in the future.
Any help will be much appreciated
GM
If that Swann kit doesn’t use IP camera’s, then ditch it. No new installs should be using non IP camera’s. I don’t care how good TVI etc is, anyone installing a new install needs to be using IP cameras. They need a kick in the ass if they do.

TBH, Dahua or Hikvision and if you can’t stretch your budget then you won’t be installing a decent setup if you want to include a decent NVR with good storage.

Better holding out and saving more to your budget than buying that Swann system.

Last edited:
Associate
If that Swann kit doesn’t use IP camera’s, then ditch it. No new installs should be using non IP camera’s. I don’t care how good TVI etc is, anyone installing a new install needs to be using IP cameras. They need a kick in the ass if they do.

TBH, Dahua or Hikvision and if you can’t stretch your budget then you won’t be installing a decent setup if you want to include a decent NVR with good storage.

Better holding out and saving more to your budget than buying that Swann system.

so something like this then? http://www.cctvkits.co.uk/hiwatch-by-hikvision-1-4-camera-4mp-ip-cctv-camera-kit-builder.html

Soldato
Soldato
Can’t comment on the HiWatch range by Hikvision as I haven’t tested that range yet and there is a lack of reviews also but no doubt they would be better than the Swann system. If your a newbie to cctv and want something in kit form then that HiWatch kit would suit you down to the ground.

Stick to turrets. Don’t go for bullets.

Soldato
Back on the look out for a camera that connects to the Wi-Fi and has an app.
It will sit in doors, first floor looking over the drive. I'd need to double check to see if there's any power sockets in the cupboard but being easy access happy to have batteries (as long as it's not every other week).
To avoid pointing it too low an angle if you can select the zone to start recording. Any suggestions?

Soldato
I will look in the manual but somebody here likely knows

What is the showreel style symbol for on each cam when viewing hikvision directly from the nvr monitor?

Soldato
Anyone know how to get the Hikvision ivms-4500 app displayed on a LG smart TV or is it not possible ?
Not done it with Hik, I know some CCTV systems integrate with the likes of home control software. We tend to just use HDMI over Cat6 and do it that way to the TV.

Ahh simples.. Thanks

Assumed they'd just use a red circle like everyone else lol
That would be sensible ;)

Back
Top Bottom