Spec me a CCTV System

Soldato
Hope this hasn't already been asked

My 7608 is in loft with long HDMI lead down to monitor by the PC (I am in a bungalow) Was watching TV earlier and thought it would be nice to switch HDMI channels and get the cameras up - so googled and can get a HDMI splitter - So if I run another HDMI from splitter to TV will it work - Monitor and TV are 1080 - has anyone done this ? - Goodness knows why I have only just thought of it - systems been in nearly 3 years - Up to date I have not had any problems except it asks me occasionally for more secure passwords - just click no and it carries on as normal.

Soldato
Hope this hasn't already been asked

My 7608 is in loft with long HDMI lead down to monitor by the PC (I am in a bungalow) Was watching TV earlier and thought it would be nice to switch HDMI channels and get the cameras up - so googled and can get a HDMI splitter - So if I run another HDMI from splitter to TV will it work - Monitor and TV are 1080 - has anyone done this ? - Goodness knows why I have only just thought of it - systems been in nearly 3 years - Up to date I have not had any problems except it asks me occasionally for more secure passwords - just click no and it carries on as normal.

I use a HDMI slitter on a sky box to feed two TVs with the same picture and it works fine, don't know anything about the gear you are using but HDMI should be standard protocol. The only issue I had was when the TV's had different resolutions one would stay blank until I set them to match, but if everything in the system is 1080 then I think it should be ok.

Soldato
Have you got a expensive or cheap splitter - prices ranged from 12 to hundreds of pounds but 25 was price range I looked in

That's why I checked both for resolution as I read the splitter checks and set's itself for lowest - if you turn one off at mains then it rechecks and sends correct signal to the other -

Need to measure up how long a HDMI cable I will need - From what I read you should use reasonably good quality cables but I heard that in my HiFi days and for what I had it didn't make any difference.

Associate
You make it sound like I know what I'm talking about :D ha

I got 2342s from XinRay Store and 2335's from HIK Security Professional Store

Keep an eye on your aliexpress messages as they will message you there with regards to shipping info.

Did you get stung for any import taxes on your order? I have just placed an order from HIK professional store and they have messaged me asking me how much value they should declare?

Soldato
Im currently using Nest cam pointing out a window. Im moving house shortly and i need to monitor a 30m garden. I was thinking of just getting a couple of outdoor nest cams but priced it up and thought id check for alternatives! Can anyone point me to the best place to buy/research home CCTV? my budget is around £400 bit more bit less depending.

Also, is there such thing as an underwater camera? that could be on the same network?

So finally moved into the house last week and definitely need to get some cameras installed. I've got multiple blind spots and various points where people could jump over the fence. I think I could cover the garden arena with 4 cameras, then one for the side.

Hopefully someone can advise if i get some pics in the morning.

I've been using nest cam for the last couple years and really like the way the app works for notifications and the speed it connects at. Are the CCTV apps that come with these cameras similar to the nest app?

Soldato
So finally moved into the house last week and definitely need to get some cameras installed. I've got multiple blind spots and various points where people could jump over the fence. I think I could cover the garden arena with 4 cameras, then one for the side.

Hopefully someone can advise if i get some pics in the morning.

I've been using nest cam for the last couple years and really like the way the app works for notifications and the speed it connects at. Are the CCTV apps that come with these cameras similar to the nest app?
Hikvision app supports push notifications and seems decent to me so far

Soldato
Saw this last week on a new cam install but starts of dark and after a few seconds it brightens up. Had to recrimp the connector at the cam. Poor connection meant Speed/bandwidth issues.

Man of Honour
tempted to get a few ds-2cd2335fwd-i to start playing with a setup two questions though:
- is there any guidance as to working out which lens angle you go for?
- Im planning on using my diskstation to start of with which appears to work, but when i want to move on from that what base unit (?) are people using with it

Soldato
tempted to get a few ds-2cd2335fwd-i to start playing with a setup two questions though:
- is there any guidance as to working out which lens angle you go for?

There are a few demo videos on YouTube which should be sufficient.

Also bear in mind that the wider the lens, the less the 'quality' of the image as you've got the same amount of pixels still but over a larger area.

- Im planning on using my diskstation to start of with which appears to work, but when i want to move on from that what base unit (?) are people using with it

*NVR

See post 1652 for mine :)

Soldato
I haven't updated any of my HIK cameras or the NVR as all I read was horror stories, people seem to have major problems or features get removed, anyone else found this? Not upgrading firmware or software goes against the normal advise for most prducts.

Soldato
My Hikvision and monitor are currently under the stairs but I'd prefer to have the monitor elsewhere. I've got Cat 6 throughout my house so could I use an HDMI to ethernet extender box thingy? Does anyone have any experience of these?

Back
Top Bottom