Spec me a CCTV System

Associate
I am just testing two cameras before fitting them properly. I have a Hikvision 2335 and a 2385 and both seem great. The only issues so far are with the hik connect app. The quality in the app did not seem that good so I tried to adjust it. It has three options for video quality which are basic, normal and HD. Changing between basic and normal does not seem to do anything and changing to HD changes the main image settings on the camera to 720p, 10fps and a max bitrate of 512kbps and makes the picture in the app worse! I then have to log onto the camera with the web interface and change the resolution back to max then up the fps and bitrate. This is very annoying as the picture in the app is no better than the app for my el cheapo 720p wireless ip cameras that these are replacing. Has any one got any ideas or experience with this.

Associate
Total newb question here - if I wanted to have some IP cameras record direct to a cloud service (mango cam) but without a DVR - is it as simple as plugging in the ethernet cable and tinkering with the router settings?

Soldato
I am just testing two cameras before fitting them properly. I have a Hikvision 2335 and a 2385 and both seem great. The only issues so far are with the hik connect app. The quality in the app did not seem that good so I tried to adjust it. It has three options for video quality which are basic, normal and HD. Changing between basic and normal does not seem to do anything and changing to HD changes the main image settings on the camera to 720p, 10fps and a max bitrate of 512kbps and makes the picture in the app worse! I then have to log onto the camera with the web interface and change the resolution back to max then up the fps and bitrate. This is very annoying as the picture in the app is no better than the app for my el cheapo 720p wireless ip cameras that these are replacing. Has any one got any ideas or experience with this.

Don’t use the Hik-connect app. Piece of ....
Stick to iVMS-4500

Soldato
Can you upgrade hik cameras whilst connected to the Poe switch via a LAN cable? What I mean is I don't have to have it connect to my laptop?

Maybe via the hikvison management page?

Cheers

OK so the DVR can scan and see 3 cameras but they won't show? Is there any default settings I can check on a forum to read over?

Thanks

Me again, so I can see 2 of the Qvis units, how do I view the IP camera from my Mac laptop via Safari on IE it installed an add-on but can't find how to fix it for my MBP

Thanks

Did you get sorted?

Soldato
Total newb question here - if I wanted to have some IP cameras record direct to a cloud service (mango cam) but without a DVR - is it as simple as plugging in the ethernet cable and tinkering with the router settings?

Mango Cam only supports certain cameras and each cam would need to be configured to use ftp. At the end of the day, I wouldn’t use a cloud service for recording.

Soldato
Did you get sorted?
Yes was a combination of actual camera password and ports being incorrect, all sorted now though with Free IP setup so I can view whilst out and about, my Google Pixel 2 XL won't scan the QR code for iVMS setup so will look at that this week but happy its in setup!

Had to factory reset the Hikvision cameras and all update the firmware whilst I was at it..

Soldato
In regards to placement, I'm putting a wireless 720p Arlo Pro camera in my hallway and have another to place outside. Would you put it:
  1. Facing at the side of the house, overlooking a joint driveway (long enough to fit three cars on); or
  2. At the back of the house overlooking the garden and rear double doors to the house?
I'm thinking (2) because it will likely get better quality images and I can enable notifications as no one should be going in the rear garden unless I'm at home. To get to the rear garden you have to go past the cars, but notifications will need to be disabled and quality won't be great.

I'm actually pretty disappointed with the quality of image from the Arlo Pro. I realise v2 has 1080p but it was too much to pay and I really didn't want to install a load of wiring. We do have Ethernet in each room I suppose I could have piggy backed off but still requires an electrician to come out and install really.

Soldato
In the evenings I get a misted area on one of the cameras in the backyard, assuming it's moisture or condensation, is there anything I can do about this?

Thanks

If it’s a vandal dome cam then that’s why I would never use them unless you really have to. I had a £300 odd vandal dome and I took it down after a few months and its still laying here in a box. Even worse when the IR kicked in.

Associate
Finally at the stage where I need to get my CCTV ordered now. I remember before about Hik stopping providing the public and someone recommended Dahua.
In terms of Hik someone also got them cheaper from alibaba. Do these come with the UK firmware? and can someone let me know the reseller

What I'm after is as follows.
DVR for 6-8 cameras
4x turrets
1-2x domes.

I may add to this later. Two of the turrets and one dome will cover areas that have security lights on PIR sensor so low light performance might be less of an issue for these.
I can probably work out focal length for each area
I can buy using a limited company name if this opens up more suppliers

Any advice on specific models and more importantly where to source from?

Thanks,

Don
Worked out how to get a Raspberry Pi to display multiple Hikvision cameras at once, I'll work on the automation side and share my findings :)

A Pi can't display H265+ streams, so this uses the secondary stream for each camera (set as H264), I created a view only user for each camera.

-
This is based on a 1080P display.

First, set the GPU to 256MB

sudo raspi-config
Advance Option -> Memory Split -> Change the Value to 256 -> Save and Reboot

Secondary streams 4x4 grid

Launch 4x terminals and type the following into them..

Top left camera
omxplayer --live 'rtsp://user:pass@IP/Streaming/Channels/102' --win 0,0,960,540

Top right camera
omxplayer --live 'rtsp://user:pass@IP/Streaming/Channels/102' --win 960,0,1920,540

Bottom left camera
omxplayer --live 'rtsp://user:pass@IP/Streaming/Channels/102' --win 0,540,960,1080

Bottom right camera
omxplayer --live 'rtsp://user:pass@IP/Streaming/Channels/102' --win 960,540,1920,1080

Caporegime
Just as a passing thought, how do people secure their external ethernet connections? I know you can get emails to find out if a camera has been disconnected but however slim I suppose there is a chance someone could plug in after getting at the cable in one of the cameras... couldn't they?

VLANs? RADIUS?

Associate
Really interested in setting up cameras at home for extra security and safety for the family, our local council has turned all street lights off between midnight and 6am and two houses down the road got broken into a few months ago.
Whats a ball park figure to start looking at for a basic/decent setup?
And any basic guides say youtube etc about home cctv?

Back
Top Bottom