Spec me a rice cooker

Associate
I bought a rice cooker a couple of months ago to cut down on eating bread at lunch time and it's been the best thing I've bought in years. Love experimenting making flavoured rice with different spices and how easy it is to set it to go and know it will keep it warm for when it's ready to dish up.

Commissario
Just purchased some Kohinoor gold rice
I tried one supermarket locally to me that claims to stock that but they didn't have any, I ended up grabbing a couple of kilos of Tilda basmati and that seems decent, it has a lovely, popcorny smell when it's cooking.
Still need to try and find some Kohinoor gold though.

Commissario
Found some. Saw this in Tesco and just went for it.

7M85StR.jpg

Soldato
It's as much the convenience as the result.

You can switch it on and forget about it. When cooking a meal it's one less thing to have to concentrate on and time.

Easy to clean.

I cook rice at least once a week so it'll get plenty of use

Soldato
If you are using Basmati rice, do you still have to rinse it until water is clear and soak it for 30 mins if using a rice cooker? Apologies for not reading whole thread

Associate
For me the Panda has been fantastic and I honestly would not be without one now. I've been eating rice a lot more since getting one.
My mum was Chinese and I grew up eating rice, but I never learned to cook. I love rice, but my results with a microwave cooker were awful.
I don't know what I was doing wrong. My mum used a simple microwave or a pan and it always came out great.

Last edited:
Soldato
I took the plunge on the yumasia tsuki last night. I'd briefly had a glance at rice cookers in the last couple of months but nothing too in-depth. I got a 50 Chinese recipe cards gift in a secret Santa so ordered up some of less common ingredients on Amazon and threw in a rice cooker at the same time! Arrives tomorrow so I'll do the taste test once it arrives

Soldato
yes if I was doing rice 2-3 times a week I'd make place for one to live on the work surfaces
amongst the toaster/espresso machine & kenwood mixer(a bit large to go elsewhere, too)
If rice cookers would do timed breakfast porridge oats with milk eaten 2-3 times a week that would give it a free pass, too.

Rice cooker perhpas saves some electricity over using hob, to its merit.

Associate
Wife got me a Zojirushi rice cooker to replace our old basic rice cooker for christmas, which to be honest was rarely used as it either overcooked or undercooked rice.
Wow, what a difference, perfect cooked short grain rice and even she (being Indian) was impressed with basmati rice, saying even her mum couldn't cook rice as well and she's the best cook I've ever met!

Associate
Having been a bodybuilder for 15+ years eating rice multiple times a day is very boring. For 14 of those years I used to cook it daily in boiling water and it never tasted that nice.

Then I got a Yumasia Tsuki Mini in early 2023, and the taste difference is absolutely night and day. It cooks it perfectly every time. It also does, oats and a few other things, but I haven't tried those. I do about 2.5 cups a day and its perfect every time.

Back
Top Bottom