Spec me a rice cooker

Soldato

You've got me interested in a rice cooker like this Raymond, question though, what's the normal time it takes to cook say Basmati rice? My partners daughter has one like this and she says hers takes about 90 mins! :eek:

I've only got a basic on/off crock pot type but it only takes ~15-20 mins.

Caporegime
You've got me interested in a rice cooker like this Raymond, question though, what's the normal time it takes to cook say Basmati rice? My partners daughter has one like this and she says hers takes about 90 mins! :eek:

For 1 cup of rice, it's about 45mins, more rice, more water = longer.

In these rice cooker a lot of it, I would say like 60% is the the prep time. The algorithm let the rice sits in the water and let it pre-soak before cooking, then raises temp slowly. When it is done, it has a rest time built in, so this start an end period is what partly makes it differs to the dumb ones. This is why it takes longer. You can simulate the same thing with a dumb one by letting the rice sits in the water for 30mins before pressing the cooking button and then let it rest another 15mins after it turns itself off. I mean the consistency wouldn't be the same as the more expensive rice cooker but it would be much closer.

Soldato

The panda one further up the thread (the only one I've ever used) doesn't take anywhere near 90 minutes.
They keep the rice warm for ages so just put it on earlier and it will keep it perfectly ready for when you want to serve up

Last edited:
Soldato

It can take 90 mins for brown rice, but it can keep warm for like 8 hours. Just put it on when you don't need it and forget about it (y).

Commissario
Just put it on when you don't need it and forget about it (y).
This is how we've used ours every time since we got it. Chuck the rice and water in some time during the day with the timer set for roughly when we're going to use it. I find that it's generally ready about ten minutes before the time I've scheduled.
When the beeper goes off, I just lift the lid, loosen the rice and then close the lid until we're ready to take it out.

Associate
My dad's wife is Korean and recommends Cuckoo brand. So much so we got a tiny 3 cup one for Xmas a couple of years ago. It's in Korean but with a bit of fiddling and Image Translate we can remember which button is which. 90% of the time it's just "white rice express" so not much needed. Well worth it, the rice is always excellent. I'd get rid of the toaster in favour of the rice cooker if I were trying to save counter space.

Caporegime
My mum "toasts" food in the rice cooker. Things she cooks or warms up includes and not limited to...

Croissants
Sausage Rolls
Pies
Gyozas
Chinese Carrot Cake (think of it as bubble and squeak pushed into a baking tray then sliced up into pieces and then fried, but instead, heat up in the rice cooker).

Anything really that is solid and normally goes into a pan can be put into a rice cooker to warm up. Close the lid to create an oven effect.

Last edited:
Associate
My mum "toasts" food in the rice cooker. Things she cooks or warms up includes and not limited to...

Croissants
Sausage Rolls
Pies
Gyozas
Chinese Carrot Cake (think of it as bubble and squeak pushed into a baking tray then sliced up into pieces and they fried, but instead, heat up in the rice cooker).

Anything really that is solid and normally goes into a pan can be put into a rice cooker to warm up. Close the lid to create an oven effect.
Ooh how does she trick it? Mine doesn't like burning things, I've not figured out how to make crispy rice (without taking it out and frying it)

Last edited:
Caporegime
Ooh how does she trick it? Mine doesn't like burning things, I've not figured out how to make crispy rice (without taking it out and frying it)

I don't know....it's not a "dumb" rice cooker. I think it's just one of the cook button and then keep warm.....it seems to get hot enough to get charred marks under it, yet the safety net won't let it really burn it or set fire to it.

Caporegime

It's not about speed it's about cooking perfect rice.

mine has settings that can take hours
mmLSndA.png

ILZo8v2.jpg

if you want fast rice then you might as well buy microwave in 2 minutes, or do the BBC, boil in a pan and drain it....

any decent rice cooker is probably taking 45-60mins to cook rice, 15mins rice is going to have a totally different texture and flavour to something cooked properly

Last edited:
Associate
The only rice cooker I've tried is a microwave one.

I missed the panda on Amazon for £85 :(
But it seems YumAsia are having their own sale:

I'm a little tempted to try either the Tsuki or the Panda.
The Tsuki sounds good with the yumami function, but I'm not sure if it will be large enough.

Last edited:
Associate
I think I need to level up my rice cooker. I lived in Malaysia for 8 years, my wife is Asian and we use the rice cooker probably 4 times a week, yet we’ve always just had a basic one that clicks to warm once the water is gone.

Might be her Xmas present. I’m such a romantic.

Associate
The only rice cooker I've tried is a microwave one.

I missed the panda on Amazon for £85 :(
But it seems YumAsia are having their own sale:

I'm a little tempted to try either the Tsuki or the Panda.
The Tsuki sounds good with the yumami function, but I'm not sure if it will be large enough.
I picked up the Tsuki, in no small part thanks to this thread, because it was the smallest fuzzy logic one I could find.

It's definitely better than the dumb "boil the water until it's gone then stay warm" unit I had before, but for single portions I can cook superior rice myself with a bit more faff (boil, drain, steam off in the pan, rest in a covered bowl in a low oven). That said, a lot of people in this thread have very different ideas to me about what a single portion is! :eek: I generally find about 80g of uncooked basmati to be a decent portion size for me.

I tried the Yumami and for my taste it just overcooked the rice, and I can't say that it tasted noticeably better. I used a little less than the recommended amount of water and it was still mushy.

I'm sure with a bit of tinkering I could get better results, and I'll still use it if I want completely hands-off cooking, need to cook larger amounts, or am using the oven so I don't have any way to keep it warm until eating. But for single portions, I'll mostly stick to cooking it myself.

Soldato
I picked up the Tsuki, in no small part thanks to this thread, because it was the smallest fuzzy logic one I could find.

It's definitely better than the dumb "boil the water until it's gone then stay warm" unit I had before, but for single portions I can cook superior rice myself with a bit more faff (boil, drain, steam off in the pan, rest in a covered bowl in a low oven). That said, a lot of people in this thread have very different ideas to me about what a single portion is! :eek: I generally find about 80g of uncooked basmati to be a decent portion size for me.

I tried the Yumami and for my taste it just overcooked the rice, and I can't say that it tasted noticeably better. I used a little less than the recommended amount of water and it was still mushy.

I'm sure with a bit of tinkering I could get better results, and I'll still use it if I want completely hands-off cooking, need to cook larger amounts, or am using the oven so I don't have any way to keep it warm until eating. But for single portions, I'll mostly stick to cooking it myself.
No idea what 80g is but I think of the cup that came with my Panda as a portion for me.
It will happily do my wife and children between them though.

Associate
I went for the Panda in the end, but now think the Tsuki would have been fine too.
Absolutely brilliant. Perfect basmati rice every time. Much better than the rice i was making in the microwave cooker, defined grains and much better texture and taste.
I will definitely be eating a lot more rice now :)
Just purchased some Kohinoor gold rice to see how that is and the Greedy Panda cookbook on google play books.

Caporegime
I never go off the measurements on my bowl.

even the same types of rice the amount of water I need differs by brand

Back
Top Bottom