Spec me an LED Torch

If you are thinking about getting a Pila why get cheap budget batteries?

A cheap charger is more likely to cause damage to budget cells and expensive cells. It is a bit like a lottery with these budget chargers I have read that some terminate correctly every time, while others don't.

I have a hobby charger which I use for Li-Po batteries with my model aircraft, it could charge 18650 batteries better than all the cheap chargers out there and do the job just as well as the Pila with the added bonus of being able to monitor the cell and have control over charging current for faster charging.

But I would like a self contained charger without the fuss of making up 18650 cell holders and setting charge current every time. In this instance for flash light usage I prefer to be able to just throw a 18650 cell on a cradle charger and let it get on with it by itself. Normally I really enjoy being control with a charger but for the purpose of flash lights I'd rather sit back and let the charger do it's job - every few charges check the charged cell with a voltmeter to check that it is still terminating properly.

I can justify the cost of a decent charger but not so much expensive cells. £10.50 for a pack of 2 I wouldn't mind paying that, but not for a single cell.

That price is not far off the price I have paid for a whole light!

Last edited:
I have been a bit obsessive recently with this erm hobby?.. Not sure what is wrong with me. But it is addictive buying lights.. :confused:

Took delivery of the Pila Charger tested and terminates dead on 4.20v.

img7221.jpg

img7223.jpg

Annnnd my first Lithium Ion light: I went for the Solarforce Masterpiece Pro1 Head with the L2 body and the 18650 extension tube.

img7224n.jpg

img7231q.jpg

img7228.jpg

The thing throws like mad! That tight bright hot spot it produces has no trouble throwing light over 170 metres away! Total lightsaber. I have ordered a UCL lens for it to squeeze even more out of it!

So here is my growing collection:

img7253o.jpg

Left to right: Maglite 2D with Fusion 36 drop in, Solarforce Masterpiece Pro 1 with L2 body and 18650 extension, Dereelight Javelin XPG-R5 3xAA, Solarforce L2r XRE-R2 2xAA, Solarforce L2i (awaiting drop-in), Zebralight H51

gaga%20hurle.gif
BEAMSHOTS!!

All taken @ 0.6 second f4.5 ISO 800 all lights on max mode.

Solarforce Masterpiece Pro1 Head with 2x18650
solarforcemasterpiecepr.jpg

Dereelight Javelin XPG-R5 3xAA
javelin3aaxpgr5.jpg

Solarforce L2r XRE-R2 2xAA
solarforcel22aaxrer2.jpg

Zebralight H51
zebralighth51.jpg

Had a power cut last week, loved it! :D:p

Last edited:
Hi chaps.

My search for a torch for the old man for xmas is driving me crazy as there is too much choice. Need a small single AA torch for him.

Looking at the Fenix LD15

Is there anything better for the money? Just needs to be compact.

Thanks. :)

When you say better do you mean brighter? If so I would go for the Zebralight SC51 - to date the brightest single AA powered light in production with a great user interface including the very useful moonlight mode.

It is a bit fatter than the LD15 and very slightly longer, but not by much.

When you say better do you mean brighter? If so I would go for the Zebralight SC51 - to date the brightest single AA powered light in production with a great user interface including the very useful moonlight mode.

It is a bit fatter than the LD15 and very slightly longer, but not by much.

Cheers for that Steve. Looks like it could fit the bill nicely.

Will let you know what I do. :)

*edit 28/11/2010*

Went for the Zebralight you recommended. Many thanks. :)

Last edited:
I've just bought the ITP A6 polestar for my dad for xmas and an ITP A1 eos for the wife.

I have a 4D led maglite which I thought was not bad, how wrong was I.
Even the A1 blows it away....for the size I'm amazed at the light level it produces

The polestar is brillliant and in turn blows the A1 away on full power.
I've just ordered another as a xmas pressie to myself.
I'll try and get some beam shots tonight.

Bought an ITP LIGHT SA2 Eluma as a present for my sisters boyfriend. To anyone considering this over the fenix LD20, I'd say go for the Fenix. Brighter with a whiter beam, the ITP is very purple in comparison. Also the Fenix is built a lot better, especially noticeable with things like the threads for the end cap, the ITP has tiny v shaped threads, whereas the Fenix has much more durable, larger square threads.

Not bad for around £30 but you can get the better Fenix for £6 more. Worth that easily.

One thing I did like better on the ITP though is the mode switcher being a front button. Works better than turning the head and clicking the end button on the Fenix.

Back
Top Bottom