Spec me an LED Torch

Stick with eneloops 2000 ma ones (Lots of fake ones about so be careful where you buy them). I have a couple of sets and charge them using a nitecore l4 version2 which is also pretty cheap from fasttech if you got the torch from there.

recently got one of the mini ones "Mini 300 Lumen CREE Q5" and its very nice just on a AA, waiting to get some 14500's, ordering in a bunch of them @,<£4 to make improndue presents.

Last edited:
Theres a few. I got a headtorch, lights up most of the room and runs off 3xAAA; just sits on the table if you want and lots of similar cree examples

You wont get something that fills a field or a backyard for that little but enough to read by for hours sure. The cree q5 mentioned above I reckon might be 100 lumen for most of the time its on but still a lot better then a normal torch

I've had a 3D Maglite for quite a few years, and I like it. However, today, when I went to change the batteries, it turns out one of my batteries has leaked to the point that it's welded itself into the torch, and cannot be removed, and therefore the torch needs scrapping!

Side note: Kudos to Duracell, however, as within the day, I have emailed them about the issue (the batteries were Duracell Procells), and have had a response with an offer to bank transfer me £30 for a replacement torch, and putting some Duracell vouchers in the post for some replacement batteries!

As such, I am looking for a replacement. Before the incident, I was planning on upgrading the Maglite with an LED bulb to make it brighter & last longer on a set of batteries, and this is where my problem lies.

I could get another Maglite, and go for the LED conversion, or go for a torch that is already LED (eg an LED Lenser)

Has anyone else made a similar decision? what made you choose one way, rather than the other? Are there any similar torches worth considering, at a similar price point?

My SolarForce L2 with tactical head is still going strong. It's been dropped many times, been used to carve writing on a wall, been abused all over and travelled around Europe with me. I think that's a solid candidate for workhorse torch at under £20 :)

My SolarForce L2 with tactical head is still going strong. It's been dropped many times, been used to carve writing on a wall, been abused all over and travelled around Europe with me. I think that's a solid candidate for workhorse torch at under £20 :)

i can second that, not had it as long and has not been as far but still going strong after a year of abuse.

Thrunite current have a contest for 5 people to win the revised TN30 or new Thrunite Lynx. Simply post a Thrunite product review on their forum and link to it in the announcement page by July 19th to win. Only requirement is that you review whatever you win.

Seems good!

I purchased a few of the "Mini LED Torch 7W 300LM CREE Q5 LED Flashlight" for £3.85 on over at the rainforest and I have to say, for £3.85 I am quite impressed at how good it is. Obviously it is nowhere near as good as my Nitecore EA4, but that's in a whole different price bracket.

There are a few others available for low prices, and I was just wondering whether anyone has any of the other cheaper non-branded torches that they'd recommend? I've been looking at the "NEW UltraFire 1800 Lm Zoomable CREE XM-L T6 LED" and I know that it will never be anywhere near 1800 lumens, but for £7.66 is it worth a go? I'm quite tempted to purchase a few more torches to stash around the house and also in my car and garage for when they might be needed. Since they're decent and are all below £10 in price it makes sense really. I'll always have my EA4 for any of the "heavy lifting" so to speak, but the other ones would be perfect for smaller jobs :)

A friend bought a 1400lumen £15 torch off ebay I think a while back, met up in a cave recently, anyway, it was very bright, it was zoomable and the wall of light was as intense as my Thrunite TN31 which was impressive.

Most of these lights are very capable and the only real difference between them and branded ones is host longevity and power regulation on the boards. My C8 is still going strong and the seals are in good condition so buy decent general ones and you're gonna get excellent bang for buck.

Hey guys, probably something i never thought id be asking, but i really would like a decent torch - As it stands i would only need a torch as i already have some 18650 and 18350 batteries and a nitecore i4 charger for use with my vaping gear (vapers lounge thread)

So im looking for either a 18650 or an 18350 if they are around, as bright as it can be, all the usual stuff.
The batteries i have are IMR 18350 850mah and Panasonic 18650 IMR CGR-CH -2200 mah - im hoping they are ok for these type of things, both are rated to 6-10amp draw.

The 850mAh probably won't last long at all on a torch with a decent emitter onboard! 2200 though should be fine.

What will it be used for? That's the important part!

Well im not going to be cave walking or anything like that lol, would be handy on walks with the dog at night, and general use around the home where sometimes that bit of extra light makes it easier to see small things (lost screws on the carpet etc) But also in the winter months could use it as my MTB light with a mount of some sort.
All of the batterys i have are not the protected cells aswell, have a couple of ICR 18650 2500mah aswell.

Back
Top Bottom