Spec me an LED Torch

I would not trust that charger or those batteries and the mount looks a bit weak!

Nah probably not, I wasn't really posting it for the charger as he already has one, but it is a bonus. It is most likely rubbish but if the torch is decent, it seems a good deal :)

Looks like crap that^ Even if it's a fiver!

Nah probably not, I wasn't really posting it for the charger as he already has one, but it is a bonus. It is most likely rubbish but if the torch is decent, it seems a good deal :)

I'd still opt for the C8 + decent mount option really :p
Big aluminium reflector + long run time + waterproof (head has double o-rings, tail as single) and an overall decent size.

I already have a Fenix TK11 R5 and a ZebraLight H51 but now want a little more power. I'm looking at an EagleTac P20C2 Mark II Cree XM-L for £50 or a Fenix tk22 xm-l u2 for £80. Anyone have either of those 2, or could recommend another alternative (power output and quality) for a similar price (would rather not buy from ebay or the US).

Oh nice, that TK22 looks awesome. Not really been keeping an eye on the market recently as I have needed to spend a bit of cash on my bike, so didnt know there was a new torch in the TK range.

Love my TK12, but would like a powerful XM-L torch of similar size and toughness.

It'll be rubbish and probably break after a few weeks or if its dropped on concrete. The tint will most likely be horrible purple and the lower modes will flicker. But its also very cheap, so it's up to you. Probably be fine as a cheapo keyring torch for occasional use, but not something you'd want to rely on.

Personally i'd avoid zoomable torches, they really aren't needed as leds usually provide a focused centre spot and some flood by default.

Last edited:
Cheers guys, ill probably pick up a couple of those mounts and C8's for the price, i dont mind paying utpo around £30-35 for one either if that helps.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BIKE-BICY...K_SportGoods_CyclAcces_RL&hash=item565970dea1

Have a look for this type of mount. I use these on my bike and they work great. Have to make sure the velcro is pulled tight, but they hold the torch nice and solid and also the rubber adds some shock absorption, which will be handy if using a cheapo torch.

They are also really cheap. You can get them from places like deal extreme for a couple of quid.

Best place for p60 hosts?, my 502b has taken a battering and the switch is starting to play up so I think its time for a replacement host, Thinking of a Solarforce host? L2T possibly?

Solarforce are good. Get the one that has HAIII anodising on the body and head and it should hold up very well.

Only criticism of the L2P one that I have is that they have anodised the threads for the head, but not the tail end, which are the threads that are going to get used the most.

It'll be rubbish and probably break after a few weeks or if its dropped on concrete. The tint will most likely be horrible purple and the lower modes will flicker. But its also very cheap, so it's up to you. Probably be fine as a cheapo keyring torch for occasional use, but not something you'd want to rely on.

Personally i'd avoid zoomable torches, they really aren't needed as leds usually provide a focused centre spot and some flood by default.

You're actually wrong on almost all points Mark A :)

I have just bought three of these, the build quality of the torch is very good. The shell is robust and very solid. There is no tint at all on the LED on my ones, they're a soft white beam (it uses a CREE Q5), and it doesn't have any modes on it. It is a simple on / off button, that you can then press down halfway to do things like flash an emergency signal etc. I focused the beam last night and it went right the way over to the end of my road, which is probably a good 100ft away.

The only thing I agree with you about is the zoom. It is hardly a necessary feature, but it is fairly useful to focus the beam from large to small. It is more of a throw torch than a flood torch.

If you want to see a comparison video, have a look at this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VU3u0_XTyM8

The torch I have is identical to the one in that video, in fact that packaging is identical as well (except mine also came in a little box rather than wrapped up in packaging).

Honestly, for a small torch that you can keep in the car or carry with you, you really can't go wrong with this one for the princely sum of £3.86 :)

In actual fact, I am so impressed that I'll be buying another two more this evening :)

I'll have to take your word for it :). For the price you can't go wrong I guess.

I am not saying it is amazing, but for £3 I was willing to take the risk and it paid off. I have a Nitecore EA4 which I use outside and around the house, but I wanted a few smaller torches that I could keep in my car and in certain parts of the house in case they're ever needed. These little torches are absolutely ideal for that :)

Pretty much my most battered and dropped torches are the SolarForce L2P (tactical head and tail stand) and UltraFire C8. The finish has been scratched on them quite a bit and they look like they are workhorses. Rightly so, they've been submerged, dropped, in arctic winds and still kicking :)

Aod even took my C8 to South Africa!

I'll stand by these torches for as long as I am breathing :)

Oooh That's a bit smaller than my TN31 and has that 2 lumens mode whereas the TN31 has 0.5 lumens (though that's at 2000hours).

How many cells does the EA8 take? Doesn't say on their site. I'm definitely interested. Can then sell the TN31. Max power run time is the same. That will be the deal killer really. If it's 3 cells then the TN31 is the better torch still and throws well over 700 metres.

Back
Top Bottom