Spec me an LED Torch

Blimey! These are a cracking buy. Ok, I haven't had one long enough to test reliability, but the switch is usually the weak point on cheap torches and this click feels pretty solid.

The focused in beam is very square and LED shaped, but it's pretty darned bright and throws a long way on a single Duracell, with a decent wide beam at the other end of the zoom. I'd like it to be half the weight, in an ideal world, and I've no idea why the Chinese are so attached to these weirdly tooled bodies, but for under three quid I'm not going to argue. I find focusing torches very useful and chances are this will get far more use than my EA4, simply because it -- and the two more I'm about to order -- will be in my pocket when I need it.

Anyway, excellent suggestion, thanks! :-)

PS I have one of those supermarket 4AA 24x3 LED 'area' lights which I use for illuminating broadly when I'm poking around in my PC cases. This new torch is bright and more useful than that, for about a third of the price.

PPS I'd be surprised if it's a genuine Cree at this price, but who's going to get picky for this money?

Cool, ordered 3 of them

Interest to know the high/low/strobe rated times on 1 AA. Read some reviews and no-one says. Either way, if they break its less than £9 lost

Interest to know the high/low/strobe rated times on 1 AA.
As far as I can tell mine only does on or off, and one new AA has so far lasted me about 4 minutes. :-) I'll do a test with a rechargeable later, but the brightness leads me to expect it'll chew through normal batteries pretty sharpish. As long as it doesn't eat them secretly while turned off, that's fine by me.

106 pages of torch recommendations...bloody hell.

Torches are, sadly, somewhat addictive. I wish I knew why!

Torches are, sadly, somewhat addictive. I wish I knew why!

Simple but can get very technical

On/Off - all the way to advanced UI, LCD displays showing temp, different types of bulbs, measuring heat, light and output strength, how clean the halo or whatever it is is call...

Suppose its like an Abacus > calculator > computer

Who knows, maybe they will advance that much you can have a hand size torch that last weeks on 1 aa battery with super hgh output

Didnt someone comment that CREE LED share prices had rocketed in the past few years

Sorry it's not a torch, but a bike light. As many people buying torches might be into cycling....

http://www.fasttech.com/search?bike x2 led

Bought one of these, and for the money it is excellent. (I bought the SolarStorm X2 in black).

These look amazing value. I see it takes 4 18650s which is great as I already own some torches.

The mount looks o-ring based - is it any good?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/XML-T6-Lume...?ie=UTF8&qid=1377177518&sr=8-12&keywords=cree

How about this for an all included choice. This is likely just a throw away torch but if I dont get the battery sent with it, they'll use whatevers left in the tv remote.

They own a regulated battery charger/monitor so Im not sure they need the charger or not but just in case

Or this one comes with a bike holder or I can just get the 3 quid one
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ultrafire-W...77177518&sr=8-16&keywords=cree#productDetails

Also Ultrafire wf-501b £6.60
UF C8 - £7.65
UF WF-502b £7.98 :confused:

Last edited:
Ola guys.

I'm looking for some suggestions for a handtorch and seperate headlamp.

Both I would like to be rechargable and have a decent length of battery life while stilling being bright!
Torch I would like it to slip and hold easily in a pocket, such as cargo a trouser pocket or have it's own belt holder.

Edit:

Budget: Not sure £20? And I need it in my hands by the 19th of September so ordering from china is a bit risky for lead times.

I'm working in a forest for a few days, may involve night I dont know. Either way it would be handy

Last edited:
Last edited:
For £2.83 this was a cracking buy, thanks silversurfer.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Torch-300LM...&ie=UTF8&qid=1375372604&sr=1-13&keywords=cree

Still dont know how long the single AA lasts. I used it quite a bit at Leeds festival and its still going (Sony alkaline AA battery which was £1 for 10!)

Might get a Nitecore EA8 to replace my 4 as I love throw. Saying that its quite a bit bigger and obviously 8 AAs!

Seconded, that little £2.83 torch is fantastic, I was amazed at how i single AA torch throws up so much light (took a little while to arrive though...). My EA4 is still better, but it runs off 4 AA's and costs 10 times as much!

How good would it be if you could strap 4 together to get 1200 lumens that can be focused!

I wouldn't even be bothered about different modes or led shape

Back
Top Bottom