Spec me an LED Torch

Cheers for that. I was hoping for brighter, but if that's the best you can get from a drop-in then I understand there's an effort / reward payoff.

You could extend it with this:

http://thetorchsite.co.uk/XCapeCap_Maglie_D_Cell_Tube_Extension.html

So, it becomes a 4 cell, then use the following to make it a beast!

http://thetorchsite.co.uk/TerraLUX_TLE-310M-Ex_MiniStar31M-Ex.html

I have one of these on a 6 D cell mag, its awesome. It stays at home for emergencies, and I have 18650 torches for uber power!

Not sure if anyone can help - I have a Shadow XM-L VG10 with Panasonic CGR18650CH 2250mAh Li-ion batteries that has recently started to develop a problem.

The VG10 has three brightness settings + strobe but if I select any setting other than low, the beam goes brighter (not full brightness) then flashes (signalling low battery) and remains on low brightness level.

I use an XTAR WP2 II charger.

I have tried fully discharging the batteries (which almost always are discharged fully anyway) and the problem remains.

Any thoughts please as I absolutely love this torch and it's annoying having to make do with my old maglite.

Yes I think I bought it off your recommendation mrk. As I said, I absolutely love it (unbelievable bang for buck) and if I'd had it for years with no issues I wouldn't think twice about buying another but I've not had it close to a year yet.

No, although I have two cells of the same kind so would be surprised if it is the cells that they would both fail. Hopefully it is the cells.

Are the Panasonics still the batteries to go for these days and is there a recommended online retailer please?

Thanks

Hmm I do recall my Ultrafire cells being a bit temperamental with the VG10 although quality cells should have no problem. I had FJD cells later which were fine iirc. Maybe you could try another cell from a different brand just to confirm, doesn't have to be expensive.

All my current ones are FJD, Eagletac and laptop stripped.

600 to 1000 dollars worth, surely a LED setup can beat it or maybe thats an unbeatable price. I wonder how long it can stay on for

As a short-arc discharge lamp these searchlights aren't actually too far off the efficiency of LED lights. I don't think we're at the 1KW LED emitter stage quite yet, regrettably.

I don't think it's currently technically possible to build an LED light comparable to this (in terms of light output OR beam collimation) for less than $10,000, let alone $1000 or $600.

Saw a 2 torch bike setup, seems very cheap for what is obviously a hard wear item. I wonder if a car gives more room if 2 bright lights are approaching it :D
[I see its out of stock right now btw]

http://www.jazooli.com/outdoor-leis...d-light-with-bike-mount__AFRA-ULTRA-0013.aspx

Also a 6x T6 torch for £17 obviously uber cheap and I doubt it can do the job with the batteries in sequence, only a skyray type parallel battery setup could power that many LED properly? :confused:

So my Nitecore EA4 only lasted 10minutes. Now the LED only glows slightly, I've tried different sets of batteries and no change :(

All the sellers now seem out of stock so I'll send it back for a refund. Any other recommendations? Preferably running from AAs.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom