Spec me an LED Torch

For pure cheapness, everybody liked these apparently - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Torch-300LM...&ie=UTF8&qid=1375372604&sr=1-13&keywords=cree
Seconded, that little £2.83 torch is fantastic, I was amazed at how i single AA torch throws up so much light (took a little while to arrive though...). My EA4 is still better, but it runs off 4 AA's and costs 10 times as much!

The one I liked best will light up the whole road but its still very cheap quality and it stopped working after taking a bit of a knock. I think wrapping the battery so it doesnt move fixes that though.
I think its this one or the 501b but you want the U2 version of xm-l as I think its less heat and less stress on the battery. It is worth using 18650

http://www.amazon.co.uk/ULTRAFIRE-W...e=UTF8&qid=1383924614&sr=8-3&keywords=501b+u2

Ordered the T6 version of this (18650 batteries) for the wife's handbag so that she has something when returning to the car after her evening class. Cost about £4. It took a while to come and when it got here they had sent a Q5 running AAs. Complained to them and they are going to send out a T6 for free and I get to keep the Q5. :) The Q5 is easily bright enough anyway!

Well, there's my next torch purchase sorted :D

What a fantastic looking torch and spec for £6.99!

Seriously what more do you need?

This is more than enough for anyone, a very bright torch that will last forever i suspect and for a little more it comes with a batter and charger, i get people like to collect and buy quality stuff but these cheap china torches are actually very good quality and have the same leds as stuff costing ten times more, in fact these can be so bright on high it's probably a bit much for use around the home, id get one and maybe a small cheap keyring aaa torch as well, sorted. :p

Seriously what more do you need?

This is more than enough for anyone, a very bright torch that will last forever i suspect and for a little more it comes with a batter and charger, i get people like to collect and buy quality stuff but these cheap china torches are actually very good quality and have the same leds as stuff costing ten times more, in fact these can be so bright on high it's probably a bit much for use around the home, id get one and maybe a small cheap keyring aaa torch as well, sorted. :p

Doubtful it will last forever. Is the 18650 even protected? That 'Afunta' charger will probably turn the battery inside out or blow the 18650 up within a year

Ive got one of the £3 Ultrafire 300 lumen torches that takes 1 AA battery. Yes, its great for only £3 but its not as bright a my Nitecore EA4 on ultra low (65 lumens)

if any one is after a cheap 18650 zoomer I don't think you can go wrong with this silver one for £4.35, use coupon code 4e1d85 for that price

Though if any one fancies a fenix TK51 try the code bgf133 for a bargain price :eek:

FiGsmkb.jpg.png

and yes, despite the name they are a good seller and always send as gift with a low value, also pretty good on the packaging front.

Also who ever said batteries are not getting through from china they are getting through just fine, at least from fasttech and banggood anyway.

Massively overdriving an XM-L2 to more than 5A (which is 166% maximum current) with spectacular heatsinking (we're talking solid copper, not brass or aluminium) and a really good reflector, you'll be able to get 1800lm out of one LED, at around 25W of input power.

The Luminus SST-90 can do 2500 Lumens with far less efficiency (probably around 35W), and the lighting-class Cree MTG2 is designed for use at around 2000lm could do it at around 20W, but the MT-G2 is enormous.

What is the best 2xAA torch with a proper low and moonlight mode?

My Nitecore EA4 is a great torch but it has no proper low mode (ultra low is 65 lumens)

Guys I need some help, I need to get my girlfriend a front light for her bike and looking around LED Torches seam to be the best bet. Don't really want to spend more than £40. I've seen they can range from £15-£100 +. and they all look good to me!

I found this on Ebay: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2013-mode...K_SportGoods_CyclAcces_RL&hash=item4615981df3
Which looks great for the money, just not sure as i really don't know anything about these lights.

Do you have any other options i should consider?

Also i can get loads of cr123a batterys from work so it doesnt have to be a torch that needs charging all the time if there is a torch that will take these.

Thanks in advance :)

Last edited:
My collection minus the Maglights as they went ages ago as they couldn't compete.

Inova X1 mk1.

Inova T4R mk1.

Jetbeam RRT-1 Raptor with rail and handle.

NiteCore TM 11

NitCore TM 26

The wife uses the TM 11 as I got the TM 26 as the bugger doesn't roll away when put on a flat surface to light an area and it can be charged without removing the batteries.

Are any of the cheap LED torches on DX anygood? I want cheap and bright. The trustfire TR 1200 looks ok for the cash. I know it wont be a true 1200 Lumens.

Are any of the cheap LED torches on DX anygood? I want cheap and bright. The trustfire TR 1200 looks ok for the cash. I know it wont be a true 1200 Lumens.

lol no you don't want the tr 1200, that's old and uses really out of date LEDs

I take it you are equipped with 18650 batteries already?

If so for a cheap multi emitter you can't really go wrong with either an SRK (SkyRay King) or the trustfire 3t6, though there are many variants/clones with varying quality so check the reviews on the product pages.

tbh though if you just want a good cheap bright torch one of the convoy c8 from fasttech would be perfect unless you have a need for a bigger torch/extended runtime?

That torch has 5 bulbs, it will drain cheap batteries very quickly and make them dead maybe from running too low a voltage.

Q5 is worse then XM-L and then ideally a U2 is better then both as it uses less power. Get protected batteries for any torch that needs more then 1 to power it. Ive no idea of the cheapest ones but I dont think its optional for anything powerful

Back
Top Bottom