Spec me an LED Torch

HOw much and where from if you don't mind? Is it any good? I really need to pick up something brighter for my bike now that the nights are drawing in, a 250 Lumen 2AA torch doecn't cut it on pitch black lanes!

The rainforest , UK stockist too so only took a few days and yep it's great really bright and three beam / brightness settings :)

E: here http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00EXPKSAK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 but I had a £10 off voucher.

Last edited:
Meh, rubbish torch.

:o

lol ;)

Say goodbye to your retinas.

there is no way im even taking the quickest of sneaky peaks into this beast when on full blast

so, here's a few (lot) more pics and min review

I got the torch and 4 Olight batteries from Massdrop - they were posted from the US on the 25th September and I got "carded" by the Post Office yesterday. They kindly advised I had £38.01 to pay for the privilege of taking possession of the parcel. This is still significantky cheaper that a legit UK outlet.

So, I picked it up from the depot earlier and the first thing (or two things) which struck me were how small the parcel was and how light it was.

jqnzObr.jpg

And the added charges

gG3SILj.jpg

So opened it up and :

oNMhApR.jpg

Out the box and the torch and batteries :

RAGUaZz.jpg

QOZUfKa.jpg

PPaG7KP.jpg

Whipped the torch out

dwVF8AW.jpg

Very impressed with the build quality and "heft" of it despite the surprise at the weight. It is also just the right size although I do have quite big hands

It came with a mains charger (plugs in the side of the torch with the four batteries in the torch), spare charging point rubber seal and spare ring seals for when the torch screws apart, string lanyard thing and carry pouch to attach to a belt

47J5gCK.jpg

u4UGs7j.jpg

sfo09rM.jpg

You can see the charging point and tripod mounting point here

PRvavcf.jpg

So slapped it into charge

8IjghEL.jpg

and you can see the OLED display monitoring the charge and will cut off / tell you when fully charged

So a few shots of the torch

AgVdAlz.jpg

3o5JUh9.jpg

rqDWv7j.jpg

gmBbrtq.jpg

9gQDOIZ.jpg

yE0xadw.jpg

GgSaU2b.jpg

You can easily cycle through the default "brightnesses" of Level 1 (3 Lumens) Level 2 (150 Lumens) Level 3 (600 Lumens) Level 4 (1850 Lumens) then Level 5 (3800 Lumens). The last setting you can also fry an egg with it at 20 paces :D

The level is all displayed on the OLED screen which you can also cycle through to show Voltage, remaining battery life (in hours), remaining battery life graphic and temperature

ze9g2di.jpg

frQuMxh.jpg

GTRwISX.jpg

bgIiA8v.jpg

What I didn't know it has is an "emergency signal" mode you can cycle through for "Beacon" (rapid intermittent flash), Strobe (strobe light) and SOS (morse code S.O.S.) - again all noted on the OLED:

zI8ujYZ.jpg

57weRIb.jpg

su5EHmb.jpg

As noted at the beginning the thing is surprisingly small for what it can do:

f0TXAwc.jpg

XMXQhNk.jpg

VLrOJn8.jpg

All in all a truly first class torch, well over specced for what i will ever need it for and still expensive despite the heavy discount from Massdrop (even after the VAT payment) however I love t and im sure it will get used on a regular basis for many tasks :D

Ok my ultrafire C8 died after about 6 months of having it, as the battery got loose inside, probably down to a fake battery that cost me a tenner:mad: So Im thinking of going back to my old xenon bulb torch and buying some decent rechargeables.

The last set of rechargeables I used in this torch has been totally useless, as they didnt last more then 1-3 days of 5min of use a day and you had to slap the torch to make it work properly. They were The uniross 2600mah batteries. So Im thinking if I bought these, would I have better luck........?

http://www.battery-force.co.uk/deta...Charged-D-4000mAh-Rechargeable-Pack-of-2.html

Or these even, but they are not low self discharge

http://www.battery-force.co.uk/deta...H-5000mAh-Rechargeable-Battery-Pack-of-2.html

Hey Phil, sorry to hear your C8 died, it's the chance you take with the cheap china torches :(

If you're thinking of going back to old-school incandescent, I'd recommend sticking with lithium chemistry as NiMH chemistry isn't as good at dealing with the high current draws that filament lamps have, LiIons maintain their voltage better under draw.

Look into Hotwire mods and other such Incan-related things on the Incandescent subforum on CPF.

If you're looking for low-self-discharge D cells, I believe these are well regarded; http://lygte-info.dk/review/batteries2012/Tensai D TR-C8000 8000mAh (White) UK.html

I'm looking for a brighter keyring size torch.

I currently have a Thrunite TiS, it's AAA powered and 60 lumen. I want something that will blow it away while not being much bigger. I'm thinking AA powered as they should provide more juice.

I've looked at the EAGLETAC D25A CLICKY but the interface looks poor.

Nitecore SENS CR looks good or Zebralight SC52 L2, I do love my ZL SC600.

Any others to look at?

Maybe you guys can help, I'm looking for a headtorch with ~100-120 lumens minimum, but the kicker being it must have as long a battery life as possible, though I guess for the "right" one I can change them.

I'm looking for a brighter keyring size torch.

I currently have a Thrunite TiS, it's AAA powered and 60 lumen. I want something that will blow it away while not being much bigger. I'm thinking AA powered as they should provide more juice.

I've looked at the EAGLETAC D25A CLICKY but the interface looks poor.

Nitecore SENS CR looks good or Zebralight SC52 L2, I do love my ZL SC600.

Any others to look at?
Unfortunately, it's very difficult to get a lot of brightness out of a compact AAA or AA sized light when using conventional batteries as there's little space for the voltage step-up circuitry needed. If you're prepared to use 10440 (AAA-size) or 14500 (AA-size) LiIon rechargeable batteries, you'll be able to get 300+ lumens out of a tiny light, albeit with very very short battery life.

The D25A you mentioned will do ~200 lumens on an Alkaline/NiMH, but will emit more like 550 lumens on a 14500 LiIon.

Apparently a Thrunite Ti will do ~200+ lumens on a 10440, but like all the super-compact AAA-sized lights, using it at that brightness for more than a minute or two can burn out the LED/electronics simply from the heat.

Maybe you guys can help, I'm looking for a headtorch with ~100-120 lumens minimum, but the kicker being it must have as long a battery life as possible, though I guess for the "right" one I can change them.

How about something like this; http://www.zebralight.com/H600Fw-Mk-II-Floody-18650-XM-L2-Headlamp-Neutral-White_p_118.html

Uses an 18650 battery and in the 142 lumen brightness setting, should last 11 hours or so.

Unfortunately, it's very difficult to get a lot of brightness out of a compact AAA or AA sized light when using conventional batteries as there's little space for the voltage step-up circuitry needed. If you're prepared to use 10440 (AAA-size) or 14500 (AA-size) LiIon rechargeable batteries, you'll be able to get 300+ lumens out of a tiny light, albeit with very very short battery life.

I'd be happy to use 14500 cells or CR123 cells

Already got plenty of 18650 cells and torches, might pick up a new charger too, Nitecore I4 is calling.

Back
Top Bottom