Spec me an LED Torch

Man of Honour
So torch nerds (seriously this thread is as bad as the sneaker one :p)...I was rummaging in the loft the other day and found my trusty old 3 D-cell maglite. What's the best LED conversion to get for it? Yes I know it is massive and heavy, but that's half the charm!

Obviously if the D Cell Mag housing is a must because of character and weaponising the tube etc then go for it, but for a few quid more you can have a superior torch with a tactical head that can also be great as a stabby weapon should the need ever arise :p

Soldato

Obviously if the D Cell Mag housing is a must because of character and weaponising the tube etc then go for it, but for a few quid more you can have a superior torch with a tactical head that can also be great as a stabby weapon should the need ever arise :p
Cheers. I've got plenty of good headtorches, but I don't like chucking stuff out that works perfectly, especially with it's a nicely engineered bit of kit like a maglite, it'll probably live in the van....although probably not in the rucksack for mountaineering days :D

Soldato
My new C8F is quite possibly the most powerful illumination source I’ve experienced apart from the Nite Sun searchlights used on Police and Rescue helicopters.

And I haven’t tried Turbo mode at night yet as I only RTFM this morning.

To be honest, I don’t think I’ll need more than Medium for the usual waking to no power in the house and checking first the circuit breakers and then if a fallen tree has taken out power lines along the chemin that leads to our house.

Again.

High is perfect if I need to check the outbuildings and everything within 150 metres without needing to leave the house. It’s not just the amount of light, but the clarity of the beam that’s insanely impressive.

TL:DR - turns night into day for 150 metres in the direction it’s pointing.

Man of Honour
^Annoying that they still use their magnetic charger connection which means you gotta carry the cable around. Green looks nice though!

IF22A beam is immense, was out tonight playing around. The tree I light up is 200 metres away, 400 metres with street lights etc in the area is a walk in the park so I have no doubt 700 metres is a piece of cake.

Sofirn_IF22A_beam_20220602_234329.gif

Sofirn_IF22A_beam_20220602_234502.jpg

Associate
^Annoying that they still use their magnetic charger connection which means you gotta carry the cable around. Green looks nice though!
Never had a situ when I needed to charge, however I got the following in my bag if I do.

Actual cable in a tidy case and a keyring which just needs a USB C cable.

dtF0faQ.jpg

EQyBymt.jpg

Soldato
Never had a situ when I needed to charge, however I got the following in my bag if I do.

Actual cable in a tidy case and a keyring which just needs a USB C cable.

dtF0faQ.jpg

EQyBymt.jpg
I've been looking at Olight products recently. Are they worth the premium? I'm always sceptical of products that constantly pop up on my Facebook page.

Associate
I've been looking at Olight products recently. Are they worth the premium? I'm always sceptical of products that constantly pop up on my Facebook page.
well I have prolly spent in excess of a few hundreds of pounds spent with Olight since I got back into them early Dec. They do the job and the quality seems to be better than generic branded ones. They have everything for whatever the use case. Which ones you looking at ? I can prolly comment as I have already got it or something similar.

Often they have sales on their main website store or there is deals to be had on their eBay store or even on Amazon, so don’t pay full RRP if you can.

Last edited:
Soldato
well I have prolly spent in excess of a few hundreds of pounds spent with Olight since I got back into them early Dec. They do the job and the quality seems to be better than generic branded ones. They have everything for whatever the use case. Which ones you looking at ? I can prolly comment as I have already got it or something similar.

Often they have sales on their main website store or there is deals to be had on their eBay store or even on Amazon, so don’t pay full RRP if you can.
Baton 3 and the Seeker 3 are the immediate ones.

Associate
Baton 3 and the Seeker 3 are the immediate ones.
I pretty much carry and use my Baton 3 daily. I have the version without the charging case that you can get if you need multiple charges on the go. Very small and powerful light for what it is. Can be had for about £40-45 new. Solid build quality and still works even dropping it multiple times.

I have also the Seeker 3 Pro version. Very useful torch for night walks. Can constant 1000 lumens worth of light with decent run time. Comes complete with a carrying holster as well. The variable output is nice along with the battery display level too. This also has a 4200 lumen turbo mode and also it has a proximity sensor so it will step down when there is something too close to the lense of the torch. Again solid build quality and nice bit of kit. Can be had usually for under £100, but I got my for £75 new.

Man of Honour
Didn't know olight did those adapters, still it's extra stuff to buy and carry. I was more referring to when charging back at base etc, there's a Type-C cable on everything else, just charge on the go. I charged from my monitor/TV audio amp for example lol as have C cables attached to such devices by default.

Still, if you have a lot of Olights then it makes sense to stick to that ecosystem.

For me from now on if it doesn't have a Type-C port then I'm not going to look twice when shopping for tech :p

Soldato
They're OK... They mostly cater to people who just want a powerful modern torch and don't mind being stuck with their particular ecosystem.
They use a lot of proprietary batteries though, and will flood your email with lots of marketing about the 20 different new colours of torches of which you already own a dozen... plus nw special occasion colours for Valentine's, Christmas, Cancer Research, Thanksgiving, and just about every other imaginable excuse.

Some models are good, others are a bit lackluster.
I carry a Perun Mini every day, with a Lumintop AA Tool as a spare, but still prefer my Fenix & Nitecore ones in general.

Soldato
Fenix and Nitecore fan here, i have bought several models dating back 10 - 12 years or more and none of them failed, seemed well made, robust enough and very bright. Way better value and brighness than Surefire anyway.

Back
Top Bottom