Spec me an LED Torch

Last edited by a moderator:
http://www.manafont.com/product_inf...3mode-memory-led-dropin-module-42v-max-p-5178

Are there any new dropins about that would be as powerful as the above dropin but without the purple tint and PWM?

Will look into the guy on CPF at some point but would like to know if there are any I can buy easilly from an online store for now.

The dropin is really powerful with just the right balance of spill and center beam, but the flickering at the med and low setting drives me mad. Also the purple tint is horrible.

the reason for buying the extra bezel is because the stock bezel is both large and also rather pointy, and is quite unpleasant for pocket-carry. the stainless-steel replacement is tough, effective for hitting things and also still allows you to see if you've left the light on when placed face-down on a surface :)

And looks awesome ;):D.

Last edited:
Ive got the 5 mode and dont have any purple tint.

You can buy pretty easily from Nailbender and delivery is sharpish, he posted it on a Monday from the US and i had it delivered on the Friday.

Ive got the 5 mode and dont have any purple tint.

You can buy pretty easily from Nailbender and delivery is sharpish, he posted it on a Monday from the US and i had it delivered on the Friday.

Is that the guy on CPF?

The PWM flickering is my main gripe, I can't stand it. Don't get it with any of my Fenix torches on any setting. If I can get one as powerful as the one I linked to from Manafont, but without the flicker, I would be very happy.

Will sign up to CPF I think if there are none available anywhere else. What would I need to ask for? Haven't got a clue what all the model numbers etc mean :o.

Well I launched my l2 on to the brick flooring in a carpark today and.....it just scraped the finish :D

Liking this more and more with each use!

What would I need to ask for? Haven't got a clue what all the model numbers etc mean :o.

Post in the thread i linked you to and ask for a Cree XM-L T6 Cool White 2.8 amps.

Choose one of the options below:

1 level
2 level HI / Low
3 level Low / Med / High
3 level Hi / Low / Strobe (rotation of levels may change between driver batches)
5 level Low / Med / High / SOS / Strobe

Orange peel or smooth reflector

Choose thermal potted with tape (costs $5)

Internation shipping

Then just add what host the P60 will be going in and what battery will be in use.

Paypal him and leave your CPF username in the notes, his paypal info is in his profile on CPF.

Will cost $50.

sounds good to me Deluxe1 and Mark A. all i can add is that i strongly recommend you choose the thermal potting, which significantly increases shock-resistance, and also the copper tape helps you get a REALLY good thermal path between the module and the host-body :)

I can't believe no one else here has jumped on what I purchased way over a month ago at post #657 :confused:

Maybe I didn't post enough beam shots. But you cannot get more OTF lumens output from an LED light for less than £35.

I can't believe no one else here has jumped on what I purchased way over a month ago at post #657 :confused:

Maybe I didn't post enough beam shots. But you cannot get more OTF lumens output from an LED light for less than £35.

It's a bit excessive though, isn't it? I mean, I have a hard time using my single XM-L on max, it spends the vast majority of it's time on low which is about 90-110 lumens :)

On high it lights up the entire garden/room/street and wakes people up :p

It's a bit excessive though, isn't it? I mean, I have a hard time using my single XM-L on max, it spends the vast majority of it's time on low which is about 90-110 lumens :)

On high it lights up the entire garden/room/street and wakes people up :p

Excessive?

Not at all!

An HID is excessive!

You are missing out! :p

Currently my torch use AA batteries what the advantages and disadvantages torches using 18650 and CR123 batteries? Curious cause i would like a more powerful torch but they all use these "non standard" batteries. If if did go for a torch powered by them do you have any recommendation for a cheap introduction?

Advantages:
CR123A batteries = extremely long (10+ years) shelf life, high current delivery capabilities, very high capacity/energy density, light weight.
Lithium-Ion-Rechargeable = VERY high current delivery capability, high capacity/energy density, very low running costs

Essentially, lithium primaries and rechargeables allow flashlights smaller than a 2xAA light produce the same amount of light (actually rather more) as a 6xD-cell light.

Lithium Primaries are very good for emergency use (because they'll always be ready and they work down to -25c) and Lithium-Rechargeables are good for day-to-day use, because they hold their charge for long-enough (several months) and cost pennies to recharge once you have the equipment.

Last edited:
his draws 2.67A from two 18650's and drives three XM-Ls, so is probably brighter, albeit considerably less convenient :p

But it won't be 2.69a per emitter, it will be 2.69/3 = 1.23a per emitter. As XM-Ls are remarkably linear in output/current up to about 2.5a then the lumens output will probably only equal a single emitter being driven @ 2.8a.

possibly... who knows how the electronics are arranged considering the 7.4V input.

I'd have to take one apart and probe it with a DSO to figure it out really.

Back
Top Bottom