Spec me an LED Torch

Why do Fennix torches cost so much then? the same goes for LED Lensers. I have seen them in person and they don't really look or feel any more waterproof/tough than the SolarForce host I have. Not tried dropping one though but the SF certainly can take being dropped with force on a brick!

Fenix are much better quality than a Solarforce. I own both and you can easily see where the extra money goes.

Square deep cut threads that are also hard anodised rather than the none anodised V threads on the Solarforce. Much better quality anodising, that goes all the way around the torch and even inside, not just the parts that are seen. The TK series is also really thick, you could probably drive over one and it wouldn't damage it.

The LED are also white rather than purple and don't use PWM so that you get flickering on lower settings. I had to pay £31 to get a custom made LED module to hopefully get something more like a Fenix. Add to that the £20 for the L2P host and its not far off what it would cost for a Fenix TK21, but with a lower quality body than the fenix.

Last edited:
Ah I see thanks, just didn't seem immediately obvious that's all!

Not sure about the purple light bit though, neither of mine are purple! White though, indeed :)

Ah I see thanks, just didn't seem immediately obvious that's all!

Not sure about the purple light bit though, neither of mine are purple! White though, indeed :)

I was led to believe that with the cheaper dropins you could never guarantee they didn't have a tint to the light. Mine came with a purple tint. Probably not obvious to most people but compared to my fenix it was very obvious and just didn't like it very much.

The only one of mine that hasd a manky tint was the DealXtreme one, both SolarForce and Manafont ones (XP-G and XM-L) have white colour output as do 3x the XR-E Q5 powered eBay bought torches!

I have just ordered one of these for a bit of fun.

http://www.manafont.com/product_inf...s-3modes-memory-flashlight-218650-rev2-p-7570

It seems to get good reviews for the price.

Edit Just noticed 2StepSteve has already got one.

You will love it.

Look what it just did to my carpet after 3 minutes.

skyray3xt6burn.jpg

I didn't mean to do this BTW. I left it on high for a few minutes and then smelt something strong :p

After this happened I measured heat in excess of 100C from the carpet, and this was only a 3 minute exposure while on high mode.

Just thought i'd ask this in here as its LED related.

Bought some LED strip lights to put under my kitchen cabinets. Just not 100% how to wire them up. At first I cut them to size then joined them with wire, end to end, so it was effectively one long strip.

It worked but was difficult to hide the wires. So I'm hoping I can do it this way instead. I've put wires onto the end of each strip and hoping I can simply join all the positive wires together and all the negative wires together so that its a parallel circuit. Is this correct? I have tried them and all the lights light up the same brightness.

DSC_1850.jpg

Not sure what make they are but they're pretty bright. Think they are 5050 leds, in warm white. I'm going to make some housings for them instead of just sticking them under the cabinets.

I let it stand for 5 mins last night and it certainly wasnt that hot, took it out for abit and it is like a wall of light infront of you.

Also got a ucl coated lens for my XM-L and that gave the same sort of floodyness.

Back
Top Bottom