Spec me an LED Torch

Best AA-based torch? 2 x AA or 4 x AA

I am looking for another torch to use around the house after my Fenix LD20 got designated as the bike torch. I have a LOAD of rechargeable NiMH batteries (2500mAh) and would therefore like a torch that supports these, as I don't want to have to buy 18650 / CR123A cells and chargers when I already have loads of AA cells and a charger. This is the case even if I'd get better performance as I'm keen to spend as little as possible.

So please can you recommend a torch that fits the above? No other specific requirements as it's just for the loft / garden / garage. I don't want to spend more than £50, and preferably far less that that. Thanks!

If it's just a "bumbling round the house" light than any 1xAA or 2xAA would be sufficient really. remember that regular NiMH cells self-discharge pretty fast :)

Thanks. It is just a round the house torch, but I still want 200 lumens for when I need to do something in the garage at night.

What do you think of the LED Lenser P14, £45 from Amazon? Overpriced / better available for the money?

Yeah I've experienced the discharge thing, but I've seemingly always got a batch of NiMH batteries charging so I can just swap them out if they've self-discharged. Many thanks.

Li-Ion cells don't get warm unless they're being charged fairly fast.

Came across a post on one of the torch forums suggesting that some older cells may get warm during charging but if cells are hot to touch best to bin?

I've learnt so much about li-ion in this thread thanks to aod and amigafan2003 .

Theres some fairly critical info that needs taking into account when running these cells i.e over-charging and over-discharging.

Perhaps an faq on li-ion cells would be an idea for new users :)

Came across a post on one of the torch forums suggesting that some older cells may get warm during charging but if cells are hot to touch best to bin?

I've learnt so much about li-ion in this thread thanks to aod and amigafan2003 .

Theres some fairly critical info that needs taking into account when running these cells i.e over-charging and over-discharging.

Perhaps an faq on li-ion cells would be an idea for new users :)

yeah, my 3 year old 18650s get ever so slightly warm to the touch when on the CC portion of their charge cycle :)

My newer samsungs and my AW 17670's don't get warm at all.

Well I finished charging my first free 18650 cell, 4.19 volts, will check it again in 24 hours and charge some more tomorrow.

sounds good. As long as it shows more than 4.16V then it's a good'un :)

so what is the difference between smooth reflector and dimpled?

A smooth reflector will project light in a tighter, more confined beam, but will show many more beam-defects, dark spots creases and wrinkles. a dimpled (or "orange-peel") reflector projects a clean and smooth beam at the cost of greater beam divergence. :)

sounds good. As long as it shows more than 4.16V then it's a good'un :)

A smooth reflector will project light in a tighter, more confined beam, but will show many more beam-defects, dark spots creases and wrinkles. a dimpled (or "orange-peel") reflector projects a clean and smooth beam at the cost of greater beam divergence. :)

i see.

i never ever imagines there was so much that went into a torch :p

interesting stuff, although i can now see me buying 15 different torches lol

It's the technical term :)
icon14.gif

It's worth noting there is a difference between the C8's stock (plastic) smooth reflector and an aluminum smooth one! The alu one has a clean beam pattern and the centre spot is also a pure spot, no gaps (even slight) in the middle. There is a very minor halo around the centre spot before the surrounding beam but after that it's pure light, no artifacts!

The alu reflector can be had from Manafont for under £4 inc postage!

It's worth noting there is a difference between the C8's stock (plastic) smooth reflector and an aluminum smooth one! The alu one has a clean beam pattern and the centre spot is also a pure spot, no gaps (even slight) in the middle. There is a very minor halo around the centre spot before the surrounding beam but after that it's pure light, no artifacts!

The alu reflector can be had from Manafont for under £4 inc postage!

Just goes to show the value of a really well made reflector over a cheap one :)

Just don't touch the surface, DO NOT TOUCH THE SURFACE WITH ANYTHING LOL!

I learnt this the hard way, twice!!

Once you put even a fine cloth to it you will web it!

yeah, it's because of the way that they're made.
they're placed in a chamber and monatomic aluminium vapour is electrically accelerated towards the reflector's raw surface where it bonds to the aluminium.

because of this, the reflector surface resembles a sponge on the atomic scale, and as such, even the lightest of light touches will irrevocably mar the surface :)

Back
Top Bottom