Spec me an LED Torch

A[L]C;20498206 said:
So is the XTAR a decent charger to get? I cant afford a Pila unfortunately

yes it's a great charger for the price. it will safely charge your cells without overcharging them. although it is not a cc/cv charger like the pila, it mimics this well. it has 500ma and 1000ma switch. also usb charging functionality.

my xtar wp2mkII charges my cells up to exactly 4.16v :)

i ordered mine from this ebay seller and arrived quickly and included uk adaptor and car adaptor

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/XTAR-New-...ltDomain_0&hash=item231332daec#ht_5315wt_1063

A[L]C;20498620 said:
Cool thanks. For the price I will have to give it a go.

Does it cut out or keep trickling?
It effectively cuts off, the charge at cutoff is less than 100uA (One hundred millionths of an Amp)

Just ordered an Xtar charger from the ebay link ThriceNightly posted. £13 seems like a bargain and should charge my cells faster. My WF-139 has seemed fine so far, but without having a multimeter i'll feel safer with the Xtar.

Those Xtar 2600's use Sanyo cells apparently. Think I'll get a couple of them as well.

so right kind of wondering about the torches I got compared to what you lot have on here. I see mention of the fenix a lot on here I am interested.

I thought I'd share with you all the torches I've got. I got these from ebay and they are pretty powerful and very well built they also cost a fraction of what the cost is of torches most of you have on here:

DSC_0832.jpg

DSC_0834.jpg

DSC_0835.jpg

DSC_0841.jpg

DSC_0846.jpg

DSC_0848.jpg

Now the problem I have is these no longer work because

* those white bits (where the batteries go into) are pretty much broken.

* the smaller torch takes 3 X AAA batteries

* larger torch takes 4 X AAA batteries.

Might be a long shot but I think they might work if I buy bigger batteries and use them straight any ideas which ones I would need?

Also what do you all think of the torches? I got to say they are very good in terms of build quality, usability and enough light for my purposes.

Just thought I'd share them with you and I hope I can get them working again

thanks

psd99

they're more of a flood light and wont give off as much light, guessing only 80lumens?

i just spent 15 quid on a new cree LED for my maglite at 180 lumens and most on here are talking about atleast 700/800 lumens.

Last edited:
Those, my friend, are not torches! Those are children's toys!

Plenty of torches have been recommended over the last 2 pages, both cheap and pricey but absolutely all of them will wipe the floor with the ones pictured above!

For under a £15 you could have 2 fairly high powered (200-400 lumens) Cree LED torches. Just jump backa few pages and see what has been recommended :)

they're more of a flood light and wont give off as much light, guessing only 80lumens?

tbh I don't know? I got them maybe 2-3 years ago. They are fairly powerful but I'm no torch buff.

Those, my friend, are not torches! Those are children's toys!

Plenty of torches have been recommended over the last 2 pages, both cheap and pricey but absolutely all of them will wipe the floor with the ones pictured above!

For under a £15 you could have 2 fairly high powered (200-400 lumens) Cree LED torches. Just jump backa few pages and see what has been recommended :)

lol of course they are torches. :)

thanks - but the fenix range look better :)

I like the look of the tk40 I think it is
just got to pluck up the courage to fork out the £65 to get one of those bad boys

i have the same sort of torch, 25 little LEDs and compaired agaisnt my 120 lumens torch its ****

lol so they must be like 20 or 50 lumens then

I don't get this lumen stuff properly I've seen some torches which have high lumens but very small price...

A lot of torches have high lumens but are cheap, Cree LEDs are cheap, even the high end ones. It's the construction and brand you're paying for with these proper LED torches. You can get a very powerful and fairly well built torch that's weather resistant for next to no money at all.

Even ASDA sells what appears to be a Cree XR-E based LED torch now, they're £7.99 and come in a variety of aluminium housings. No idea on how good they are as I only saw them on the shelf and they're in sealed packs. Someone give one a try? :p They run off AA batteries from what I saw briefly.

Last edited:
lol so they must be like 20 or 50 lumens then

I don't get this lumen stuff properly I've seen some torches which have high lumens but very small price...

Torch sellers are like budget speaker sellers, the specifications have one thing in common; they're all made up :p :D

Your torches are probably about as bright as my smallest torch.

That said, you can get a torch with a very high light output on the cheap, but the specs will likely still be fallacious :p

A lot of torches have high lumens but are cheap, Cree LEDs are cheap, even the high end ones. It's the construction and brand you're paying for with these proper LED torches. You can get a very powerful and fairly well built torch that's weather resistant for next to no money at all.

Even ASDA sells what appears to be a Cree XR-E based LED torch now, they're £7.99 and come in a variety of aluminium housings. No idea on how good they are as I only saw them on the shelf and they're in sealed packs. Someone give one a try? :p They run off AA batteries from what I saw briefly.

lol okay so you think a cree torch will be enough for me?

which model shall I go for?

Something exactly like that^! It won't be 1300 lumens by any stretch but it will be bright, very very bright.

I've run my C8 under the tap to wash it as well and it's had no problem keeping water out.

I'd ditch the bundled charger and probably batteries too though and get some of the ones recommended earlier in this thread over the last day or 2.

Something exactly like that^! It won't be 1300 lumens by any stretch but it will be bright, very very bright.

I've run my C8 under the tap to wash it as well and it's had no problem keeping water out.

I'd ditch the bundled charger and probably batteries too though and get some of the ones recommended earlier in this thread over the last day or 2.

why ditch them? if they come with the torch might as well keep em
plus I won't be using the torch that much

so this is what I don't get why would one get the fenix instead of the cree torch when the cree can obviously give out more light and is more powerful?

(is it sort of like build quality)

Back
Top Bottom