Spec me an LED Torch

Because they're probably (almost definitely) going to be cheap fakes hence why they're bundled at virtually no extra cost! Chances are even if they are fakes they will be fine but you'd still have that lingering "what if" when you leave them charging over night.

bloody heck you got like 45k posts wow - I think if you put all of my lifetime forums together I wouldn't be close to that lol

Over 10 years of being a member, 44k is nothing especially when you consider that someone can post wherever they are, from a phone, from their Wii, from a laptop...etc.

i don't think Genuine Ultrafires are necessarily any better than fake Ultrafire... all the companies get their cells from the same places anyway :p

Which one? the C8 with the XM-L emitter? that depends on the atmosphere, ambient brightness, how good your eyes are and a whole bunch of other things. it'll probably be quite far though :)

I have the XR-E (Q5) version of the C8 and I measured the centre beam distance at 183~ metres and that was in normal street lit conditions at night so in total darkness it will be even more. And that was with the stock reflector, add a bit more for the better quality aluminium reflecvtor I guess!

So that XM-L will be even further :)

At those kinds of distances the C8 is like a spot light due to its powerful centre beam, which is nice.

I have the XR-E (Q5) version of the C8 and I measured the centre beam distance at 183~ metres and that was in normal street lit conditions at night so in total darkness it will be even more. And that was with the stock reflector, add a bit more for the better quality aluminium reflecvtor I guess!

So that XM-L will be even further :)

not necessarily... :(

Hence the issue. The dynamics of beam geometry are a bit complex, but suffice to say, while there's four times as much light, it's coming from a source more than four times the size. because of this, the same reflector will create a beam with greater divergence which will result in less throw.

Remember that while a torch may be able to launch the same amount of light as far as a tighter-beamed light, if it has a much wider beam you wouldn't be able to see it because closer objects will drown out the furthest because they'll be lit more intensely.

Hence the issue. The dynamics of beam geometry are a bit complex, but suffice to say, while there's four times as much light, it's coming from a source more than four times the size. because of this, the same reflector will create a beam with greater divergence which will result in less throw.

Remember that while a torch may be able to launch the same amount of light as far as a tighter-beamed light, if it has a much wider beam you wouldn't be able to see it because closer objects will drown out the furthest because they'll be lit more intensely.

Ah I see, that makes more sense now!

Back
Top Bottom