Spec me an LED Torch

Just noticed these Dewalt torches while browsing Screwfix. They look pretty good, really robust looking. They have 1 x AA, 2 x D and 3 x AAA. from what I can see they have an orange peel reflector and are solid aluminium and looks like a very good anodising when you zoom in.

Impact Resistant
Water Resistant
Shatterproof Lens
000 Hours Life
1AAT
Cree 25ft Drop Test

Anyone got one?

http://www.screwfix.com/p/dewalt-1aat-6000-series-1-x-aa-torch/60042#

Looks like a tiny reflector and being quite heavily Opd will put out a low throw as well tbh. They don't even mention what emitter is used or the lumens rating or even a watts rating.

Plus it looks butt ugly!

Looks robust though, like a mini Fenix TK :D.

I can't seem to find any other info out about them. Google just shows the screwfix page.

Aww, my local screwfix has none in stock. I am going tomorrow to pick up some other gear so was going to get one.

Last edited:
I'm going to get my dad a good torch for xmas.

It has to be AA batteries and no more than about £60 or £70

I have a quark AA 2 turbo myself which has been great so am thinking of getting the Fenix LD20 R5 or Quark AA 2 Tactical. (he would benefit from flood rather than throw)

Are there any other torches that AA powered and would be better than either of these?

edit - how about the led lenser P14. 4AA but sound squite good. what are 'alkaline Mignon batteries' ??

edit 2 - LD20 and Eneloop batteries ordered. Dont want it not to turn up before xmas :)

Last edited:
Nope.

I will check it out though once Aod sends it back :p
Sorry Matey, i'll get it sent back as soon as I have an opportunity. I got a job (finally) the day after I got back from SA and have been busy ever since. i'll have a day-off soon and send it then, along with your SA-souvenir :D

Has anyone tried the new 3100mAh AW batteries? I lost my old batteries after my cycling accident and I'm about to order some.
They should be every bit as good as his 2900mAh cells, with just a tiny bit more capacity. personally, i don't feel that they're better than the 2900's by enough to justify the price difference.

Apparently the Panasonic 3100 cells will drop to 2900mAh after ten or so charge cycles anyway...

I'm going to get my dad a good torch for xmas.

It has to be AA batteries and no more than about £60 or £70

I have a quark AA 2 turbo myself which has been great so am thinking of getting the Fenix LD20 R5 or Quark AA 2 Tactical. (he would benefit from flood rather than throw)

Are there any other torches that AA powered and would be better than either of these?

edit - how about the led lenser P14. 4AA but sound squite good. what are 'alkaline Mignon batteries' ??

edit 2 - LD20 and Eneloop batteries ordered. Dont want it not to turn up before xmas :)

Good choice on the LD20 and Eneloops! That should be him sorted a treat. just make sure he recharges those 'loops and doesn't throw 'em away when they're flat :D

btw, "Mignon" is the French/European term for AA sized cells. :)

Good choice on the LD20 and Eneloops! That should be him sorted a treat. just make sure he recharges those 'loops and doesn't throw 'em away when they're flat :D

btw, "Mignon" is the French/European term for AA sized cells. :)

Will the Eneloops charge ok even on an old crappy charger that he uses for his current rechargables? I didnt want to spend another £30 odd on a new charger aswell

Ta

FYI just bought a MagicShine MJ-856 light unit (no battery) for my commuting bike - 4*XPG's giving 1600lumens of excellent flood (not that it will be anywhere near 1600lumens of course). Has four levels - 100% - 75% - 50% -30% and battery indicator.

I'm building my own battery in a water bottle (four Turningy nanotech 7.4v 2Ah lipos in 1s4p config giving 8Ah) as I don't trust MagicShines batteries - 2s2p non balanced 18650's sound like a recipe for disaster!

Will post back when all complete.

Just charge it normally, you don't need to let it run down or constantly keep it charged either, it's Li-On. Just keep an eye on what it charges to with a multimeter. Ideally you want it charging to 4.20v or a little bit less.

Back
Top Bottom