Spec me Some Good Champagne

Soldato
They have a bottle of Salon at the shop down the road. Pretty sure they have a 97. Tempting. Always is.

Anyone had any Ace of Spades / Armand de Brignac? It's not something I've ever had, but wondering how it compares to the Cristal/Krugs?

taB

taB

Associate
Not had Ace of Spades but have been told it's nothing special by a couple of friends. A chum was telling me about Boerl & Kroff the other day, he was very impressed with it. Makes all the grand stuff discussed in this thread look bargainous...

On the Taittinger front, just had the first bottle of NV from a case I bought 6 years ago and have stored (Morrisons £16/btl). It was glorious.

Soldato
On the Taittinger front, just had the first bottle of NV from a case I bought 6 years ago and have stored (Morrisons £16/btl). It was glorious.

I can remember buying a box on that deal, unfortunately it all got drunk within the year. I bet it tastes absolutely amazing.

Great flavor with a hint of honey at the end, divine!

We tend to buy when its on offer and don't usually pay more than £24-£26 a bottle. It's usually on offer around Valentines which is when we stock up.

Soldato
Any good deals for champagne at the moment? Majestic are doing 33% off, but that's for 2 bottles. Would like something nice to drink on Christmas day.

Soldato
I went in to the wine shop on the way home on Friday, which is always dangerous.

I've got mates over tomorrow night for a mini Christmas and we always tend to one up each other/ the bottles as it's a bit of a laugh. Last time we got the jeroboam of Louis and this time I've ordered a Methuselah of Tattinger.

While ordering that, I also saw that they had some nice new limited edition Louis called "starck" it's an Extra Brut, which seems to be popular at the moment.
10843886_315942961929992_194321100_n.jpg

Got a NV Louis as well, too, as I thought it needed to be done.

That's where I got a bit carried away and thought I'd see if they had any 97 Salon left. They had a couple left (they only get sent 6 of each vintage) and so I had to get one.

On top of that, I got a supermarket Christmas deal of a Magnum of Pommery for 39EUR which seems a bargain.

Last edited:
Soldato
Yea, I had a Rothschild Extra brut the other week and that was nice. Obviously dry, but I prefer a bit drier. Demi sec has a place, but it's not something I could drink all day.

There are some great deals at the moment on crement too. I got a case of 6 for 30euros and it's a really nice one too. Found another fantastic one for 6EUR which I'd say rivals a lot of shop main brand Champagnes.

Soldato
It's a weird / good place to be for it to be honest. You have the choice of 10s of different crements in the supermarket and as it's so cheap here, due to being local, it doesn't matter if you have a crap one. Spoilt in that way.

Soldato
I'm trying to find something special and reasonably priced to have on Christmas Day. Those bottles look special, but I'm not sure how reasonable the price would be over here!

I'm also very tempted to plan a trip to the Champagne region at some point next year. My brother has done it a couple of times and has brought back some lovely bottles.

Soldato
Yea, I had a Rothschild Extra brut the other week and that was nice. Obviously dry, but I prefer a bit drier. Demi sec has a place, but it's not something I could drink all day.

Bolly RD is very different in taste to the house style NV/Grande Annee and is, by it's definition, Extra Brut.. so it would be interesting to see what the taste is of the LR in comparison.

Ninja edit because I thought it was the Tat rather than LR..

Soldato
I'm trying to find something special and reasonably priced to have on Christmas Day. Those bottles look special, but I'm not sure how reasonable the price would be over here!

I'm also very tempted to plan a trip to the Champagne region at some point next year. My brother has done it a couple of times and has brought back some lovely bottles.

What kind of price are you thinking of?

Gosset Grande Reserve would be my go to choice for anything at a mid price point.

Otherwise see if you can get some Delamotte Blanc de Blanc, should be around £40 a bottle and it's cracking stuff. From memory they get their grapes from Salon for when they don't quite meet the vintage standard.

Soldato
What kind of price are you thinking of?

Gosset Grande Reserve would be my go to choice for anything at a mid price point.

Otherwise see if you can get some Delamotte Blanc de Blanc, should be around £40 a bottle and it's cracking stuff. From memory they get their grapes from Salon for when they don't quite meet the vintage standard.
Up to about £50, although would obviously consider more if it were a magnum. I'll have a look at those, and I'll pop into Hedonism Wines which is round the corner from my office. I don't expect great prices, but they should have a decent selection.

Back
Top Bottom