Spiders

Weirdly, I can't stand the webs - I have a proper phobia of them. If there's a spider web going near the car door - I can't touch it, go near it or anything it drives me insane. One time I walked through a full-blown web, and I went off like a proper Karen.

On the other hand - the spiders themselves, I don't have much problem with, I can pick them up or whatever - it's just the webs, nope.
I hate a web to the face. Like when you're up early in the day and they've left a strand of web between buildings or across a pathway.

Seen some pretty huge spiders when opening tropical fruit and South American banana containers, which in the case of banana's, can have a clear plastic sheet behind the door, so coming face to face with a face sized spider was pretty common.
One that does scare me though is the wandering or banana spider. Nasty piece of work in usual temps and can still put up a good fight at 10°c and seen looking for a fight at 4°c

I wouldn't take any chances with Phoneutria.

Yep, they're about that aggressive life. It's like the spider version of an Orange Baboon Tarantula, but you know, one that'll kill you if it bites you.

I've been bitten by an orange baboon tarantula (Pterinochilus murinus) - I wouldn't recommend it, it's fairly uncomfortable.

Off topic. Is it legal to buy and own a black widow spider? Asking for a friend

Yes, but in the UK you need a Dangerous Wild Animals licence.

I must admit that I really dislike adult size house Spiders

But I am ok with smaller garden types, I have loads of them in my glasshouse and every time I walk in there I end up walking into a web with a Spider and I dont really mind anymore.

Its Wasps I really cant stand and aggressive honey bees.

I seen one the other week and i could swear it was charging at me. Came flying out from under the couch and had a real menace look in its eyes. I naturally hit the roof in a fright

Had an absolutely chonker in the bathroom recently. Thick. Speedy AF. Too big for a pint glass.

And then was going to bed the other evening and out the corner of my eye there was a false widow looking spider on the pillow next to me, walking towards me.

I noped so quickly out of that room and came back to it just waiting on my pillow.

Even had one bite me and make my finger bleed recently. Properly thick boy.

All eight of them :eek:
At least 6 of them! I'd hate to imagine what the other 2 were focused on.

The one from the other week, a teacake foil wrapper drifted off the table onto the floor. We were watching tv in a dimly lit room, while this spider was smaller than the brute that charged at me, it was one of those crazy fast ones that just look like a blur - i knew i could see something, but i couldn't focus on it. Till it hit the teacake wrapper. NOPE. Even the dog got a fright.
Had an absolutely chonker in the bathroom recently. Thick. Speedy AF. Too big for a pint glass.

And then was going to bed the other evening and out the corner of my eye there was a false widow looking spider on the pillow next to me, walking towards me.

I noped so quickly out of that room and came back to it just waiting on my pillow.

Even had one bite me and make my finger bleed recently. Properly thick boy.
Circumference or depth?

House spiders are the worst, big hairy legs and a burst of speed in them. You certainly won't find me picking one up, though for many years I try my very hardest not to kill them when removing them from the house, usually with a glass and letter.

Spindlers I don't mind, especially as they're aggressive and I have seen them attacking house spiders! The grizzly scene in the kitchen of the flat I used to live in was testament to that, 16 furious legs until the spindler channelled Rocky and finished by calmly wrapping the hairy thug.

Mid to small size ones I'll handle without concern. Australia? In this regard it gives me the willies!

It's crazy how such a little thing can freak most of us humans out.

The thing that's freaking me out lately is hearing about people getting ticks. Used to get some out of my dog which was horrible but can't imagine seeing one burrowing in my leg!

Any spiders I see indoors is getting hit with an electric fly swatter, usually kills smaller ones instantly and the bigger ones about a penny in size takes a few seconds. Ones that annoy me are the ones that love hiding inside the car wing mirrors as I end up having a big new web daily. To fix that I just spray a good amount of spider killer behind the glass, usually prevents them staying there for a few weeks.

Any spiders I see indoors is getting hit with an electric fly swatter, usually kills smaller ones instantly and the bigger ones about a penny in size takes a few seconds. Ones that annoy me are the ones that love hiding inside the car wing mirrors as I end up having a big new web daily. To fix that I just spray a good amount of spider killer behind the glass, usually prevents them staying there for a few weeks.
Spiders can be beneficial to have in your home because they eat common household pests, such as flies, mosquitoes, roaches, earwigs, and clothes moths. This provides an eco-friendly, chemical-free, and practical way to control pests. Spiders can also help reduce the spread of disease by eating bugs that can carry diseases. How can you kill these friendly little critters! At least scoop them up in a glass and put them outside :D

Spiders can be beneficial to have in your home because they eat common household pests, such as flies, mosquitoes, roaches, earwigs, and clothes moths. This provides an eco-friendly, chemical-free, and practical way to control pests. Spiders can also help reduce the spread of disease by eating bugs that can carry diseases. How can you kill these friendly little critters! At least scoop them up in a glass and put them outside :D

Can't stand them, the amount of spiders I have in my back garden is insane. Stomp the ground hard enough during the summer and you'll see absolutely loads of them, ends up looking like something from the arachnophobia film and these spiders tend to be the really black ones about somewhere between the size of a penny and two pence piece when they are fully grown and are damn fast. Not sure what spider they are but good luck catching those things when they run, it's like trying to catch a fly. The moment they see you coming from a decent distance they run like hell. Now that the weather is pretty warm I expect to see more of them but hopefully not indoors.

GET OUT OF HERE COMMIE!

Spiders... eugh. Saw more in the house during April/May than the whole of last year, usually get shoe splattered / vacuumed / raid'd if too big, money spiders and the tiny jumping things get put back outside.
If we're after random irrational fears: the old high hung style toilet cisterns, especially black ones, always feel like it's going to fall off. Don't ask, no idea why :confused::o:cry:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom