SPL Season 2009/10

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Let's just see how the season pans out then because I disagree with that statement.

I'm sure you would Eddie. Might have a point though you no longer have knackeredmotor in the team who was a master of falling over a blade of grass but then you still have Scuba Scott so actually no I'm sure I can.

Soldato
I'm sure you would Eddie. Might have a point though you no longer have knackeredmotor in the team who was a master of falling over a blade of grass but then you still have Scuba Scott so actually no I'm sure I can.

You're right McMav, they don't have the free kick get out of jail clause this season.

Nor

Nor

Associate
Not sure what you mean for the barge is it the one where the guy was running through and bougherra caught up and kicked the ball out? If its that then yer talking rot. As for McCulloch well he got away with it as the ref obv thought he was going for the ball which imo he wasnt. I'm no fan of McCulloch but I've seen it happen from players of most teams and nothing been done about it. Biggest offenders are Keepers look at Boruc last year ran out chopped the player down last man no foul no red card so all teams get away with things like this but we dont moan about it when it happens in favour of our own club. For every dodgy Rangers award I'/m sure I could come up with a similar one for Celtc

Agree with you re McCulloch. Surprised there's been no mention of it, not shown on highlights etc. We need to get shot of stuff like that (and Loovens one last year) from our game. It's that kind of mentality which is holding our game back.

The Bougherra one is this one. Apologies for the clip title.

Soldato
Ah that one. Footballs supposed to be a mans game not much contact in it if we start giving those out there will be at least 1 per game. But again we could also say the Hearts goal should not have stood as it was started from an offside position. Look at weir he looks alogn his line and is raging with linesman.

Nor

Nor

Associate
Ah that one. Footballs supposed to be a mans game not much contact in it if we start giving those out there will be at least 1 per game. But again we could also say the Hearts goal should not have stood as it was started from an offside position. Look at weir he looks alogn his line and is raging with linesman.

I agree that we don't want a non-contact sport, but for me that looked like a barge in the back and a penalty. All we both want is consistency though. If that's allowed, then that's fine, provided it's always allowed. I reckon before the season is out we'll see a penalty given for the exact same thing.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I agree that we don't want a non-contact sport, but for me that looked like a barge in the back and a penalty. All we both want is consistency though. If that's allowed, then that's fine, provided it's always allowed. I reckon before the season is out we'll see a penalty given for the exact same thing.

Looked like a pretty nailed on barge to me but I could be a bit biased on that score. However Witteveen could possibly be argued to be heading away from goal when shoved so maybe that is why it wasn't a penalty - I'd disagree with that but I can see it might be a valid reason. If the rulings are carried out consistently then that's fair enough either way as you say.

Soldato

The main reason is because the same ref does not ref every single game played so their interpretation varies along with standards. If C.Thomson gives an award for exactly the same challenge then I'd agree with you. Time will tell. Perhaps we were lucky perhaps on another day Kevin Thomson would only have got a Yellow(consistency here as the tackle on Miller in second half merited a Red also? perhaps on another day the Hearts goal would have been ruled offside. Unfortunately Ref and linesman standards in Scotland are imo at an all time low. What really surprises me in that video is Mr Celtic Andy Walker says the Ref called it right.

Soldato
To watch the all the televised SPL games I'll need ESPN and SKY SPORTS?

I just looked it up and it cost 27 quid per month?

I don't understand setanta offered 120 million and charged £10 per month SKY/ESPN offer 60 million and charge 27 per month.

I was considering 10 quid per month but no way am I paying 27 quid for SPL.

Soldato
To watch the all the televised SPL games I'll need ESPN and SKY SPORTS?

I just looked it up and it cost 27 quid per month?

I don't understand setanta offered 120 million and charged £10 per month SKY/ESPN offer 60 million and charge 27 per month.

I was considering 10 quid per month but no way am I paying 27 quid for SPL.

And you wonder why Setanta folded? :D

Nor

Nor

Associate
The main reason is because the same ref does not ref every single game played so their interpretation varies along with standards. If C.Thomson gives an award for exactly the same challenge then I'd agree with you. Time will tell. Perhaps we were lucky perhaps on another day Kevin Thomson would only have got a Yellow(consistency here as the tackle on Miller in second half merited a Red also? perhaps on another day the Hearts goal would have been ruled offside. Unfortunately Ref and linesman standards in Scotland are imo at an all time low. What really surprises me in that video is Mr Celtic Andy Walker says the Ref called it right.

I agree that some decisions are down to the discretion of the referee, but you'd hope that they could have some sort of consistancy between them.

Was the tackle on Miller the one where he got booked as well for the mini-reaction? If it was then I don't agree that it was a red. It was clealy a foul, but it was in slow motion. From what I understand Thomson was sent off because he was not in control of the challenge - a new Fifa directive apparently. I think on another ocassion Thomson might have gotten away with a yellow, but you could see a challenge like that ending up with a broken leg for either party. Think it's something we need to remove from the game tbh.

As for Andy Walker being Mr Celtic :) I think he's been annoyed at Celtic ever since The Bunnet made him pay for the jersey he was paraded in :) Andy Walker has consistantly been of the opinion that if there's contact, it's a penalty. His whole ethos changed on Sunday though :) I get the impression that he feels he's seen as a 'Celtic man' because he used to play for that club, so goes out of his way to be 'impartial' - which translates as biased the other way. Whatever we disagree on on that score, I think we can both agree that he is absolutely horrific at punditry, and has taken it to a new level with his summarising.

Last edited:
Soldato
Its the one Obue(sp) does him with a similar lunge only with studs showing was in second half CBA checking for time on BBC highlights but if you look you'll see it Millar wasnt booked though. RE Walker yeah mans a muppet diving in the box under mearest contact was good enough for Andy for it to be a penalty as it was an (ART) maybe he has changed his tone as he is on a real football channel which broadcasts to the nation now and not Radio Clyde with all their numpties.

Soldato
Sky Sports Breaking News at the bottom of the page....

Sir David Murray to step down as Rangers Chairman.....

Nothing on the club site yet or any news outlets but I assume similar to what happened before when he stepped down.

Nor

Nor

Associate
Its the one Obue(sp) does him with a similar lunge only with studs showing was in second half CBA checking for time on BBC highlights but if you look you'll see it Millar wasnt booked though. RE Walker yeah mans a muppet diving in the box under mearest contact was good enough for Andy for it to be a penalty as it was an (ART) maybe he has changed his tone as he is on a real football channel which broadcasts to the nation now and not Radio Clyde with all their numpties.

Ah, think that's a different one then. Will have to have a look at it.

Aye, Walker is a baffoon. Represents all that's wrong with the current crop of pundits in Scotland.

Sky Sports Breaking News at the bottom of the page....

Sir David Murray to step down as Rangers Chairman.....

Nothing on the club site yet or any news outlets but I assume similar to what happened before when he stepped down.

Just read that. Alastair Johnson to take over apparently.

Soldato
Basically stepping down from the Board of Directors also just holding his majority share thats all. Will be interesting to see the repercussions of this in the coming months.

Nor

Nor

Associate
Basically stepping down from the Board of Directors also just holding his majority share thats all. Will be interesting to see the repercussions of this in the coming months.

Have to wonder why he's doing it now. It's been reported that Rangers owe the bank £2m before the end of August.

Soldato
Have to wonder why he's doing it now. It's been reported that Rangers owe the bank £2m before the end of August.

Maybe he just doesnt wanna take the flak should the club have to sell off an asset by the close of the transfer window, I really don't know what to think.

If anything a fresh approach may be what we need right now.

Sir David Murray has announced he is to step down as a Board Director and Chairman of Rangers Football Club.

He will be succeeded as chairman of the club by Alastair Johnston (61), a director of the club for the last five years.

Murray said: "For the last 20 years I have been actively involved in the club on an almost daily basis and I think that now is the right time to take a step back."

He added: "I have said many times that being the chairman of Rangers is not something anyone should do forever and I have personal and business interests outside the club I would like to pursue.

"As things stand, I remain the majority shareholder at the club and will always have the best interests of Rangers at heart but it is time to pass on the chairman's baton.

"For me personally, it has been a tremendous honour and privilege to serve as chairman of Rangers.

"There have been so many great moments to savour and it is particularly gratifying to step down when the club are reigning SPL champions, Scottish Cup holders and about to embark on another exciting journey in the UEFA Champions League.

"The club has the governance and management in place, both in footballing and business terms, to deliver further success in the future and Rangers can go forward with confidence.

Glasgow-born Johnston is a graduate of the University of Strathclyde and vice-Chairman and member of the Board of Directors of IMG, the leading international sports and entertainment group. He is a lifelong Rangers fan and became a director of the club in February 2004.

He said: "I consider it a great honour to be appointed chairman of the club and can say to our supporters that the board, management and staff will spare no effort in striving to ensure that Rangers Football Club enjoys a successful future."

Last edited:
Soldato
I think he is pre-empting the (further) calls for him to step down if the transfer window shuts without any players arriving. Who have Rangers signed this summer?

He's been honest from the offset about the clubs financial state and despite it being of his own doings what else could he have done in these circumstances. I for one haven't called for him to step down as I dont think anyone out there could do anything different at the minute.

Hard enough to attract a buyer to the SPL so that isn't going to happen anytime soon either.

You know we have signed no players in this transfer window and clearly trying to bait some sort of a reaction but if we dont lose any of our big players in this window I will be reasonably confident going forward into this season.

As for people who mention Champions League money, that is only paid at the end of the season for your involvment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom