Split Air con

RJC

RJC

Don
A question from someone who knows no more than I have read in this thread!

I have been thinking about what set-up would work in our house - and for the bedrooms (well 2x bedrooms, 1x home office) where I would want the aircon, the external walls are difficult because of either being very visible from outside, or having built in stuff in the way.

Does such a product exist as an aircon system where the internal end is in the loft, with ducting to take the air into the rooms via the ceiling? I was thinking this would avoid having to have pumped condensate, as the piping would only have to go down from that main unit.

If such a thing does exist, does it limit the individual control between those three rooms? And is is significantly more expensive?

You have ceiling concealed units which as you mentioned can be ducted to the rooms, but you (sorry to state the obvious) need return air grills in the in the room.

You can have them for individual rooms and install would be more expensive.

https://www.saturnsales.co.uk/Slim-Duct-Range.html

Associate
If these are covered by the energy grant then I assume the quote I got for ac at 1500 would work out 500 cost to me 1k to government..right?, Obviously might have to factor in additional cost to get the right one to qualify

Soldato
So tempted I think from using a quick calculator I'd need a 2x 3kw for doing the living room and bedroom.

Anyone know a good installer Manchester area.

Soldato
If these are covered by the energy grant then I assume the quote I got for ac at 1500 would work out 500 cost to me 1k to government..right?, Obviously might have to factor in additional cost to get the right one to qualify

Upon a bit of further checking the energy grant may only cover heat pumps connected to the central heating system.

It's possible this is covered but the more I think about it, the more I think this may also not be the case.

Good news is that we've possibly more or less had the heat wave for this year now, so you've got time to get that figured out.

Associate
OP
Has anyone put a temp probe on the cold air outtake and checked the temperature?
Wondering what temp the cold air should be....

Mine has been really struggling today, and the cold air don't feel all that cold :( still pulling 800 Watts though.

RJC

RJC

Don
Has anyone put a temp probe on the cold air outtake and checked the temperature?
Wondering what temp the cold air should be....

Mine has been really struggling today, and the cold air don't feel all that cold :( still pulling 800 Watts though.

You should have approx 12c delta T across the coil.

Is it posiible to feel the suction line?

Soldato
I think YoungBlood only has the one unit in his hall way. I have 3 units and mine were not struggling as far as I can tell. I generally aim to keep the temps at 22-23c otherwise it feels chilly dare I say it :D

Associate
OP
Bit of both, but I have shielded it with a wheelie bin :p
It's fine 99% of the year, awesome in fact.

Cheap to run, just anything 30c+ outside, and it's at it's max for making the upstairs bearable.
Luckily that 30c is a rare occurrence.

Probably would have been best to leave it on low/silent throughout the day whilst out, so it doesn't have such a mountain of heat to overcome at the evening.

Soldato
Bit of both, but I have shielded it with a wheelie bin :p
It's fine 99% of the year, awesome in fact.

Cheap to run, just anything 30c+ outside, and it's at it's max for making the upstairs bearable.
Luckily that 30c is a rare occurrence.

Probably would have been best to leave it on low/silent throughout the day whilst out, so it doesn't have such a mountain of heat to overcome at the evening.

Day like today honestly I'd just whack it on on medium in the morning and leave it there all day, as you say no mountain of heat to overcome! :D

I think YoungBlood only has the one unit in his hall way. I have 3 units and mine were not struggling as far as I can tell. I generally aim to keep the temps at 22-23c otherwise it feels chilly dare I say it :D

Yep I actually feel the same, I don't need 20 degrees inside, just enough to take the edge off and not be too hot all the time!

RJC

RJC

Don
Doh - I was getting the two confused.
With the single unit it probably would struggle - what KW rating did you have?

What can help is isolating certain rooms, I.e cool the hallway for a while then open up one room at a time.

Back
Top Bottom