***SPOILERS*** Football 7 May - 10 May 2011

Associate
What do season ticket prices have to do with winning things? :confused:Considering they are charging high amounts to watch the football, you would expect them to care about not winning things, yet they stick with a manager that wont change his tactic even though the keep failing

"Club size" ... wait what? Really? Arsenal *are* a big club. Arsenal were in a Champions League final not *that* long ago, Stoke ever been there? They have fans ALL over the World? Thats my point a club the size of arsenal should be doing better than stoke

Arsenal don't need to spend 200m, Arsenal are known for the lack of money spent so they wouldn't spend that kind of money in one summer spree. They're already almost winning things *thinks back to League Cup final*Almost

Caporegime
Stoke have become a better side lately and do actually play some decent football occasionally. There aren't many sides that come up and quickly establish themselves in the league.

I hope they can finish the job against City as the extra money can only mean better players which means less of the ugly side of things. :p

Don
Good luck to Stoke in the Europa. Hope they make it into the group stage and get themselves a couple of decent away days, they might not get the chance again anytime soon.

It'll be great to see how European sides deal with their long throws.

Associate
With our crowd size and available budget we will never be able to compete on a level playing field with the bigger clubs, so what can we do?

Play to our strengths.
Take players that have lost their way and get them back playing as best as they can, pick up the odd rough stone and turn them into a diamond.

And if we manage to reach the FA cup final and get into Europe, we should bask in it as much and for as long as possible - who knows when/if it will happen again.

Caporegime
@ Stoke_m

So? Arsenal can charge whatever they want for Season tickets? They play attractive football at a very high level, are in the Champions League each season and have *recently* gotten in to the Leauge Cup final this season, not to mention previous years with other Champions League finals and such.

I said almost ;)

While I think it's great Stoke have gotten in the final and indeed the Europa League, Pulis deserves credit, I don't think Stoke v Arsenal is a good comparison. Arsenal are a very big club, play football (in many people's eyes) the right way and are very well ran off the pitch. They have a big International following. Stoke just aren't quite near that level yet.

Cardiff and Pompy got in to the Final a few years back as well, it's not a measure of how good a club is getting to a final, look at where they both are now :p

Also, I think that if Pulis gives the Europa league the correct attention they could do very well.

I'm supporting them in the FA Cup final anyway :p

Caporegime
I think you will find Stoke are evolving, give us £200M to spend on players and we would evolve a lot quicker.

I just hope we don't end up like Arsenal. A team who have a manager and boardroom that's happy with just qualifying for the champions league each year.

Who ever said we are happy with just finishing 4th every year? Look at the players and the fans, even Wenger's reaction when we lose out on a crucial game, or we get dumped out of a competition, none of us like it and none of us are just happy to be in Europe. We've competed year after year since our dry run. I think we've had one season where we didn't do too well at all, but pretty much every other year we've been in amongst the league contenders. Maybe if Stoke were battling for the league title as well as three other cup competitions you'd appreciate how difficult it is, and contrary to what you've implied, we don't have £200 million to throw around on players, Spurs have spent more than us in the past few seasons, and look where they are. One season of over-achievement and now they're back to 5th and maybe even 6th if they get a bad result in their next games.

Associate
That fact that many people now consider Tony Pulis the best manager Stoke have ever had, shows how far we have come.

It might sound arrogant of me to say but i don't care that people don't like our style of football, in fact i loved it.

Hopefully we can stay up long enough to ruffle the big boys feathers some more. :D

The first season up - the 4 points we cost Liverpool, cost them the tittle.
This year we draw with Chelsea hurting the final push for the title.
Long may it continue. :)

Associate
Who ever said we are happy with just finishing 4th every year? Look at the players and the fans, even Wenger's reaction when we lose out on a crucial game, or we get dumped out of a competition, none of us like it and none of us are just happy to be in Europe. We've competed year after year since our dry run. I think we've had one season where we didn't do too well at all, but pretty much every other year we've been in amongst the league contenders. Maybe if Stoke were battling for the league title as well as three other cup competitions you'd appreciate how difficult it is, and contrary to what you've implied, we don't have £200 million to throw around on players, Spurs have spent more than us in the past few seasons, and look where they are. One season of over-achievement and now they're back to 5th and maybe even 6th if they get a bad result in their next games.

If you or even the board where not happy with Champions league football, why is Wenger still in charge?
Why don't you have the money that other clubs spend?

Caporegime
I don't think you can claim Liverpool didn't win the title due to those 2 games, there were other games that they dropped points in that could have gotten them the title.

Same applies for Chelsea this season.

I'm pleased Stoke are doing well, as I said, they've started to play better football, doing well with the FA Cup and I hope they do well in Europa next season, might be a stretch too far for them though, depends how much attention it's given.

Caporegime
If you or even the board where not happy with Champions league football, why is Wenger still in charge?

'Cause Wenger gets them Champions League football each season? Finishes top 3/4 each season and recently has challenged for the league title. :confused:

He's taken them to a Champions League final but a few seasons ago?

'Cause other clubs spend beyond their means, Arsenal don't.

Not sure where you were going with that one.

Associate
I don't think you can claim Liverpool didn't win the title due to those 2 games, there were other games that they dropped points in that could have gotten them the title.true, but the fact remains if they had beaten us in them two matches they would have won the league.

Same applies for Chelsea this season.

I'm pleased Stoke are doing well, as I said, they've started to play better football, doing well with the FA Cup and I hope they do well in Europa next season, might be a stretch too far for them though, depends how much attention it's given.

Caporegime

We don't have the money other clubs have got because we've just built a £400 million stadium, we've done exceptionally well to have paid off a lot of it, but of course our activity in the transfer market has suffered over the past few years and given the players we had back then, and the players we have now who have either been purchased or brought through the ranks I think we've done very well to stay in the highest tier of European football while also being able to challenge for the title most years. Wenger is still a brilliant manager regardless of what a lot of people here think, some of his signings have been bloody excellent, sure the past year or two he's brought a few turkeys in, or put faith in players that others wouldn't have and sometimes it pays off, sometimes it doesn't. All managers make mistakes but people need to get a grip and realise the transitionary period that we've been going through.

Associate
'Cause Wenger gets them Champions League football each season? So they are happy just getting into the chapions league then?:confused:

He's taken them to a Champions League final but a few seasons ago?So they are happy just getting into the chapions league then?

'Cause other clubs spend beyond their means, Arsenal don't.Arsenal have some of the richest people in the country running them, maybe it's time the splashed the cash,

Back
Top Bottom