US: Star Trek: Discovery

Soldato
Ok, my take on this is that it is by a country mile the most modern, real-feeling Star Trek that has been created.

1) Cast, characters and acting are great. Sonequa Martin-Green is doing an excellent job as Burnham, and Jason Isaac is PERFECT as the Captain with a dark side.
2) Technology seems very well done and as I imagine it would be
3) It feels human, dark, gritty... we have swearing, sex, torture, a starship dance club. FInally Star Trek has lost its "perfect cardboard cut-out" characterization and in-your-face morality.
4) Storylines were interesting, only the ending of the episode "Magic to Make the Sanest Man Go Mad" annoyed me as I thought the bad guy (the awesome Rainn Wilson, Dwight from The Office, yay) was let off far too lightly for what he did.
5) The Klingons were well re-invented and now look less like humans with cornish pasties on their heads and more like the hideous and semi-monstrous warlike aliens I always imagined them to be.

I am really, really looking forward to Season 2 and it has breathed new life into what was a stale and often underwhelming IP. :)

I have to say I agree with the points you've made as on the whole I've enjoyed the show and I like the new look and feel to the production. However I would say with regards to "Magic to Make the Sanest Man Go Mad" ending it's not like Lorca is some moral angel and besides he know if he jumps to a starbase t hand over Mudd he risks loosing his starship/command so I'm willing to give them a bit of slack (for me it was one of the best episodes). The only direction choice I've disagreed with is the long talking scene's with the Klingons having them done in their native alien tongue meant the actors and actresses spent more time concentrating on correct pronunciation of the worsds which compromised delivery and I didn't really feel a lot them, it was only when Burnham turned on her translator in the last episode we finally got to understand what these guys were all about.

Caporegime
I have to say I agree with the points you've made as on the whole I've enjoyed the show and I like the new look and feel to the production. However I would say with regards to "Magic to Make the Sanest Man Go Mad" ending it's not like Lorca is some moral angel and besides he know if he jumps to a starbase t hand over Mudd he risks loosing his starship/command so I'm willing to give them a bit of slack (for me it was one of the best episodes). The only direction choice I've disagreed with is the long talking scene's with the Klingons having them done in their native alien tongue meant the actors and actresses spent more time concentrating on correct pronunciation of the worsds which compromised delivery and I didn't really feel a lot them, it was only when Burnham turned on her translator in the last episode we finally got to understand what these guys were all about.
Of course the captain is no moral angel, but Mudd killed the crew countless times in increasingly horrific and inventive ways. He would have happily handed Discovery and all the crew over to the Klingons and cost the Federation the war. It was murder and treason of the highest order and his ending was far too cuddly for my tastes. I was expecting something that ended suitably darker. :p

Soldato
Of course the captain is no moral angel, but Mudd killed the crew countless times in increasingly horrific and inventive ways. He would have happily handed Discovery and all the crew over to the Klingons and cost the Federation the war. It was murder and treason of the highest order and his ending was far too cuddly for my tastes. I was expecting something that ended suitably darker. :p

Fully agree with you. They are making a new grittier Star Trek, then they let this guy off to marry a rich guys daughter. And he still has the secrets to the spore drive. They should have blown him out the airlock, or at least wiped his memory or something.

Underboss
I think he was serious , last night's episode, I know they are acting, but if you don't see it that way, then how can Tilly change just like that, not in appearance but vocally, oh and I thought she looked quite pretty with her new hair style, suited her well

Kyo

Kyo

Soldato
Totally agree, for me its of the best ST series I watched in years. Love the more gritty dark brutally realistic take on it. I know some may think its not ST but it breathes new life into the formula without diversifying too much. Great show one of the better ones Imo.

Loved how they link the latest mirror universe with Archer's experience from Enterprise. Remember evil Hoshi.

Associate
Not sure if serious.
Serious. It was the straw that broke the camel's back.

I just wasn't enjoying it anymore. I'd watched most of the shows that originally drew me in like Breaking Bad, Battlestar Galactica etc, but I've increasingly found that Netflix is pushing it's own shows and it is thousands shows that I've enjoyed less and less.

Star Trek suffers from an identity crisis, I don't like any of the characters, the streaming quality has been poor and I'd been paying for 4k streaming but getting garbage in return.

For the moment I don't need any reason to renew my subscription.

Associate
Serious. It was the straw that broke the camel's back.

I just wasn't enjoying it anymore. I'd watched most of the shows that originally drew me in like Breaking Bad, Battlestar Galactica etc, but I've increasingly found that Netflix is pushing it's own shows and it is thousands shows that I've enjoyed less and less.

Star Trek suffers from an identity crisis, I don't like any of the characters, the streaming quality has been poor and I'd been paying for 4k streaming but getting garbage in return.

For the moment I don't need any reason to renew my subscription.

Netflix don't actually make it and it's not available in 4k anywhere.

Associate
Netflix don't actually make it and it's not available in 4k anywhere.
I'm aware of that but I've been paying for 4k and having very little content.

But I'm sure that doesn't bother you, I'm sure you're much more concerned with setting the record straight like every other poster on here.

Yawn!!

Caporegime

But I'm sure that doesn't bother you, I'm sure you're much more concerned with setting the record straight like every other poster on here.

Yawn!!
I think the point is that Star Trek Discovery is not a bad show because it isn't good quality 4k. If it bothers you, switch to the 1080p subscription instead. If you don't like Netflix, fine don't subscribe. However, objectively speaking, there is a ton of good content on there.

Associate

Yawn!!

Couldn't care less about your opinions of the show, just saying it's quality has nowt to do with Netflix.

Back
Top Bottom