Star Trek: Picard

Associate
No-one said it happens in real life, at least I have not experienced this phenomenon. It is within the "programmes" which are masquerading as Star Trek who's nauseating identity based politics and extreme left wing ideals make me tune out.

Star Trek is not about story telling any more, it's about "The Message". AK said this in an interview.

It isn't in reference to you, it was in reference to the guy after you who added that it was modern life full stop.

Though your reaction is very telling.

Soldato
No-one said it happens in real life, at least I have not experienced this phenomenon. It is within the "programmes" which are masquerading as Star Trek who's nauseating identity based politics and extreme left wing ideals make me tune out.

Star Trek is not about story telling any more, it's about "The Message". AK said this in an interview.

Very true. It's amazing how many people will defend wokism just becuase it's in their fav IP though.

Associate
Very true. It's amazing how many people will defend wokism just becuase it's in their fav IP though.

It amazing how many people get up set with "wokism" in star trek when you think of the times that start trek was made that it had so many people of different races and colours all on set and all being treated as equals, we all heard the story of MTK ringing Nichols up to thank her for play a strong equal black women on TV. and TNG was very PC for it day as well

Caporegime
It amazing how many people get up set with "wokism" in star trek when you think of the times that start trek was made that it had so many people of different races and colours all on set and all being treated as equals, we all heard the story of MTK ringing Nichols up to thank her for play a strong equal black women on TV. and TNG was very PC for it day as well

Yeah, Star Trek has always been pushing boundaries.

Don't people remember Riker getting together with a gender-less alien in TNG?

Edit - Not defending the new shows though, Discovery (S1-3) and Picard (S1) have all been rubbish. Just fed up of people moaning about "woke this, woke that"

Last edited:
Caporegime
I'll bite.

When I was 15/ 16 years old and I first saw riker and the androgynous alen i liked it as it was a cool story and not liked it because it was part of being a corperations way of attempting to earn more revenue from being woke and sticking it to the white man.
Sheer ******* huberous .....

New treks are pardoies of the past where issues where tackled.

Take the Orville. That is really mostly well written, covers issues and doesn't belittle to do it. It's actually great.

But yeah "everything is woke" is depressing and everyone talking about it is also depressing.

Last edited:

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Yeah, Star Trek has always been pushing boundaries.

Don't people remember Riker getting together with a gender-less alien in TNG?

Edit - Not defending the new shows though, Discovery (S1-3) and Picard (S1) have all been rubbish. Just fed up of people moaning about "woke this, woke that"
Thing is there is a right and wrong way of doing it. I never had an issue with TNG, loved it in fact and is probably my favourite all time to show. But the way they do it now is so cheesy etc. You might be fed up of people moaning woke this woke that, I on the other hand and fed up of it being pushed on us the way it is. If done with tact it would not be an issue imo :)

Soldato
Thing is there is a right and wrong way of doing it. I never had an issue with TNG, loved it in fact and is probably my favourite all time to show. But the way they do it now is so cheesy etc. You might be fed up of people moaning woke this woke that, I on the other hand and fed up of it being pushed on us the way it is. If done with tact it would not be an issue imo :)
I'll bite.

When I was 15/ 16 years old and I first saw riker and the androgynous alen i liked it as it was a cool story and not liked it because it was part of being a corperations way of attempting to earn more revenue from being woke and sticking it to the white man.
Sheer ******* huberous .....

New treks are pardoies of the past where issues where tackled.

Take the Orville. That is really mostly well written, covers issues and doesn't belittle to do it. It's actually great.

But yeah "everything is woke" is depressing and everyone talking about it is also depressing.

Woke to me is very much a 'gesture' issue, people that don't understand what what I mean by that are the ones that say 'Trek has always been woke', no, no it hasn't...
TOS, TNG, Voyager and DS9 always told stories in a way where they were telling a story, not making a point about someone being black, or gay, or a non-binary alien, it was about the story, not about making it about whatever their gender/race/sexual orientation is, that is what woke is to me, you arent telling a story, it isn't escapism, its about 'pleasing' a minority that want to force a social issue down your throat, and if you don't agree with them then you get 'cancelled', **** right off.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Woke to me is very much a 'gesture' issue, people that don't understand what what I mean by that are the ones that say 'Trek has always been woke', no, no it hasn't...
TOS, TNG, Voyager and DS9 always told stories in a way where they were telling a story, not making a point about someone being black, or gay, or a non-binary alien, it was about the story, not about making it about whatever their gender/race/sexual orientation is, that is what woke is to me, you arent telling a story, it isn't escapism, its about 'pleasing' a minority that want to force a social issue down your throat, and if you don't agree with them then you get 'cancelled', **** right off.
Yep. That’s exactly what I want to see again. Story first! Hate all this MUST tick every check box crap as it just ruins it in most cases.

Soldato
Yep. That’s exactly what I want to see again. Story first! Hate all this MUST tick every check box crap as it just ruins it in most cases.
I hear you but the reason for this woke movement is because the society as a whole was very racist and anti gay etc etc.

By promoting more gay rights, black people etc etc in tv shows/movies, it helps shape the years to come where 20 or 30 years from now we could see less and less racist/prejudice people in our world.

That’s the hope anyway and who cares what colour of the skin or what gender if any a lead character is?

Soldato
I hear you but the reason for this woke movement is because the society as a whole was very racist and anti gay etc etc.

By promoting more gay rights, black people etc etc in tv shows/movies, it helps shape the years to come where 20 or 30 years from now we could see less and less racist/prejudice people in our world.

That’s the hope anyway and who cares what colour of the skin or what gender if any a lead character is?

I understand why its being done, but its being done in the wrong way IMHO, in a way that creates more of a divide than it does to solve the issues, you also have the problem where you get a lot of 'followers' these days, those that don't have an opinion or values of their own and go along with it because its the 'thing' to do corporate box-ticking and the likes, going out of their way to make sure they have 50/50 male/female employees and so on, where does it stop?

TNA

TNA

Caporegime

I don’t care what colour of the skin or what gender the lead character is as long as it fits with the story. Look at DS9, we had a black captain and he was awesome. DS9 is my second favourite Star Trek after TNG.

I am all for less racist/prejudice people, but it seems to me that this could be accomplished much better than it is now.

Soldato
I don’t care what colour of the skin or what gender the lead character is as long as it fits with the story. Look at DS9, we had a black captain and he was awesome. DS9 is my second favourite Star Trek after TNG.

I am all for less racist/prejudice people, but it seems to me that this could be accomplished much better than it is now.
How could we accompish this better though?

ANyways that is why Star Trek was one of the first ones that diddnt give a damm about skin colour or sex.

THey did whatever they wanted and showed huge diversity unlike 9/10 tv shows back then.

Another thing to note is actors playing james bond. WHy has there never been a black actor playing that role?

There has been countless amazing bacl actors throughout the years that could have played that role.

Case in point denzel washington at his prime. He would have made a great Bond!!!

That is a perfect example of the big wigs not even entertaining the idea of a black person playing james bond.

There has been some questionable actors who played that role imo.

I think now they are considering it? Idris elba could be he next one but for me personally no because he is quite old now unless they are going in a different direction of a aged james bond?

Don
Soldato
This is where Gene Rodenberry stands out, he brought these topics to the viewer in a science fiction format when there had been fewer or no examples preceding him. He didn't treat it as a zero sum game that for one thing to be raised another must be denigrated. But modern writers, directors and producers do see it as a zero sum game and "we're doing this to balance some perceived wrong". They routinely annoy their core audience they are overcome with their righteousness and fail to recognise they are fighting battles largely won decades earlier by people like Rodenberry. They're standing like victorious warriors on the rotting corpse better people slayed long before them and they do it with no subtlety they demand you notice and pat them on the back.

Caporegime
The difference being that Bond's appearance was fairly well defined in the books
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Bond_(literary_character)#Appearance

Why does that matter though? He's supposed to be "slim build with black hair" and has been been played by a muscular blonde guy for 15 years

I'm sure Hamlet wasn't supposed to be black, but that ended in 2018 at the RSC

I agree Bond shouldn't be a woman, because somebody should be out there writing cool roles for women in their own series but to me it doesn't matter what his racial background is, as long as he's British (the character, not the actor)

Back
Top Bottom