Star Trek: Picard

Soldato
Really enjoyed it.

It's nice to be able to watch some sci-fi without having to ignore the Z-grade acting (look at you, The Expanse).

Now Discovery was kinda enjoyable in a brain off, popcorn flick kinda way....but this really exemplifies the gulf in quality between Amazon and Netflix.

Soldato
Really enjoyed it.

It's nice to be able to watch some sci-fi without having to ignore the Z-grade acting (look at you, The Expanse).

Now Discovery was kinda enjoyable in a brain off, popcorn flick kinda way....but this really exemplifies the gulf in quality between Amazon and Netflix.
Neither of those services actually created or produced the shows. They just won the right to show them.

Both shows were made by CBS in America. Although with different production teams.

Soldato
Neither of those services actually created or produced the shows. They just won the right to show them.

Both shows were made by CBS in America. Although with different production teams.

Whether they are producing, or buying the shows, Amazon's output is markedly better quality than the dross that Netflix are shovelling out these days.

Soldato
Whether they are producing, or buying the shows, Amazon's output is markedly better quality than the dross that Netflix are shovelling out these days.

On that I absolutely agree. Netflix is the McDonalds of the streaming world, Amazon are a lot more decisive on what they produce/screen.

Associate
...Only thing I dont like so far is that Picard seems a little too doddering to me, doesnt seem to have any of the command or aura or presence that he had in Next Gen, however I am attributing that to him having been retired for so many years and has lost some of that bridge commander aspects of his personality, I'm guessing that as the plot unfolds and the season moves on, more and more of his Starfleet Captain gravitas will return to his character.

Will be interesting to see him re-emerge. Although easier to convey that sense of authority when you're the Captain of an incredibly powerful starship.

Soldato
OP
Rumours are that more TNG cast will slowly be written into the later seasons.

I know one has already been confirmed for season 2, but my guess is that Beverly crusher will come after that.

Associate
Rumours are that more TNG cast will slowly be written into the later seasons.

I know one has already been confirmed for season 2, but my guess is that Beverly crusher will come after that.

while some TNG are coming in later on, not all TNG will be in this season. so far two of them are confirmed not to be in this season those being La Var burton and Michael dorn, they might talk about the characters, for example Geordi was overseeing the construction of Picard rescue Fleet but the actual actor themselves won't be seen in season 1. so far the only confirmed star trek actors that are in season 1 with the exception of Picard are data, troi, riker, seven of Nine, Hugh. there was talk of the doctor possible making an appearance later in the season but this was just rumor nothing has been confirmed yet. as we all know picard was renewed second season, that second season will have a total 10 episode again.

Last edited:
Associate
With Patricks age I can't see this show going more than 2-3 seasons? Thankfully they no longer have 24 episode seasons which is insane when you think about it. No wonder the story quality used to vary so drastically. Todays audiences would pulverise a show that dipped like some of the poorer trek efforts.

Caporegime
With Patricks age I can't see this show going more than 2-3 seasons? Thankfully they no longer have 24 episode seasons which is insane when you think about it. No wonder the story quality used to vary so drastically. Todays audiences would pulverise a show that dipped like some of the poorer trek efforts.

Today's audiences would have binned it off like a bad smell after season 1.

Luckily back then, sci-fi was thin on the ground so it had 2 years to find it's feet.

Associate
i wish we had paramount still making trek then wed have 24ep seasons again and one off episodes per week. The sale to cbs was the worst thing to happen to trek.

even if paramount was doing it you wouldn't get 22-26 episode season of picard for simple fact that a 22-26 episode season you doing upward of 18+ hours a day for 6-7 days a week for 5-8+ months of the year. I don't think he would want to do that sort or work load again.

Soldato
It was exactly what I thought it would be, predictable, lazy, full of holes, things just happen conveniently without explanation, Rey clone female lead. Driven by agenda, not story telling.

Will watch some more though, might get interesting later. Pretty much have to accept that everything you might want to watch has to have indentity politics in it, there's no escape. On the plus side, I hardly pay anything for TV any more.

Last edited:
Associate
In summary

1. Girl Power 2. Orange Man Bad 3. Trans Rights 4. Refugees Welcome 5. America/Western Europe is Evil.

Sounds like traditional Star Trek... :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Commissario
i wish we had paramount still making trek then wed have 24ep seasons again and one off episodes per week. The sale to cbs was the worst thing to happen to trek.
People wanting 20+ episodes a year of an hour long sci fi series would probably be complaining a lot about the number of those episodes that would be below par, feature mainly secondary characters and be mainly set in one or two locations or possibly the dodgy "arid planet with a red sun" or the "forest planet with the blue tinged conifers" ;)

As has been said one of the reasons you're not seeing as many 20+ episode series these days is that to do so usually requires multiple complete production crews, large casts and people to be routinely working 12-18 hours a day for months, with things like props and sets suffering from the fact that if you've only got a few days to build and prep them you tend not to be able to do a job that stands up to modern expectations*.

American TV primarily used to do 20+ episode runs as it made it easier to sell advertising and fill a schedule for ~6 months, it was almost always at the expense of the cast/crew and a big reason why many actors would want to leave after a while as you can only do it so long without serious health issues (mental/physical), or family issues (people wanting to spend at least a couple of hours a day with their kids).
Fortunately they've realised they can tell a story with ~12 episodes, maintain a higher quality (even just allowing more time for post production), and keep a wider range of cast and crew for longer because it's something that allows for them to have some life off set, or do other things to avoid burning out.

Also didn't Paramount practically kill off Trek with their nonsense through Voyager and Enterprise...;)

*Most TV props until the advent of HD have a tendency to look fairly poor in person, despite the miracles that the SFX and props people would perform often in extremely limited time frames, behind the scenes books are often fun for learning about that sort of thing, I've got one that describes how for one sci fi show they needed more of the guns for a scene and basically had a lunch break to get several done as they discovered they were missing a couple and IIRC some others were too damaged to show at close range (but had been ok for background shots so hadn't been fixed as they were low priority).

Raz

Raz

Soldato
In summary

1. Girl Power 2. Orange Man Bad 3. Trans Rights 4. Refugees Welcome 5. America/Western Europe is Evil.

Well it has to reflect some of what the current issues are right?

I imagine that some posters here would have passed out with anger at seeing a Russian as a member of the bridge crew (cold war politics, who cares right?) as well having a white captain kiss a black crew member - the first interracial kiss on TV (civil rights movement, why did they need to push that agenda huh.)

TNG? A crew member from a race that's been an enemy for a long time? No agenda there. Data, truly intelligent AI that wants to be a white male even though there's huge diversity in front of him? And so on...;)

I guess they should've have just cancelled star trek completely then we wouldn't have this nonsense now.

Last edited:

JRS

JRS

Soldato
*Most TV props until the advent of HD have a tendency to look fairly poor in person, despite the miracles that the SFX and props people would perform often in extremely limited time frames, behind the scenes books are often fun for learning about that sort of thing, I've got one that describes how for one sci fi show they needed more of the guns for a scene and basically had a lunch break to get several done as they discovered they were missing a couple and IIRC some others were too damaged to show at close range (but had been ok for background shots so hadn't been fixed as they were low priority).

Yep. I love DS9 dearly, but you look at some of the props used in that show on a modern (read: large, hi-res) TV and you quickly see that they spent about $1.72 on each of those phasers :p

Associate
It was exactly what I thought it would be, predictable, lazy, full of holes, things just happen conveniently without explanation, Rey clone female lead. Driven by agenda, not story telling.

Will watch some more though, might get interesting later. Pretty much have to accept that everything you might want to watch has to have indentity politics in it, there's no escape. On the plus side, I hardly pay anything for TV any more.
In summary

You guys sure you ever watched Star Trek?!

Back
Top Bottom