Star Trek: Picard

Soldato
The difference between this and Discovery is that Picard as a character, and Patrick Stewart as an actor, can carry a series. Plus we're going forwards, not yet-another-prequel.

Associate
DS9 was often quite slow.
the reason why most didn't get into DS9 at first, was that it's a space station and doesn't go anywhere and they also change the formula of it. tng fomula was that every episode was a different story each week with odd multi episode story line that span few episode, where ds9 was one of the first show where they did story arc where whole season or season's were for single story. Babylon 5 was the same were whole seasons were one story with odd episode which was standalone. now a days most TV series are story arc driven.

Associate
the reason why most didn't get into DS9 at first, was that it's a space station and doesn't go anywhere and they also change the formula of it. tng fomula was that every episode was a different story each week with odd multi episode story line that span few episode, where ds9 was one of the first show where they did story arc where whole season or season's were for single story. Babylon 5 was the same were whole seasons were one story with odd episode which was standalone. now a days most TV series are story arc driven.

This is one of the reasons I didn't like DS9. Sure, it had the arcs, development on a personal level for everyone, etc. But it's also one of those "miss it" and the rest doesn't necessarily make sense and you're forced to backtrack and locate whatever episode it was that you misssed out on. It's easier these days to catch up, but back when DS9 first came out (early and mid 90's), it wasn't as good because it departed the TOS, TNG (and to a lesser extend, Voy and Ent) formula of being able to just watch and not miss out on anything important. If it was something important, you knew it was in the last episode or two. And there wasn't as many repeats back on back then either. So that's why myself and many others (who couldn't always catch evrything) never felt drawn to DS9 compared to the others.

Each has their own benefits and drawbacks, but I've always felt that the TOS/TNG approach was best. Keep the arcs small and short so anyone can catch up quickly and easily. Not needing to re-watch an entire season or another series entirely to be up to speed.

Caporegime
DS9 had decent action sequences for the Dominion war, which ended up being recycled over and over. It's also one of the trek shows that seemed to set the precedent of Shields basically not existing in battle sequences unless you were on the Defiant.

Man of Honour
DS9 had decent action sequences for the Dominion war, which ended up being recycled over and over. It's also one of the trek shows that seemed to set the precedent of Shields basically not existing in battle sequences unless you were on the Defiant.

Haha, that is exactly what I remember too. One phaser hit, cardassian ship goes boom.

Caporegime
Haha, that is exactly what I remember too. One phaser hit, cardassian ship goes boom.

Made for good action scenes but looked really dumb, ships flying into the battle and in 1 hit they were destroyed. Way of the Warrior was littered with 1 hit explosions. Probably down to the vfx at the time.

Caporegime
So, to everyone who was defending the mostly-unmitigated disaster that was the first two seasons of STD as if their lives depended on it...THIS IS HOW YOU DO TREK IN THE MODERN AGE :D

Maybe wait until the show comes out before deciding it's great?

Trailer is promising but the show could still be a pile of crap. Alex Kurtzman doesn't have a particularly great track record.

Caporegime
4 times. Twice in 'Datalore' (that episode) and two seperate episodes in season 2 where the same scene is used twice because of the writers strike at the time lol ('Shades of grey' the season finale, terrible episode)

Woah, impressive knowledge. Some of my favourites are in season 2 as I always liked Doctor Pulaski. But anyway, that's me going OT. :p

Man of Honour
TNG is the best by miles. I tried to get into DS9 but it’s just a bit boring and way too much ferengi.

Voyager in second place for me. Fun and memorable characters.

Gave up discovery - can’t remember specifically why, just found it irritating.

Looking forward to more Picard!

Soldato
OP
I really enjoyed DS9 once it got into season 3 with the dominion war. ok, not your typical star trek type show, but it was enjoyable.

The bajoran emissary thing was a bit daft, but the war with pretty much the entire alpha quadrant was great.

Back
Top Bottom