Star Trek: Picard

Man of Honour
Well that was a peculiar end. Randomly amass fleets of hundreds in little time (all but a couple seemed to be identical), riker itching for an all out war, Picards sudden illness, but it’s ok, we’ve engineered exactly the same lifespan. Not very Star Trek, but it entertaining in some way at least.

Riker is the stand out for me, he’s the perfect fit.

Soldato
Just finished this tonight and my overall impression is "meh" All it had going for it was the nostalgia of seeing some old faces again.

The spoiler is my take on the final episode and how I think it should have ended.

They should have let Picard die. The scene where he says goodbye was emotional, I felt a little teary eyed myself!! But then they ruin the best scene in the whole series by bringing him back to life in the golem.

What I actually thought was going to happen was the after the federation ships arrived. That the portal was going to open and the synthetics ships were going to invade our Universe. Picard in a last desperate bid to save everyone would send the ship he was in on a collision course with the Portal. Sacrificing himself and the doctor and closing the portal but not before some super powerful synth ships got through. His Sacrifice would band all three groups together, the Romulans, The Federation and the Synths on the planet in a common cause, to defeat the intruders.

Of course the battle in space looks like a lost cause, with heavy losses on Romulan and Federation sides. But, down on the planet, the Synths, with 7 of 9's help, manage to get the Borg cube up and running. And with that they manage to turn the tide of the battle in space. And the Federation, Romulans and Synths all leave in peace and harmony for ever after and the day is forever remembered as Picard's day. Etc. etc..

I think that would have been a better ending myself. AS an aside, I thought the scene with all the ships jumping in was so poorly done. Every ship looked exactly alike!!

I really hope there isn't a season 2.

Last edited:
Soldato
Finished this last night, I really enjoyed the series.

I'm looking forward to season 2, I'd of liked to see xb explored abit more.

I'm also wondering how it will play out if Picard revels to all what he now is.

Caporegime
The more I think about the Borg cube the more it becomes farcical. A city sized ship that could wallop anything taken out by a flower, never used in any battles and despite its enormous size - the plot always bumped into each other/moved along in the 2 meeting rooms next to each other :p.

Associate
All we got was a half assed copy\paste of the same ship over and over. Since when has the federation ever had that many identical ships deployed at once? It's usually a smattering of different designs. i think everyone was expecting the Enterprise to show up as well, but nope.

Another member thoughtfully posted about modern HDTV & 4K and how they cannot get away with makeshift model designs anymore. They re-used models over and over again...ships and starbases alike.

But I had another thought or explanation as to why the sheer number of identical star-ships (to cover up the lack of money/time/imagination)

After the huge losses to the Borg (Nemesis 2373) and the Dominion (DS9 2371-2375) Starfleet had lost a large portion of the fleet and possibly quite a lot of older star-ships.

In Picard (2399) they had just over a decade to build new star-ships, before the attack and destruction of the Utopia Planitia shipyards (2385) which then stopped all production.

Its also possible that Starfleet built and used the same lineage of star-ship to make up the numbers very quickly at an alternative Federation planetary site (so about 14 years between the shipyard attack and the events in Picard). Other star-ships designs meanwhile may have been retired due to their age (Enterprise E Sovereign class would already be over 25 years old).

Alternatively given the copy and paste approach to the fleet (headed by Riker) perhaps the Federation has replicator technology which is so enormous and sophisticated that it can replicate an entire starship...:p:D

Soldato
As much as I'd rather see a smaller fleet of different designs, the idea that they stick with 1 or 2 designs, meaning they can easily mass build them makes sense. Better to get 100 of the single design manufactured that have teams working in 10+ different ship designs. Think of it like a car production line.

Caporegime
with star trek tech wouldnt they basically just print a ship
if anything was slowing them down i doubt it would be ship designs, it would be lack of warp cores or some crap

Soldato
Well I've not read any reviews or feedback, I rarely do these days actually but have say that despite its obvious faults I enjoyed this from start to finish and am looking forward to Season 2.

Back
Top Bottom