Star Trek: Picard

Soldato
Keeping it the same would be silly. Changing it to the degree they did, ignoring any *possible* contractual issues, was a bit much. Neither the original ship nor what we got was ideal, but yeah. People will still act like they 'told us so'.

Soldato
Yea i loved the next generation.

absolutely brilliant and thats why i loved this one too as it had some of the characters and continued the story after really after the last movie.

THIS SHOW was brilliant because the actual quality of story telling and special effects was movie-like and i did have a tear or two during watching it!

I got goosebumps too while watching it! thats how much i loved this star trek

fantastic it was.

I am one of the rare breed of humans that actually likes star trek ahead of of star wars

Same here I really enjoyed it too best Trek I've seen in a long time, not that thats saying much. Enjoyed the fact that the storytelling was far more important that say, its obviously lower SFX budget, you can sense the studios being rather uncertain about whether to finance this one. Questions about whats more important to face your fears and overcome prejudice as opposed to trying to giving in to it and trying to crush the cause of it, what does it mean to have the gift of life and when its time to let it go, all the philosophical questions that raised TNG out of the mere banality of run of the mill glitzy but vacuous SF shows, was more important than the wobbly characterisation (Jeri Ryan was... who exacty? 7of9 in name only I think)

It is funny to read the various reviews and varying degrees of hate though, if all the energy expended on bile in Amazon reviews could be harnessed you could probably power the national grid for a few days.

Associate
Probably getting what started as good ideas henpecked to death by editoral notes, even some of my favourite writers have written some absolute cack once the instructions started coming down from above on them.

Soldato
My take on the show was that it wasn't bad by any stretch of the imagination, but it was just very dull until the last 2 episodes. Overall the series really felt like the TNG timeline taking a victory lap, kinda like a curtain bow from the cast saying thank you for watching TNG/Voyer/DS9

And if you take it like that then it was a nice nostalgia trip to wrap up the characters.

Soldato
Good vid. Funny and informative!

It's a shame, but I'm not sure something like TNG could be made today.

Too much money in making hot garbage, and too much effort to make something intelligent. Plus not sure where the decent writers are at. Hiding?
To much TV is probably the answer to te writers thing there is a ludicrous amount of I being made these days so the taker is spread pretty thin.

I enjoyed Picard it was decent although obviously flawed.

Soldato
I only managed to watch the first 2 episodes before I decided to end my time with it.

It was very disappointing. I guess its my own fault for ignoring some woke comments by Patrick Stewart about the show before it aired.

The overall disappointment was I found it to be juvenile.

There is a pretty obvious drop off of quality the further away we've come from the original creator. It seems these days writers are unable to write small talk, or write in silence in scripts. Now they have to be filled with swear words or a meaningless cheap or sly dig at someone. This isn't just an issue with ST writers but generally. The general standard of writing as gone down in my opinion.

Soldato
Frankly, if you only watched two episodes then your opinion on the quality of the series can be filed under 'not worth bothering with' :)

While I agree that maybe I should have given it more episodes to get in to it, I've watched TOS, TNG, DS9 and Voyager. So I've enjoyed the foundation of Star Trek. I liked the early TOS films and the TNG films.

But I didn't like Enterprise, Discovery or any of the recent films, I guess I saw this series going down the same path, especially with the swearing.

If you are a trekkie how can you be happy with swearing? For me that was the biggest issue that took me out of the fiction.

JRS

JRS

Soldato
If you are a trekkie how can you be happy with swearing? For me that was the biggest issue that took me out of the fiction.

The gratuitous nature of the swearing irritates me, certainly. As I've pointed out before in this thread:

And speaking of things that lack subtlety, we again have utterly gratuitous f-bombs dropped by characters. I don't have a problem with swearing at all (I live in Burton, it's basically just used as punctuation around here), but it really ought to make some level of sense. As it stands, it's happening just regularly enough to not have any shock value and irregularly enough to simply feel a bit weird when it happens.

Does it fundamentally alter my perception of the show? Nope. Same as with the objections people have had regarding characters on the show smoking - the practice has been going on for hundreds of years, why wouldn't it go on another few hundred?

Soldato
Let's be fair, it's not like picard improved past the first two episodes. It only got worse :p

Star Trek used to be a bit of an escapism for a lot of fans, something to look up to. you know, a vision of a better future etc. Picard, and Discovery too, just undoes soo much of that. I think they want to make the characters more 'relatable' but really ended up just making them more boring. IMO, anyway.

Caporegime
Neither new shows are perfect but they are enjoyable and it's just good having some form of Trek back on tv.
Indeed.

if no one watches, then they likely won’t make any more Trek at all. And that could also have a knock-on effect on all Sci-Fi on TV as well. And I don’t want that.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
The dress up episode in particular made him look like a mad old man, hard to believe this is the same character from tng.
Yeah. Was kind of sad to see.

We will soon start watching TNG again. I will not be linking that Picard with this one. As I said before, the one here is from a different timeline/universe as far as I am concerned.

Back
Top Bottom