Star Trek: Picard

Soldato
Yeah, but if they did that kind of thing now reviewers would be up in arms.

"It spoils the pacing, get back to the main story!"
"It's just pandering to fans of the old show!"
"Where's the action?"
"I don't get it because [reasons]."

:rolleyes:;)

Did fans do that when Bones appeared in TNG, then? what about when Scotty appeared? Spock? Picard had zero pacing, I doubt many people would have complained about some (decent) fan service.

JRS

JRS

Soldato
Did fans do that when Bones appeared in TNG, then? what about when Scotty appeared? Spock? Picard had zero pacing, I doubt many people would have complained about some (decent) fan service.

Well no, because fans were too busy calling the show everything from a pig to a dog for not being Kirk, Spock and McCoy...

Gotta wonder though about the relevance of fan reaction when I was talking about reviewers, but hey ho ;)

JRS

JRS

Soldato
Thought this was amusing when it popped up on my feed - Naval Academy professor makes the case for the lack of starship diversity in the Coppelius fleet.

IMO it's a really well thought-out piece. And Commander Berube clearly knows his Trek:

TrekMovie.com said:
Berube concluded his talk by arguing that even with naval strategy, it still all comes down to the people:

'With all the technology, with all the ships, with all the weapons, and with all the artificial intelligence that is so attractive to some, it came down to the best of human traits. It came down to Picard and communication, the ability to rise above past mistakes, understanding one another, trust, hope, belief, forgiveness, and the ability to choose what is right, to de-escalate crises.

As Picard says at the end: “That’s why we’re here – to save each other.”

And that’s what science fiction teaches us whether in 2399 or 2020.'

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Thought this was amusing when it popped up on my feed - Naval Academy professor makes the case for the lack of starship diversity in the Coppelius fleet.

IMO it's a really well thought-out piece. And Commander Berube clearly knows his Trek:
That sounds good and all that. But let’s be honest, the reason for the lack of diversity of starships in that scene was likely budget. Also if we are to be honest with ourselves, I really cannot see us getting to a point where we can achieve things like warp drive, transports, food replicators etc, yet have humans making the commands to fire or use this strategy or that strategy.

By the time you even think of those things as a human, the ai like in chess will have worked at what is best for any given moment and fired. I mean just think how long it takes for say Picard to think and then verbally give the order, for that then to heard and manually executed using our fingers into the computer. But let’s say for some reason there was no ai that could match humans for some reason, we would still likely have better human to computer interface by then.

End of the day TNG was about entertainment and it really did that well. I do wish the Star Trek Universe was more consistent, but it is what it is. Let’s just hope the new show runner sorts things out for season 2. Will be interesting to see what the Picard Android will be like.

JRS

JRS

Soldato
That sounds good and all that. But let’s be honest, the reason for the lack of diversity of starships in that scene was likely budget.

Well...yeah. Everything is down to budget.

Can't show zero gravity due to budget - "they have artificial gravity"
Can't show shuttlecraft landing on planets week-in, week-out due to budget - "they have a transporter"
Can't have a complicated scanner prop due to budget - "this one looks simple because it's actually incredibly advanced"

Explaining the gaps left by the budget is part of what makes Trek fandom fun for a lot of us :) And most of the time, the universe hangs together well enough that plausible explanations for stuff can be made.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Can't show zero gravity due to budget - "they have artificial gravity"
Can't show shuttlecraft landing on planets week-in, week-out due to budget - "they have a transporter"
Can't have a complicated scanner prop due to budget - "this one looks simple because it's actually incredibly advanced"
Those are actually awesome tech ideas they came up with as a result :D

@something daft already!! - Yea probably. Hope not though.

JRS

JRS

Soldato

Bill doing restrained Kirk is a marvellous thing. I like expressive overacting Kirk as well, but lots of "Wrath of Khan" has him subdued and brooding and is all the better for it.

***edit***

Im not sure what's worse. There are four lights or I'm captain kirk....

Not gonna let that one slide. "Chain of Command" is a wonderful TNG two-parter, with incredible performances from both the regular cast and the guests (David Warner, Ronny Cox). Anyone poking fun at the "there are four lights!" scene is a) missing the point of the episode and b) wouldn't know good television if it jumped out of the screen and bit them square on the nose :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom