Star Trek: Picard

JRS

JRS

Soldato
You know I might rewatch the original series and then the movies

Watch TOS as the remastered version if you're going to be taken out of it all by the original effects (some of which are shonky, I'll grant you). And BluRay versions for the films, except the Motion Picture - watch TMP as the DVD Directors Cut because that has the better cut, effects and sound mix. The theatrical version isn't called the Slow-Motion Picture for nothing!

Soldato
Not gonna let that one slide. "Chain of Command" is a wonderful TNG two-parter, with incredible performances from both the regular cast and the guests (David Warner, Ronny Cox). Anyone poking fun at the "there are four lights!" scene is a) missing the point of the episode and b) wouldn't know good television if it jumped out of the screen and bit them square on the nose :)

lol, right. It's terrible acting whether you like the episode or not. What's the difference between that and Stewart's terrible French 'disguise' in STP? Answer: Chain of command was actually a great episode of star trek ....

I think, comparatively, Stewart's 'the line must be drawn here' scene in First Contact was (although still a little hammy) much more believable. For me, anyway. Overly crap acting can kill a scene for me. YMMV ....

Last edited:
Soldato
lol, and you think because somebody doesnt like the acting in one scene that somehow they must not understand the episode and doesn't know good TV...... Sorry if i don't take anything you say as gospel JRS, i learned not to do that years ago ;)

Caporegime
Never really rated Avery Brooks as a good actor in DS9, he always had that annoying speech pattern where he would go into little loud and quiet bursts of speech when he was doing one of his little speeches.

JRS

JRS

Soldato
lol, and you think because somebody doesnt like the acting in one scene that somehow they must not understand the episode and doesn't know good TV...... Sorry if i don't take anything you say as gospel JRS, i learned not to do that years ago ;)

Please feel free to stick me on your ignore list if you find me that objectionable :)

Never really rated Avery Brooks as a good actor in DS9, he always had that annoying speech pattern where he would go into little loud and quiet bursts of speech when he was doing one of his little speeches.

That speech pattern is very theatrical, and some of the time in DS9 it made a lot of sense for Sisko to sound like that. Best example I can think of right now is in the "Homefront"/"Paradise Lost" two-parter where he briefly tears into Nog to get him to give up the name of a Red Squad cadet - the way he did it gave the speech a good dose of menace. Didn't always work, I'll grant you - it bothers me a lot in his final showdown with Dukat in the last episode ("What You Leave Behind"), which is pretty unfortunate when the entire series hangs on that confrontation!

Soldato
I really don't know why you brought up that post. It was you doing the 'grousing' and that's exactly why i said what i said back in March...in a different thread...on a different subject. What is your reason for bringing that up again? I'm totally serious about what i said - there is nobody more negative than you when it comes to star trek in these threads. And back in March, when you tried to insinuate that i was just as negative about Doctor Who, i completely destroyed that argument. So again, why bring that up? Why post an example of you grousing, and claim it wasn't you grousing? Very strange.

So yes, well done on that eggface, i guess. What will you bring up next? you moaning about the new enterprise in your Star Trek :XI thread from 2008? because that would prove your point just as badly.

Last edited:

JRS

JRS

Soldato
@james.miller - y'see, now I'm kinda fascinated by how weirdly hard you appeared to take that poke in the Doctor Who thread. Makes me wonder what previous interaction we had that caused this. If I really did insult you sometime in the past I can only apologise :o

Soldato
Anyone watch the comic con panel?
I feel Star trek is dead. They are not correcting course at all but instead doubling down on their own political beliefs.

They basically confirmed that the shows will be used as a platform and should be used as a platform.

JRS

JRS

Soldato
Anyone watch the comic con panel?
I feel Star trek is dead. They are not correcting course at all but instead doubling down on their own political beliefs.

They basically confirmed that the shows will be used as a platform and should be used as a platform.

It has always been a platform. Right from the days of TOS and Gene using fistfights, rayguns and incredibly short skirts to disguise the liberal humanist thoughts he was getting onto TV screens - anti-war messages ("A Taste of Armageddon"), anti-racism messages ("Let That Be Your Last Battlefield"), musings on the replacement of man by machines ("The Ultimate Computer"), finding common ground with an enemy ("Day of the Dove"), anti-slavery messages ("The Gamesters of Triskelion")...

Which message in STP is it that you object to?

Soldato
It has always been a platform. Right from the days of TOS and Gene using fistfights, rayguns and incredibly short skirts to disguise the liberal humanist thoughts he was getting onto TV screens - anti-war messages ("A Taste of Armageddon"), anti-racism messages ("Let That Be Your Last Battlefield"), musings on the replacement of man by machines ("The Ultimate Computer"), finding common ground with an enemy ("Day of the Dove"), anti-slavery messages ("The Gamesters of Triskelion")...

That is true but they seem to do it a whole lot better with a view from both sides.

Maybe it is just the writing.

Just shows like glow and doom patrol can do it a whole lot better which both I love.

Soldato

I absolutely agree they were defintiely platforms but I don't remember watching them as a kid in the 80's and thinking someone was trying to pour their political beliefs down my throat. Also they were presented as a reflection of politics in often good sci-fi form. Modern Trek TV seems a lot more judgemental with it's politics in that regard. It doesn't show that we have move beyond these things and the future is better, apparently we're still struggling with early 21st problems and hiding how horrible we are.

Back
Top Bottom