Star Trek: Picard

Caporegime
I bailed during s1 as it was crap, didn't bother with s2 after reading the reviews. Can this season be watched as a standalone and forget the previous two exist?
Same for me really, though I did stick with season 1 to the end.

This can be watched without any of that really and this is so much better

Soldato
Remember guys, most shows like trek dont usually find their feet till s3.

Shame they couldnt have thought up s3 as s1 like first but, they testing new ways to tell trek which obviously failing and i think theres a poll saying most are glad disc is cancelling at s5 lol so its showing what us that enjoyed the past want the past, just some new stories but told the same way, the fed way.

Associate
This isn't finding feet, apart from some off hand stuff and Raffi, they've effectively binned the past two seasons.

Picard effectively finished with season 2.

This is something different, what it should have always been, the old crew catching up, having one last adventure.

Soldato
Great episode!

Really enjoyed that and an extra point for no Raffi.

So much going on, inside the ship, outside the ship etc.

My thought too about Jack, he's a changeling, or certainly connected to them in some way.

Oh and Beverly is getting hotter by the episode.

Last edited:
Associate
Given that their visions is paired up with a female voice twice over now. And that there was in this episode the revelation that Jack sought out Picard before and felt rejected that there was no family for them "As Starfleet was all the family Picard needed", I imagine that during Jack's travels, he took or bonded with something (willingly or unwillingly, knowingly or unknowingly) when they felt lonely or whilst seeking out belonging during their travels with Beverly (or during a mercy mission). Possibly Changeling related, as it looks like it can interact with their mind and looks like blood veins in their eyes (last time nudging them towards what to look for for the sabotuer, and this time trying to affect their mind through visions). So I'm guessing it's either another faction leader of the Changelings or a major faction player within the renegade Changelings that has information or is essential to making certain plans happen for the renegade Changelings (a sort of merging between Changling and humanoid on the mind level), and that is why everyone is after Jack.

Personally, liking how these last two episodes have gone. And if the rumors of a Season 4, or even continuation with a newer crew spin-off as well, so long as they can keep how it is now, it should be interesting to see. :)

Last edited:
Associate
I think Jack was told about Picard by his mum, went to find him, got that rejection, and that’s the reason that he told his mum that he didn’t want to find out about his dad. Its now closed out that story arc section, and fully answered the question that Picard asked directly of Jack in 10-forward of why he didn’t want to find out.

I’m glad my thoughts on the nebula being something bore fruition.

Regarding the visions, i think the last phrase by the woman’s voice said “find me” so I’m wondering who that could be. - Edit : reading up, there was a female Changeling who surrendered as part of a treaty in DS9 … could be her.

And i liked how when they ditched the portal tech, it confirmed it was daystrom stuff as it flew past the screen.

Last edited:
Commissario
I really enjoyed that episode although it raises some questions about Star Fleets rather dubious priorities.

Ok they think to have an emergency back up power supply that is independent of the main systems for a holo deck (a system that was specifically cited in several TNG and Voyager episodes as being very power hungry), but nowhere on the ship, even in the "designated common/refuge" areas such as Sick bay do they have any independent emergency life support systems...or even oxygen masks (something you'd want if just in case of a fire/smoke)
Also and I know this is me being picky and it's done for the drama, but "life support is off, we've only got a few minutes or air" when there are tens of thousands of cubic meters of air in the ship, and even on the bridge there is hundreds of cubic meters, and I won't mention how life support was off but artificial gravity was still functioning (you can survive floating in zero g for a long time, you can't survive not breathing for more than a few minutes).

Sorry just having a little moan, I really enjoyed the episode but that sort of thing does make me roll my eyes given it would indicate the designers of the ships had no idea of the what should be a priority for survival I can imagine Star Fleets ship architects having a conversion:
Captain Berkley: "You know in the event of a seriously dangerous situation we should do something for the crew"
Ship architect: "you mean put in some basic fail safes like independent emergency life support in the shelter areas, engineering and the bridge"
Captain Berkley: "No make sure the holodeck can keep running so Geordie can go on a date"
Ship architect: "..."

Last edited:
Soldato
Just started season 1 on prime, pretty good so far, not really a big Star Trek fan but it passes the time nicely.

Any particular standout episodes/season?

Im only about 4 episodes in so far of S1.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I really enjoyed that episode although it raises some questions about Star Fleets rather dubious priorities.

Ok they think to have an emergency back up power supply that is independent of the main systems for a holo deck (a system that was specifically cited in several TNG and Voyager episodes as being very power hungry), but nowhere on the ship, even in the "designated common/refuge" areas such as Sick bay do they have any independent emergency life support systems...or even oxygen masks (something you'd want if just in case of a fire/smoke)
Also and I know this is me being picky and it's done for the drama, but "life support is off, we've only got a few minutes or air" when there are tens of thousands of cubic meters of air in the ship, and even on the bridge there is hundreds of cubic meters, and I won't mention how life support was off but artificial gravity was still functioning (you can survive floating in zero g for a long time, you can't survive not breathing for more than a few minutes).

Sorry just having a little moan, I really enjoyed the episode but that sort of thing does make me roll my eyes given it would indicate the designers of the ships had no idea of the what should be a priority for survival I can imagine Star Fleets ship architects having a conversion:
Captain Berkley: "You know in the event of a seriously dangerous situation we should do something for the crew"
Ship architect: "you mean put in some basic fail safes like independent emergency life support in the shelter areas, engineering and the bridge"
Captain Berkley: "No make sure the holodeck can keep running so Geordie can go on a date"
Ship architect: "..."
Thought exactly the same, silly but still a solid episode.

Caporegime
It makes sense that the inference people should make about 'the voice' and the clearly Mass Effect inspired visions that the head changeling who was imprisoned would be 'her' considering the apparent enemy being shown... but I don't see how considering she's highly to be the most secure prisoner for obvious reasons which makes me assume it's the Borg, again. The problem with the Borg being the big bad here is the last season kind of destroyed them conceptually? However because we keep being reminded every season about the dreadful Locutus I can't help but think this unresolved issue remains the core to this whole series.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom