Star Trek : Strange New Worlds

Associate
how are you watching it?
i did not think they released it anywhere yet
the first episode was released on paramount+ today as it will be released every Thursday.
first episode takes place short time after the events of STD season 2 finale, the first episode also cover what happen after it.
looks very promising and i believe season 2 is also in the works, but for how many season will get is still a question mark as we know that pike accident happen
10 year from where episode 1 of star trek strange new worlds start from.

Soldato
Superb first episode. No disco nightclub music every few mins, no stupid discussing feelings in the middle of a critical situation. Just good old trek.

Oh and she can mess with my genomes anytime….

Reactions: TNA
Man of Honour
Oh and she can mess with my genomes anytime….
:D
Yup this crew is all Federation business attire with no nonsense in between. They have their histories for sure and a little bit is shown here and there but then it's straight back to business. Also loved the grand entrance in the last act

Also:

Anson Mount is the only actor that is capable of playing Pike in the modern setting really.

Soldato
Nice scenery at start, good to see it has a good budget.

Why did his shag piece call his communicator a phone?!

Lovely intro, definite homage to TOS. Liked the theme tune, but seemed a little underwhelming, maybe it will grow on me.

Nice mention of Lt Kirk and Spocks sister!

Heavy on the female presence on the Bridge - please don't be woke, please don't be woke.

Nurse Chappel! Yey! Nom too ;) Noticed @25m Pike either winked at her or he's got a twitch.

Not sure about Uhura actress or the new No1/Security Chief and the Dr.

Didn't like "screw general order 1". But wow, what an interesting twist, we're the Aliens and the Enterprise drop out of orbit reminded me of BSG.

What a great start to the show, reminds me of traditional star trek episodes and not one's filled with crying, whispered speeches and stories resolved by love and feelings.

Caporegime
7/10 from me seems pretty good for a first ep..

hopefully they keep feelings and relationships off the screen and to peoples imaginations..

Soldato
Really enjoyed that. Feels more like star trek than the other two shows who only have the word star trek in the title.

It does seem to have that over saturated look to it, and the usual heavy CGI work which at times looks cheap. Storyline is key, and the jury is very much out.

I'll check who the writers are on this show. Hopefully none have moved across from you know where.

Soldato
So pikes into horses like kirk and picard.

Intro was nice with the speech added, nice its a more traditional trek feeling.

Bit too many women on the bridge, maybe that will change soon, i prefer a more male orientated cast tbh tho.

Uhura, hmm dont think i like her, i wish they coulda searched for a actress that would be more like original uhura.

Ent entering orbit, big ships arnt suppose to enter the atmosphere, but then tos did do it once so...

The communicator vid phone was a surprise.

They got lucky revealing all that to the aliens, if they did have warp bombs, they could just have gone and remoted bombed earth after giving all that info where they come from.

no1/sec officer, seems a bit of a mess.

There seems to be a women that looks like a bloke where sulu sits, is that a non binary or whatever or just a butch women? Dont think id like that char.

The new ent design on the outside looks nice enough, the inside tho looks too flashy, i wish these new shows dialed it back and just look like a normal bridge without shiny posh looking stuff in. The eng room looked way to reflective surfaces and scale looks odd like from jj trek eng room scale. Nice corridors tho, and curved ones at that.

Dunno about spock almost getting married/or did get married?? at that time to T'Pring, as that we know of from tos, they had yet to meet face to face untill the ep amok time. Please dont rewrite tos history...

I wonder who they will get as chief eng. I cant remember them showing one for that first ep. I hope they get someone like scotty.

Last edited:

JRS

JRS

Soldato
Okay. Gathered some thoughts now.

The Good

Loved the nod to the Franz Joseph Saladin/Hermes with the single nacelle USS Archer.
Anson Mount still very good indeed.
An actual very close approximation of a Star Trek intro! Wonders never cease.

The Bad

Not a wild fan of the new uniforms, especially the collars. Also - drab colours in "The Cage", bright colours here, drab again for "Where No Man...", bright for TOS. Really?
The episode ground to a halt on occasion while backstory and exposition droned on.
You're seriously telling me that the aliens reverse-engineered matter-antimatter reactors from telescope views of starships? And what makes what they built a warp bomb rather than just an antimatter one (you know, like a photon torpedo)?
The story was a bit of a re-treading of old ground. In "The Cage", Pike is brooding at the start of the episode and considering leaving the service. By the end he's rediscovered his love of the centre seat and sets off exploring the galaxy once more. Here, Pike is brooding at the start of the episode and considering leaving the service. By the end he's rediscovered, yada yada yada.

The Kurtzman

Still hate the JJTrek/STDness of the aesthetic. Still hate the Enterprise redesign. Oh, and newsflash showrunners - riffing on the TMP drydock scene isn't going to make me change my mind on that.
But worse than the exteriors are the interiors. Especially the bridge, which is an utter mess. So. Many. God damned. Lights.
Buh-bye to any chance of The Animated Series being accepted as canon then, with April getting himself a race (and accent) lift. Hey ho.
Did we really need M'Benga, Chapel and Uhura parachuting in from TOS? For example, what was wrong with having Phil Boyce (from "The Cage") as Chief Medical Officer? I'm all for fanservice, but have it where it's appropriate (***edit*** for an appropriate spot of fanservice - the inclusion of George Samuel Kirk, who could easily have been a Starfleet scientist before going out to Deneva).
La'an Noonien Singh :rolleyes: And because they're complete hacks, they even made her first name sound similar to Khan. Just couldn't help themselves.

Soldato
I agree about the whole making a warp bomb thing from just telescopic observations, JRS. How tf can they invent something from observing a ship. Madness...

Anyone else got the feeling that the morphing into aliens thing reminds me of the syrum species 8472 uses? I thought they did cosmetic surgery for those things?

Back
Top Bottom