**** Star Wars: Battlefront ****

Associate
I don't think anyone would argue both the graphics and sound are amazing. One of the best in the FPS genre.

The point is this game has very little depth and just after a couple of weeks has already become stale.

The fact these guys got away charging full price for a multiplayer only game with very limited map options, no weapons upgrades and no class system, is quite ridiculous.

I've never been behind the whole "boycott EA" thing, but if there was ever a perfect example of how games should not be limited, this would be it

Associate
I don't think anyone would argue both the graphics and sound are amazing. One of the best in the FPS genre.

The point is this game has very little depth and just after a couple of weeks has already become stale.

The fact these guys got away charging full price for a multiplayer only game with very limited map options, no weapons upgrades and no class system, is quite ridiculous.

I've never been behind the whole "boycott EA" thing, but if there was ever a perfect example of how games should not be limited, this would be it

The fact that people knew about all these downfalls before the game was released and still bought it anyway and then go to complain is even more ridiculous

Caporegime
Yup as expected, a lot of people seem to be losing interest in the game already and I'm noticing that even the youtubers I'm subscribed too aren't up loading as much footage now...

Thank God for origin's refund system :p

Edit:

The official forums are now full of complaints on the balance of the game too.

Associate
The fact that people knew about all these downfalls before the game was released and still bought it anyway and then go to complain is even more ridiculous

If you knew about the problems and still bought it, I agree you have no real grounds to moan about it.

However a lot of people didn't know these issues existed. Many people bought it because it's Star Wars and looked incredible in the trailers.

You can't say that EA bares no responsibility not to rip off it's customers. There should be a certain level of quality and features that come as standard in a full priced release. Especially if it's a multiplayer only title

Man of Honour
Getting bored with the game now - can't really apply skill with the "netcode" how it is and while I averaged a 4:1 KDR over a few hours of playing last night by using the build above and bypassing the "netcode" it just left me bored with the lack of challenge and half the time wasn't even paying attention to the game.

Caporegime
Regardless of the netcode, there is zero skill in this game, the wallhack, lock on weapons, one shot one kill weapons/gadgets, grenade spam, lock on aiming for flying, hip fire whilst moving with perfect accuracy, 3rd POV, heroes etc. etc. shows this. To do semi well as normal infy player, you just got to be careful with how you approach battles i.e. don't go head on running in to a room/corner thinking you can take 3+ people on, much like any recent shooter game tbh.

Can't say I have had any issues with netcode/hit reg. though, seems fine to me.

Last edited:
Soldato
Theres just no substance to the game what so ever. Also map design is poor (for the tiny amount there are), balance is bad, theres no teamwork or tactics at all. It's like they have designed the game with the focus on just unlocking stuff, to unlock even more stuff, and then....nothing.

If they just copy/pasted Battlefront 2 in to the Frostbite engine it would be a 10x better game, but still not worth the crazy asking price.

Last edited:
Soldato
Yup as expected, a lot of people seem to be losing interest in the game already and I'm noticing that even the youtubers I'm subscribed too aren't up loading as much footage now...

Thank God for origin's refund system :p

Edit:

The official forums are now full of complaints on the balance of the game too.

You've wanted to hate on this game from the beginning in all fairness..you've been more interested in others posting negative videos and negative postings on forums then actually just playing the game and not worry about what others say...you're a big girls blouse lmao. Just play the damn game jesus mate lol.

Underboss
You've wanted to hate on this game from the beginning in all fairness..you've been more interested in others posting negative videos and negative postings on forums then actually just playing the game and not worry about what others say...you're a big girls blouse lmao. Just play the damn game jesus mate lol.

Preach brother Tony!

Nexus moaning about lack of maps and depth, then only ever picks 4 maps on rotation in BF4 and sits in a Tank/AA all round.

:D

Caporegime
I wish I could Tony but it just infuriates me so much, total biscuit nailed it in his video. DICE were the perfect developer to do this game, they already have so much experience with mixing infy and vehicle play on big open maps etc. and some how they came out with this....

I'm sure that the DLC will add a lot of great stuff, certainly more so than bf 3 and 4 DLC packs anyway.... but that is another problem, it shouldn't be added as paid DLC, it should have been there from day 1. Battlefront 2 had a lot of great things to it and I bet you, a lot of those things removed will be added as paid DLC.

No doubt it was more EA and Disney that wanted this style of a game and DLC system though, probably 2 of the most greediest companies ever....

The problem is with this game doing so well and already a sequel announced, chances are nothing/little will change because people have just "accepted" it and say something along the lines of "its awesome because its star wars". It could be bad news for future battlefield titles too, either they get dumbed down to the same level or/and might even get delayed until the star wars hype dies down, remember EA have this for 10 years.... I can see them wanting to milk this franchise as much as possible especially when bf 4 was a failure for sales.

Even with the basics of how this game is, there is a great game underneath, DICE only need to do a few basic things such as:

- reduce the reload time for the cards especially explosive stuff and only allow one type of grenade to be used in a hand
- reduce the splash damage for grenades especially impact
- keep the heroes to their own game mode and if not then introduce a ton of changes i.e. a timer limit like there is for the ATATS, I would list more stuff just for the heroes but there is so much that they need to do, it would make this post even longer :p
- remove 3rd POV or 1st POV or/and have an option where you can choose a server, which has only one view type enabled
- weapon balance is needed badly, again too much to list
- spawn system
- don't allow a team to use the other team's own turrets against them, tried walker assault/supremacy and the amount of times you die on spawn from this is crazy
- make the ATAT and hero system random for anyone i.e. not a pickup token, too many people just sit at the back waiting for it to appear. Xfactor got 2 ATAT's in a row followed by a hero token by doing this, as a result, he went on a 76-0 streak
Just those few changes and the game could be a lot better.

My question to people who "love" the game has always been.... ignoring the star wars skin and graphics, would you still like it as much?

I'm a huge star wars fan, seen the old films dozens of times, played most of the games etc. etc. but the skin and graphics/sound just isn't good enough to make up for the gameplay imo.

The one thing I do love about this game though is just how quick it is to get a game and get playing again after dying, no need to play "seriously" like in bf 4/3

Preach brother Tony!

Nexus moaning about lack of maps and depth, then only ever picks 4 maps on rotation in BF4 and sits in a Tank/AA/attack jet/heli/love boat all round.

:D

Fixed ;)

Either way, yes we stuck to vanilla maps mostly but that was 11 good maps....

Also, I have always been up for doing more maps in bf 4, it was either you lot that hated them or/and people on discord/TS didn't have DLC packs so we had to stick to vanilla! :p The only ones I hate with a passion in bf 4 are pearl market, night zavod, silk road and the second assault map pack.

The fact that we got over 1000 hours from just 11 maps shows how much longevity, depth, skill etc. there was to that game, at least until they started to **** it up with some of the recent patches....

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Heros should be objective linked IMO - i.e. doing an objective or a certain amount of points defending an objective should give a random chance to get a hero option on next respawn.

EDIT: The distance based thing is due to how long the game works with timeslice wise when trying to reconcile player events - people were complaining about me long range killing them with the shotgun equivalent and its due to the fact that where I was when I fired it at them and where they see me when the game finally kills them on their end can be a long way apart - same with impact grenades where it actually explodes as you see it can be a long way off where the other player actually threw it :(

EDIT: That said to up the skill level required certain explosives should still have their radius reduced.

Last edited:
Associate
Funny how despite all the criticism here it's all about aspects of the online play. Everyone is so obsessed with multiplayer that hardly anyone here has complained about the complete lack of decent offline play.

I'm not even talking about a story campaign, but a Battlefront game should have a offline mode vs bots for the mutliplayer maps and modes. Not everyone wants to deal with rubberbanding, hackers, tryhards and the general cluster____ that is playing vs others.

There's no time to just enjoy this game, it's pew-pew-die over and over . . . garbage. Battlefront 2 is infinitely more fun than this.

Permabanned
I'm sure that the DLC will add a lot of great stuff, certainly more so than bf 3 and 4 DLC packs anyway.

No, just no. BF3 map packs are exceptional. With each new map pack they introduced new game modes, challenges and maps that suited different styles of play. But anyway here were are again comparing Battlefield to Battlefront which shouldn't happen.

TB in his review summed it up excellently whether or not Battlefront would appeal to his viewers or not.

"A safe star wars experience that lacks any surprise or variety that the star wars universe could offer, not including space battles in a star wars game is a ridiculous decision. It is a brainless, repetitive and sub par shooter. It may be the best looking or sounding star wars experience that has been ever created and for some people that is enough to keep them playing but if you scratch that varnish a little bit what is unveiled beneath is a something that has no longevity whatsoever with only a progression system to keep you going.

I think I have seen everything this game has to offer and in too short a time to justify the price tag. DICE know how to make combined arms shooters and this game fails at it, it is all mouth and no trousers. Maybe I have played too many shooters and have high expectations, maybe I am a competitive person at heart even though I suck at games, maybe I like to get better and feel challenged but in star wars the skill ceiling is so low. But there are players who do not look for these things in a game and honestly if that is what they look for then I envy you as I would have loved to enjoy the game too as I love the star wars universe, I love games that perform well, I love games that look great and sound awesome but unfortunately I am not wired that way and come in a few months time I don't think we will see many people continuing to play this."

So here we are, I agree with TB and had the same feeling during the beta. I am also wired that way too and had high expectations of the game and couldn't accept paying for something with 4 maps, obviously had little thought process to teamplay and balance and has a low skill ceiling.

I've played games for hundreds of hours that had a low skill ceiling and enjoyed them to death like Nazi zombies in WAW and Black Ops but then they met my expectations and more whilst being brilliant at what it did best.
So the game is either something you will enjoy or won't, similar to BF4 no matter how much I played it I didn't enjoy it as a Battlefield experience so gave up on it and went back to BF3.

Caporegime
That too weyland yutani but that is what makes the MP even more disappointing, they didn't even have to put time/effort into a SP so they could have done so much more with the MP, it really just seems like they have spent their entire time trying to make the graphics as good as possible.

The bf 3 DLC packs weren't bad for bf 3 twirly but with this being a star wars game and stuff that previous battlefront games had, the potential for even better and far more tempting DLC packs is there, I can see there being a ton of extra game modes, weapons, gadgets, maps, characters, heroes, vehicles etc. in future DLC packs.

Man of Honour
lol the SWBF forums are a riot (comedy wise)... a whole new group of gamers (who have never played a Battlefield game) getting their first exposure to the quality of Dice Stockholm products... loling at the people in disbelief that they can't even make a properly working chat feature...

Back
Top Bottom