****Star Wars: Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker - Official Thread****

Soldato
Yeah he done a podcast saying he was back (before his fleet had the daunting task of trying to figure out what way was up).

But they couldn't just "go up" because then they wouldn't have been able to have the space horse calvary charge if they'd already left the planet, and having space horses run on the outside of the ship was the most critical part of the rebel plan..................somehow :D

Caporegime
Don't forget the importance of building your huge galaxy dominating fleet on a planet that is nearly impossible to take off from (and also without any kind of ship building facilities in sight)

Soldato
Did I miss something at the end of the last one. I know in the trailer for ep9 that Palpatine could be heard but in the start to ep9 it says there is a broadcast of his voice.
This seem like a huge leap to me of story and confusion..
Infact the whole first 30mins felt like I was 3/4 the way into the film and had missed loads. It was moving through the story at a million miles per second. Maybe to sort out the whole mess of the 2nd film as soon as possible. Threw me right off from the start

What the hell was with all the letter box lighting on people eyes to make them look evil. Who the **** was in charge of this crap. Flare everywhere.

Whilst this film is no where near as bad as the ep 8. It felt like I was watching it on speed. The pacing was ridiculous. I couldn't keep up with the youths exubarant adhd version of Star wars.

Apparently Palpatine's message promising revenge was broadcast as part of a Star Wars event in Fortnite!

He's fine as a director, he directed a number of highly rated Breaking Bad episodes, but as a writer he's shaky at best and shouldn't be given free reign with an established franchise.

He wrote and directed Knives Out and Looper. I thought Knives Out in particular was really good, I just think Star Wars was a bit of a misstep for him.

Caporegime
May have already been mentioned but has it been explained yet just wtf was going on at the end of the movie with Star Destroyers randomly dropping out of the sky over different planets?

If they were trying to hint the first order soldiers rebelled and scuttled the ships they done a **** poor job of it.

Man of Honour
May have already been mentioned but has it been explained yet just wtf was going on at the end of the movie with Star Destroyers randomly dropping out of the sky over different planets?

If they were trying to hint the first order soldiers rebelled and scuttled the ships they done a **** poor job of it.
How you seen Independence Day? It was more or less like that - just imagery showing the evil across the universe (rather than across the planet) had been defeated.

Actually, I recall that a few Empire vessels were out there already? Didn’t they show the Death Star weaponry being used? Perhaps I have got that wrong but I recall something along those lines.

Caporegime
How you seen Independence Day? It was more or less like that - just imagery showing the evil across the universe (rather than across the planet) had been defeated.

Actually, I recall that a few Empire vessels were out there already? Didn’t they show the Death Star weaponry being used? Perhaps I have got that wrong but I recall something along those lines.

There was one ship from the final order fleet farting about that took out a planet, at least in independence day it's shown how to take the ships down then the info is passed along so you can easily fill in the gaps. The ending just seemed weird with ships dropping out of the sky for seemingly no reason. They could have been taken out by other rebel fleets but it's not shown.

Man of Honour
There was one ship from the final order fleet farting about that took out a planet, at least in independence day it's shown how to take the ships down then the info is passed along so you can easily fill in the gaps. The ending just seemed weird with ships dropping out of the sky for seemingly no reason. They could have been taken out by other rebel fleets but it's not shown.
Yes, I thought of it being 'everyone across the universe uniting to kill the baddies', other rebel fleets as you say.

Raz

Raz

Soldato
Yes, I thought of it being 'everyone across the universe uniting to kill the baddies', other rebel fleets as you say.

But there were no other rebel fleets - it seemed that all the ships the resistance had were at Exogol, and then the people joined with their own ships? Also,I thought that the First Order fleet wasn't all at Exogol, just the new Sith fleet. Why suddenly their ships started dropping like flies across the galaxy is a bit odd (I understand the intent, but it was done clumsily).

But having watched the film, and with the saga now complete, I believe that the 9 films and all the tales of death, destruction, revenge, tyranny, resistance, and hope were all for one thing and one thing only, and that was for Babu Frik and C3P0 to become friends.

Associate
i took it from the chat that finn and jannah had about them being both ex storm troopers and that they stopped fighting for the first/last order because it "felt" right, that once rey killed emperor the feeling of dread and fear that he projects into there hearts was lifted, so many more people rebelled on the ships, destroying them as they escaped

Caporegime
Exactly. It's just a comedy of lost potential. Most of what we say is probably, metaphorically, sitting on the editing suite floor.
I've watched a few full on 2h commentary reviews and they are so right. It's hilarious how bad it is.

Man of Honour
But there were no other rebel fleets - it seemed that all the ships the resistance had were at Exogol, and then the people joined with their own ships? Also,I thought that the First Order fleet wasn't all at Exogol, just the new Sith fleet. Why suddenly their ships started dropping like flies across the galaxy is a bit odd (I understand the intent, but it was done clumsily).

But having watched the film, and with the saga now complete, I believe that the 9 films and all the tales of death, destruction, revenge, tyranny, resistance, and hope were all for one thing and one thing only, and that was for Babu Frik and C3P0 to become friends.
Forgive my misuse of the word ‘fleet’. I meant ‘groups of rebelling people’ inspired by the ongoing events.

I’m not hung up over it at all.

Soldato
I've seen this mentioned a few times on various YT videos and, having thought more about it, I have to agree - The 9 film arc isn't really about the Skywalkers, it's actually about the Palpatines instead! By the end the Skywalkers have all died with no living heir left, yet the Palpatines are still going strong with Rey who, by this point, could be considered to be the most important person in the Universe, which just adds insult when she (a Palpatine) steals the Skywalker name with no-one to stop her.

Made me chuckle anyway :D

Soldato
Someone wrote a letter to Kermode and Mayo on the radio 5 film review.
It was rather good.

Letter to radio said:
Review for Frozen 2 and Star Wars 9.
They are the same film, so I can review them at the same time.
A young lady learning to harness her newfound mystical power must go on a quest that will not only save herself and everyone else but also reveal the secrets in her lineage that had been buried for decades, initially seeking to go on her quest alone a close-knit group of friends refused to allow it, and insist they will accompany her on her path but ultimately she's forced to leave them behind and face her final test alone.
That test proves almost too much, she does learn her true and disturbing heritage that although her parents were lovely a rather nasty grandfather has been the source of all the bother that's been going on for all the years.
She is able to make amends for the misdeeds of her ancestor, the girl is only able to save everyone else by sacrificing herself, fortunately the film is able to both have its cake and eat that delicious cake after delivering the emotional and dramatic gut punch of her death, she is quickly resurrected so nobody is too sad for too long.
Serviceable but unoriginal sequel with satisfying moments, some laughs and nostalgic musical cues, clearly made by committee to maximize financial return from a franchise that's already said all it ever needed to.

Permabanned
That is why Mandalorian etc and other tales are the best bet they have going forward. They killed the Skywalker stuff pretty quick now how can it be milked again?

Bad choices the new films should have explored Yoda more and other people like Hans could have a film about him and Chewbacca no? There could be a backstory movie for every famous character and still leave the ending of the skywalker story untouched. But in thier greed thats the whole problem greed and impatience.

Man of Honour
That is why Mandalorian etc and other tales are the best bet they have going forward. They killed the Skywalker stuff pretty quick now how can it be milked again?

Bad choices the new films should have explored Yoda more and other people like Hans could have a film about him and Chewbacca no? There could be a backstory movie for every famous character and still leave the ending of the skywalker story untouched. But in thier greed thats the whole problem greed and impatience.

We've already had a Chewbacca story. It's called the holiday special. :D

Back
Top Bottom