****Star Wars: Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker - Official Thread****

Soldato
Should read my post above and understand it's not aimed at you. It's for a new generation

I do get that, but it seamed that they have purposefully gone out of their way to destroy things that have been good about the first 3(6) films for no other reason than that they could, and the SJW stuff didn't help either.

It's sad as it could have been excellent and earned billions, but looking at the previous 2 films they are on a downward trend and with the same people in charge it doesn't look like that will change for the better - either money or story wise.

Man of Honour
Lots of people go on about their kids loving Star Wars.

I come across dozens of kids a day and I can tell you most aren’t interested in Star Wars or Jedi in the slightest. Marvel marvel marvel.

Caporegime
Ever since Rian Johnson absolutely knocked it out of the park with The Last Jedi and Abrams was announced for episode IX I've been concerned that JJ would drop the ball. JJ excels at beautiful but shallow films which was fine for The Force Awakens, but TLJ took it to another level and I have serious doubts that JJ is up to following that. Doubly so since it transpired the extent to which there was a failure to plan for a coherent trilogy at all.

Five seconds into the trailer and I'm excited again.

Can't wait for December.

Caporegime
Lots of people go on about their kids loving Star Wars.

I come across dozens of kids a day and I can tell you most aren’t interested in Star Wars or Jedi in the slightest. Marvel marvel marvel.

Yep my Nehphew (6) couldn't give two ***** about Star Wars. I was wanting to wait to show him the originals, but he's seen the new stuff and I just don't think he'd care now.

Permabanned
Looks great. :D

My son likes it, he's 11, we have watched them all together so far. It's different these days as there is far more to interest kids/much more available. From what I recall we had ROTJ or care Bears.

Soldato
Looks great. :D

My son likes it, he's 11, we have watched them all together so far. It's different these days as there is far more to interest kids/much more available. From what I recall we had ROTJ or care Bears.

Lets be fair, ROTJ has care bears in it.... as marketing wouldn't allow it to be wookies….

Soldato
Unless of course snoke was palps (as he did tell anakin he knew how to bring people back, and Darth maul survived despite being cut in half and going down a big hole.

Man of Honour
Yep my Nehphew (6) couldn't give two ***** about Star Wars. I was wanting to wait to show him the originals, but he's seen the new stuff and I just don't think he'd care now.

Actually breaks my heart :(

The teaser trailer for 9 is... I don't know. I think the only thing that really gets me any more is the music.

Soldato
I’ve seen all 4 of the new Star Wars films at the cinema and they weren’t full of kids they were full of adults. Kids might be the target audience for the merchandise but they’re not going to get billion dollar ticket sales unless adults like these movies too. Kids might be happy with the plots but if decent portions of your adult audience don’t that could be big bucks not being spent at the cinema.

Permabanned
Out of interest did anyone grow up watching the prequels and later as an adult watched Episode 4 and was horrified with how they butchered Obi Wan's legacy?

I loved the original 3 films.
The prequels were ultimately disappointing but ok, they just didn't have the same level of storytelling and too much CGI opted instead of old school puppet SFX.
And the new films... well just crap to be honest, that's what I call total butchery.

So I have little hope that The Rise of Skywalker will be much better.
Saying that it really couldn't be much worst than The Last Jedi I guess.

v0n

v0n

Soldato
Let's get the giant elephant in the room out of the way first.

There are only two ways in which TROS title would make sense:
- old Skywalker isn't dead
- Rey is the new Skywalker

Luke is dead. Bringing him back from the collapsing in the air cape visual Obiwanism would be the worst damage control ever. JJ is smarter than that.

Rey is not Luke's daughter. There was nothing between these two to suggest it in TLJ, wiggling it now would be the worst damage control ever. JJ is smarter than that.

So that leaves us with only one viable option - Rey, of currently no last name, will take on Skywalker family name. You know, being the closest to Jedi legacy. Plus it doesn't cancel out "Rey's parents are nobodies" imposter established canon. And it's going to be classic JJ's fob off one scene "deal with it" slap on - she'll come to Leia, say something like "I want to honour Luke, sob sob", to which unused-footage-Leia will reply "Take on his name, he liked you very much, he would love that" with her back to the camera. They hug. The entire old generation of cinema goers gasp "What? How? Who? Where did that come from?" and slap their forehead, but kind of go "ow right, better than Johnsonist crap anyway" inside. You know it's going to happen. No other explanation for the Skywalker title would be accepted as not forced.

Emperor laughter is only Rey's force flashback, like vision of Cloud City's internals in TFA. JJ clearly wanted her to be seer force user.

Kylo Ren will try to get Darth Vader's light sabre from the wreck of Death Star. That's why Rey is there.

Associate
The trailer didn't blow me away and I'm sure the Palpatine presence is just like the Heir to the Empire EU book where he left a 'stain' of the darkside where he died. Or the visions as in the Star Wars Rebels story. I will wait for the Disney Plus release.

Soldato
Let's get the giant elephant in the room out of the way first.

There are only two ways in which TROS title would make sense:
- old Skywalker isn't dead
- Rey is the new Skywalker

Luke is dead. Bringing him back from the collapsing in the air cape visual Obiwanism would be the worst damage control ever. JJ is smarter than that.

Rey is not Luke's daughter. There was nothing between these two to suggest it in TLJ, wiggling it now would be the worst damage control ever. JJ is smarter than that.

So that leaves us with only one viable option - Rey, of currently no last name, will take on Skywalker family name. You know, being the closest to Jedi legacy. Plus it doesn't cancel out "Rey's parents are nobodies" imposter established canon. And it's going to be classic JJ's fob off one scene "deal with it" slap on - she'll come to Leia, say something like "I want to honour Luke, sob sob", to which unused-footage-Leia will reply "Take on his name, he liked you very much, he would love that" with her back to the camera. They hug. The entire old generation of cinema goers gasp "What? How? Who? Where did that come from?" and slap their forehead, but kind of go "ow right, better than Johnsonist crap anyway" inside. You know it's going to happen. No other explanation for the Skywalker title would be accepted as not forced.

Emperor laughter is only Rey's force flashback, like vision of Cloud City's internals in TFA. JJ clearly wanted her to be seer force user.

Kylo Ren will try to get Darth Vader's light sabre from the wreck of Death Star. That's why Rey is there.

Or the rise of Skywalker is referring to Kylo Ren ?

He has Skywalker blood, and this film is set a couple years after the last jedi. So from that time he has gone from killing snoke and rising to leadership and his stamp on the galaxy.

Soldato
Didn't Lukes old lightsabre get ripped in half in the TLJ? Or is that not it that Rey is running around with?

It did get ripped in two but Rey took both parts and had them as well as the jedi books in the final few mins of the last jedi. I presume in the years between these two films she read the books and learned all she could

Back
Top Bottom