**Star Wars Outlaws Open World Star Wars game from Massive Entertainment**

I was actually looking quite forward to this after the second or whatever it was trailer. But after reading the reviews, yeah it's a subscribe to ubisoft in 12 months kind of thing when it's a quid.I believe everything mrk says so if he said it's amazing I'm going in.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: TNA
How expensive is millimeter accurate facial mocap?

Maybe a bit of a nitpick but I think any game that relies more than superficially on conversation between the player and NPC's should really try to avoid a mostly flat expression.

Last edited:
I jumped through the New Zealand VPN hoops and played the intro planet. A bit stuttery at times on the old 3080, unsure if it's just the infamous 10gb or the game too. I'll have to play with the settings more as the next planet ups the foliage and takes a big chunk of the frames.

The FSR 3 frame gen mod works decently with the game too with none of the expected UI dodgyness.

How expensive is millimeter accurate facial mocap?

Maybe a bit of a nitpick but I think any game that relies more than superficially on conversation between the player and NPC's should really try to avoid a mostly flat expression.
This was fairly noticeable against the expensive lighting and rtx stuff going on. It kind of cheapens the overall presentation.

ACg has same spec as me and says game dropping in to 30s without DLSS. But I don't get why it wasn't on. He puts it on performance and then says game looks worse, of course it does.

Signed up for a ubisoft+ to try this out for the month. I thought it was supposed to go live at 11pm. But playing it now,no VPN either. Pressed play and it started no problem

Rob

• Wow
Reactions: mrk
Signed up for a ubisoft+ to try this out for the month. I thought it was supposed to go live at 11pm. But playing it now,no VPN either. Pressed play and it started no problem

Rob

Oh yeah, odd.

Film grain off. 'cinematic mode' off.

Initial impressions with everything maxed out/on at 4k, yeah it's not great looking. It's odd though because some bits look absolutely terrible and then other bits look really good. It's a strange mishmash.
Would be interesting to see if the other planets fare any better. Not sure what FPS I'm getting because the Nvidia overlay doesn't work, although it is just showing me that my GPU is 99% in use and CPU hovering around 30.

Using 17.2gb VRAM..
Can't try rtx HDR as it says it's not a supported game.

Last edited:
Alright so been playing since 9PM and I'm on the planet having escaped and well into the main story now I think.

Technical thoughts:
  • The audio is excellent, immersive and ambience gives the vibes of Star Wars universe, like being in the films
  • The graphics are a mix of excellent and rather WTF. The cinematic cutscenes are mostly not great quality, jank on edges, textures appear low quality and they're locked at 60fps max even though they appear to be in-engine
  • You cannot turn off depth of field, only set it to low
  • Ray Tracing cannot be turned off either, only set to low, good luck AMD users :p
  • RTXDI has a HUGE performance hit. We are talking the same kind of hit that you get from enabling Path tracing over Ray Tracing, why? The visual difference isn't huge when you manually set all GFX settings to max (the Ultra Preset does NOT use max everything!)
  • With DLSS set to Performance and upscaler mode set to fixed I get 60fps or less for a 4K output with these max manual settings. This is not acceptable. Enabling Frame Gen bumps the framerate up to 100 but in some areas it hovers around 85. There are no visual bugs with FG enabled though so this can be enabled without issue and there's no obvious mouse input latency.
  • There is a lack of sharpness to textures, everything has a soft kind of look to it, maybe this is typical Snowdrop engine I can't remember, but there's no option to adjust sharpness anyway that I could spot in settings.
  • The shadows are excellent, cascading, diffuse and complexity are all superb depending on the light source an object or characters are near. Even shooting barrels or whatever has realtime dynamic shadows playing with whatever light source they bounce around.
  • The photo mode is janky with mouse and keyboard
  • The game uses 16GB VRAM or more on its own, add inc the OS and background services and total VRAM use is a little over 20GB! Unlike Hogwarts this game at least looks and feels like that much VRAM is warranted. There is no traversal stuttering, only some minor shader comp stutter when loading a new area right at the start but that was about it really, maybe a hitch or two in some places but nothing major. Though with Frame Gen off the VRAM use can go up to 23GB and I suspect if I had more VRAM then it would be even higher LOL.
RTXDI on:
BdC8WPb.jpeg

RTXDI off:
Py9xPDn.jpeg

With Frame gen ON the fps difference is bigger:

FG ON + RTXDI off:
LmDT1QC.jpeg

FG ON + RTXDI on:
S5bya6S.jpeg

Is that difference worth nearly 30fps indoors? I'm not so sure.... It's not like in Cyberpunk or Alan Wake 2 where there's an obvious difference turning on/off RT vs Raster, and then again RT vs PT to warrant the big performance hit. This is clearly an optimisation issue stemmed in-part by the use of RTXDI.

Gameplay thoughts:
  • Movement response and general camera performance is fine, although movement itself can often feel floaty or magnetic depending on if you are jumping or wall climbing
  • Shooting seems to be fun and quite immersive. There is a basic cover system which works but it's nothing special.
  • Character voices are fine but lip sync is crap
  • Sometimes the objectives are not entirely obvious like right at the start it took some time to figure out I had to go back to the bar to earn credits, and also how to use Nix to steal credits off certain people - I skipped cutscenes though so not sure if this was explained in those.
  • The door lock system you have to "unlock" by using the tool wasn't immediately obvious either, I ended up figuring it out by myself after a few times and realised how it works, after then it's easy...
  • Aim sensitivity is perfect out of the box so shooting felt nice and snappy. No issues here.
Overall I'd say everything feels a bit basic. It works and is full of detail and random conversations to overhear or areas to explore and things to do, the arcade machine games you can play are fun too!

Some of my gameplay showing performance too:

Last edited:
Seems to be very heavy on fog effects too. Haven't really had a good scene for it but wondering if raised blacks are an issue.
Seemed to have a lot of grey bits.
Standard Ubisoft though, it's a 6-7/10. Not good, not terrible. Could change as I go further in as I only played 30m.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: TNA
No obvious black level issue that stands out as out of whack IMO, it's got a slight colour grade to it but nothing that's beyond "cinematic" really - Wukong on the other hand goes beyond cinematic.

I was actually looking quite forward to this after the second or whatever it was trailer. But after reading the reviews, yeah it's a subscribe to ubisoft in 12 months kind of thing when it's a quid.I believe everything mrk says so if he said it's amazing I'm going in.

You should subscribe to his onlyfans side hustle he recently launched :cry:

Back
Top Bottom