**Star Wars Outlaws Open World Star Wars game from Massive Entertainment**

100% by design. You can't holster or stow the additional weapons, and you can't climb ladders etc with a weapon in your hands. Makes logical sense, and gives designers the ability to gate areas that won't have heavy weapons in.

Strangely this is one of my bugbears in many games. The ability to carry so many different weapons and ammo that could arm and supply a squad of troops.

I’m not saying Outlaws got their method right, just that when a game tries to be different from the norm it can be hard to accept.

It’s almost paradoxical. A game can be poor for being too generic and not trying to be different, and also for trying to be different.

Speaking of paradoxes, I did a side mission that involved infiltrating an Imperial base and it was quite a tedious experience. The very next mission was exploring a derelict crashed New Republic cruiser and it was extremely enjoyable with some good cut scenes. One mission has you wanting to give up, another has you wanting more.

Last edited:
Strangely this is one of my bugbears in many games. The ability to carry so many different weapons and ammo that could arm and supply a squad of troops.

I’m not saying Outlaws got their method right, just that when a game tries to be different from the norm it can be hard to accept.
Halo was famous for only letting you carry 2 weapons...well those plus a heavy gun, but you couldn't store it.

I remember everyone moaning about the need to swap your torch and gun in Doom 3 and the duct tape mod being praised.

But for me I liked the original intent of the devs. It was more realistic, different and added to the atmosphere and danger.

Oh yeah hated Doom 3. Only one I never bothered to finish. Although I did appreciate the "realistic" approach on a game about a guy slaughtering demons.

Last edited:
There is a fine line with mechanics like this - in Doom 3 the game wasn't really designed around it, cool idea in sections, but combat could just become clunky and annoying.

Same with the weapon degradation or malaria in Farcry 2 - done properly they'd add to the immersion of the setting, as it was they were usually just annoying.

Last edited:
I remember everyone moaning about the need to swap your torch and gun in Doom 3 and the duct tape mod being praised.

But for me I liked the original intent of the devs. It was more realistic, different and added to the atmosphere and danger.

It's not realistic at all. You can do simple things like... this.

capsule_616x353.jpg

One of the games that handles gun handling/storage quite well is ArmA 3. But everyone is into aracadish / oversimplified game mechanics, meaning you have different poor implementations of the same (stupid) concept.

Last edited:
Still enjoying the game but there are some really bad bits. The worst thing I've come across so far is a part of a mission where I had to follow another character on their speeder with storm troopers chasing us on theirs. I kept failing what should have been a very easy mission because the character I was supposed to follow was riding so slowly and so erratically that I was forced to keep slowing down just so I could stay behind them otherwise I would have no idea where to go. This caused us and the storm troopers to just pile up and I would come off the bike or go the wrong direction or hit a rock. I must have failed the mission about 6 times purely because of how they had programmed the other character to ride like a complete idiot. Was so frustrating I almost turned the game off in disgust.

Last edited:
100% by design. You can't holster or stow the additional weapons, and you can't climb ladders etc with a weapon in your hands. Makes logical sense, and gives designers the ability to gate areas that won't have heavy weapons in.

Then it was a poor design choice, IMO. You should be able to carry one additional weapon up or down a ladder unless it’s a heavy weapon which I could understand might be restricted.

Climbing a ladder with one hand is pretty easy IRL.

Then it was a poor design choice, IMO. You should be able to carry one additional weapon up or down a ladder unless it’s a heavy weapon which I could understand might be restricted.

On this subject, I have no problem with the idea of limited use of 'other' weapons or even dropping them when carrying out certain actions, but there is no logic to being forced to discard them when they 'run out'. Laser guns don't have bullets so it makes no sense.

Why should you? Animation for a one-handed ladder climb would look super dumb. Then you've got your weapon in one hand on a ladder, so why can't you fire it while on a ladder? It's all just layers of jank and added complexity.

Game development is all about picking your battles. How many other features would you have been happy to cut so you ascend a ladder with a heavy weapon?

Not denying it's a bit annoying from a player perspective. But nothing is simple in game dev, it's usually the simple things that turn into development black holes and cause other really good features to get cut in order to fix it.

It's not realistic at all. You can do simple things like... this.

capsule_616x353.jpg

One of the games that handles gun handling/storage quite well is ArmA 3. But everyone is into aracadish / oversimplified game mechanics, meaning you have different poor implementations of the same (stupid) concept.
With a shotgun?

Games are chock full of design decisions and limitations that don't make logical sense but have been put in place for reasons. To criticise this game for these reasons when situations like this have been in place since the ZX Spectrum days and even on consoles since even before Halo which enforced on foot sections rather than vehicle sections is very short sighted.

So reading reviews everyone says its ok and nothing special, is the consensus on OCUK?
Yeah it's an ok game. If you love Star Wars then you'll definitely look past its short comings and I would say it's worth playing but otherwise I wouldn't bother.

So reading reviews everyone says its ok and nothing special, is the consensus on OCUK?

I’ve finally given up on it. There is a lot to like if you avoid the side missions and boring grind. Stick to the main quest and you have a decent Star Wars game but only decent. I got to the point the terrible gameplay elements even prevented me doing that. I just could not shake the stench of utter mediocrity that was 95% of the game.

4 out of 10 for me, 5 if I’m generous.

I’ve finally given up on it. There is a lot to like if you avoid the side missions and boring grind. Stick to the main quest and you have a decent Star Wars game but only decent. I got to the point the terrible gameplay elements even prevented me doing that. I just could not shake the stench of utter mediocrity that was 95% of the game.

4 out of 10 for me, 5 if I’m generous.
For how long did you play?

I've heard reports it's quite mediocre for the first 6 to 8 hours but opens up later and not to skip the side missions.

The review from Mortismal below (who 100% the game) sounded quite fair and balanced for anyone on the fence.

I've just finished this game today and have a mixed opinion on it. There are so many little glitches, questionable parts of the storylines, general problems and annoyances throughout the game I was amazed Ubisoft let the game go out the door so unfinished, but there is definitely (for me anyway) something a bit special about outlaws - just buried a bit deep. It has some great set pieces and does have a story that makes you want to play through to the end, but it also has artificial freedom of exploration, which is very limiting and frustrating at times. I'd still give it a 7/10, but it could have done with another 6 months in the oven.,

Back
Top Bottom