Star Wars: The Acolyte

Caporegime
Anyway, based on this weeks episode, they've left far too many questions unanswered for the finale next week. We would need a 1 hour+ episode and we will be lucky to get 35 mins :D For me the worst live action SW show in a while.

On the whole, it had promise, but the story is weak compared to other SW shows. This week's episode could have easily been condensed, I think 2 whole flashback episodes in an 8 episode show is too much!

rp2000

Soldato

IIRC many people didn't watch the show cos they were trump fans (or something like that!). It's covered in the thread from post 47 onwards.

rp2000

God I'd forgotten about the "Trump" thing being what killed it!!!!

I was definitely one of those folks who, after being all fired up to watch this initially changed my mind after a Producer said that this was effectively a Trump allegory, at which point I just thought it was more of the same old Disney injecting unnecessary real world drama into a story supposedly from a Galaxy far far away...............

(posted one month after release) For example I was really keen and eager to watch this from the first trailers, but then after a producer (I think) went on a "this is about Trump" rant during an interview, I instantly lost all appetite to watch it and I still haven't and probably never will, not because I think it's badly made or full of objectionable material but purely because after that rant I realised just don't care about "modern" Star Wars and the people who make it any more.

and then once it came out I started to see some bits of the show being posted which made me question my opinion, because the quality was sooooo good and it also turned out the Producer was talking rubbish...............

(posted two months after release) I've not seen any of this, and I'm not going to as I mentioned earlier, but I'd seen that Luthens "Speech" about sacrifice was getting a huge amount of praise online for being really well written and superbly acted so I found it on YT and, yeap, I've got to agree that the writing in this scene is some of the best of the Disney era that I've seen so almost a shame that so many ex-fans like myself are missing out on such good writing like this just down of Disney's continued garbage handling of the Franchise, but in the end it's no-ones fault but Disney's.

However, even after all that it still took me around 6 months (I think) after its release before I felt that the rave reviews from fans were genuine, so I watched it and thought it was brilliant even though it had obvious flat spots too.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm confused. ianh stated a set of reasons why people didn't watch Andor (which sounded a bit iffy to me tbh). I gave a link to other reasons some people in this forum didn't watch the show, including ianh, which was to do with Trumpian politics being in the show or something like that.

rp2000
erm what?

You think that ianh reasoning is iffy so you suggest that the reason that Andor had the lowest ratings amongst all Star Wars shows is because of trump politics. For that to even have an impact a significant number of people who watch Star Wars would have to be trump fans (your words).

Someone’s reasoning is definitely iffy and it ain’t ianh’s

Last edited:
Soldato
I can see rp2000's point TBF although I'm not that sure that the amount of fans the false "Trump" stuff probably lost was that much of a huge amount, but it did add to the ever increasing internet fire at the time.

Soldato
I can see rp2000's point TBF although I'm not that sure that the amount of fans the false "Trump" stuff probably lost was that much of a huge amount, but it did add to the ever increasing internet fire at the time.
If that was the actual point he was making then fair enough.

Though I do wonder if there is an over estimation or under estimation on how much of an affect the online discourse has on the rating figures of shows in general. That’s a longer discussion for a different thread.

To keep this on track a number of people complained about the twins not being actual twins in the show.

Well the reason they didn’t pick actual child twins for the show was because headland had trouble telling them apart on set. :|

Suspended
If that was the actual point he was making then fair enough.

Though I do wonder if there is an over estimation or under estimation on how much of an affect the online discourse has on the rating figures of shows in general. That’s a longer discussion for a different thread.

To keep this on track a number of people complained about the twins not being actual twins in the show.

Well the reason they didn’t pick actual child twins for the show was because headland had trouble telling them apart on set. :|
Twins? You mean clones?

Soldato
So I think I'm going to watch this this weekend but I'm going to go in assuming its awful and it will hopefully entertain me in a perverse way!

My recent watch history is Clone Wars, Bad Batch, Rebels and finally Ashoka which I really enjoyed
Watched episode one with my daughter this afternoon, so so, not terrible, not sure about the Yord character though. When does it go off the rails?

Kyo

Kyo

Soldato
Twins? You mean clones?

I would have rather they made a movie/series about these twins. I know nothing outside the movies from what i read this is a really interesting story. (were they meant to resemble Joel Edgerton?). It will never get done cause it doesnt fit into KK narrative and direction.

Last edited:
Suspended
I would have rather they made a movie/series about these twins. I know nothing outside the movies from what i read this is a really interesting story. (were they meant to resemble Joel Edgerton?). It will never get done cause it doesnt fit into KK narrative and direction.

Funnily enough I stopped playing ToR around that expansion :p but yeah, there's so many stories they could have adapted instead of this thing we got. Modern screenwriters know best though right :rolleyes:

Reactions: Kyo
Associate
Pretty predictable ending, loads of unanswered questions and unlikely character decisions, so about on par with the rest of the Disney stuff.

As a whole series it's 5/10 had a couple of decent fight sequences the actors that played Sol and Qimir carried the show but not worth watching again my guess is no season 2

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Shame there’s ‘unanswered’ stuff going by the above posts. I can’t stand shows that always leave things open… which is why I rarely watch any of them… but clearly that’s more of a personal sensitivity than anything else as nobody else seems to mind that much. Was waiting for the general consensus on here before bothering.

Last edited:
Soldato
Just eugh....I would say I am a Star Wars fan, main interest coming at the 1997 re-release which made me go back.

But upon watching all the live action content today am still only convinced ESB is a great Star Wars movie/movie overall as in, effects, acting, story, some are good (ANH, has aged but fantastic world building and character introduction - poor acting, Rogue One - Good story/effects, although unmemorable characters but nice backstory, others have great 'scenes' and add to the lore etc) I even enjoyed TFA although it was a bit too 'safe'.

But christ, although Mandalorian is decent the last few Disney entries have really soured the experience, breaking lore established in films and TV and just being plain dumb along the lines of letting two people explore an unexplored alien planet in Prometheus with no-one available for their comms.

Decent lightsabre battles sure but then just watch a good samurai movie. I think the lore and world building is what makes Star Wars so loved but things like the Acolyte just trash it, intentionally or not (although am leading towards intentionally due to interviews I have seen - previously VERY established lore is you don't become a Jedi master if you are bad or would do bad things to cover bad things. Nope gone, coverups etc).

The finale hinted at so much that is to be explained in a second season but as far as I know, for the first time the second season hasn't actually been greenlit yet which is strange as a lot of other shows are greenlit say midway or even before the first season has aired. If they did a completely separate story and didn't water down/underplay massive things of the previous movies it wouldn't be so bad but this show just has. Will say though, my biggest/worse annoyance is still 7 year old Leia being chased by grown men in Obi-Wan and being kept under a cloak - terrible and had me laughing at the screen.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Forgot to add, this guy.....a Jedi.......

I also had the delight of watching the credits and listening to the power of one/two/many song :p again.

Last edited:
Man of Honour

Movies: The Force made Anakin

EU: The Force made Anakin

Pre-Acolyte Disney: The Force made Anakin

Post-Acolyte Disney: Witches inspired an evil guy to make.... the downfall of the Sith? On purpose?

...I don't even understand where they want to go with this?

Last edited:
Caporegime
Movies: The Force made Anakin

EU: The Force made Anakin

Pre-Acolyte Disney: The Force made Anakin

Post-Acolyte Disney: Witches inspired an evil guy to make.... the downfall of the Sith? On purpose?

...I don't even understand where they want to go with this?
What? They didn't change Anakin's origin at all in this, he's not even mentioned!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom