Star Wars: The Acolyte

Kyo

Kyo

Soldato
So once again they’ve stepped all over previous canon and stories that made actual sense.

I thought the fight choreography was pretty good but story and writing was suspect. I didn't buy the way the story unfolded nor the characters decisions. The series for me was clumsy and erratic. I'd be surprised if there season 2.

So Jedi are liars and full of deceit who cover murders and cast blame to others.

Also why did the small tracker rodent guy sabotage Sol attempt to capture Osha?

The way Sol died was just so poor imo. As usual the girls are way more powerful than any Jedi master.

Can someone explain so if Mae and Osha aren't sisters what are they? Clones? orce babies?. So Anakin but better??

Last edited:
Caporegime
So Jedi are liars and full of deceit who cover murders and cast blame to others.

Also why did the small tracker rodent guy sabotage Sol attempt to capture Osha?

The way Sol died was just so poor imo. As usual the girls are way more powerful than any Jedi master.

Can someone explain so if Mae and Osha aren't sisters what are they? Clones? orce babies?. So Anakin but better??
1. Yes people lie, is this really a shock? Jedi have lied before
2. This isn't answered explicitly but my guess is that Bazil could see that Sol was getting angry and was worried that jedio shouldn't be getting angry so tried to stop the chase. Or perhaps he was just worried for his own safety lol.
3. The girls are beaten by jedi masters (and Qimir) throughout. The only time they win is through deceit or surprise.
4. They were created using the vergence and are one person split into two bodies. I don't know why you think they're Anakin but better, Anakin was a prodigy. Osha failed as a jedi.

Soldato
The ending was an improvement

Overall the story and characters etc was all ok
I think they (sw and marvel) are just rushing too much ? Maybe take more time try some more attempts at dialog and shots maybe more experienced directors would help? It feels like first attempt and cut and move on? Scenes and shots are flat nothing is memorable or impactful or amazing, a more experienced director and more time would watch things back and go no that's cheesy or flat let's try again or change things up
Or change angle or talk to the actor and say try something again or different way

It's all just a bit meh and rushed I think

My only real dislike is the jedi are supposed to be completely awesome (especially in this era?) and apart from trinity jedi they are all a bit lame and stiff especially jedi receptionist man

Last edited:
Caporegime
My only real dislike is the jedi are supposed to be completely awesome (especially in this era?)
I'm going to admit I've not read any of the existing High Republic books but my understanding was they're at their peak but a little complacent. Yord for example was absolutely textbook trained but had no idea to handle things out of what he'd experienced. Similarly
they were well trained with lightsabers but came undone when faced with Qimir using Cortosis and a lightsaber fighting style that the jedi don't train because they dislike the deceit

Kyo

Kyo

Soldato
1. Yes people lie, is this really a shock? Jedi have lied before
2. This isn't answered explicitly but my guess is that Bazil could see that Sol was getting angry and was worried that jedio shouldn't be getting angry so tried to stop the chase. Or perhaps he was just worried for his own safety lol.
3. The girls are beaten by jedi masters (and Qimir) throughout. The only time they win is through deceit or surprise.
4. They were created using the vergence and are one person split into two bodies. I don't know why you think they're Anakin but better, Anakin was a prodigy. Osha failed as a jedi.

1. They more than lied in this series they murdered, covered up murder and framed that murder onto others. Deceit and negative emotions were paths to the dark side? Weren't Jedi meant to be the champions of good and the righteous until this show.
2. Sorry that made no sense to me at all. He knew that wasn't Osha and did everything to uncover her but then turned on Sol when he tried to stop her? Made no sense imo.
3. Again sorry don't buy it. Jedi powers were so inconsistent. At times powerful one moment but then struggle in other situation.
4. Ah ok I didn't pick that up. So they were a single person split into 2 by the witches.

It's interesting they are trying to expand from the lore or stories from books and other sources etc but for me the writing and direction could have been so much better. I didn't completely dislike the show but imo the execution was sub par.

Last edited:
Caporegime
1. They more than lied in this series they murdered, covered up murder and framed that murder onto other. Deceit and negative emotions were paths to the dark side? Weren't Jedi meant to be the champions of good and the righteous until this show.
2. Sorry that made no sense to me at all. He knew that wasn't Osha and did everything to uncover her but then turned on Sol when he tried to stop her? Made no sense imo.
3. Again sorry don't buy it. Jedi powers were so inconsistent. At times powerful one moment but then struggle in other situation.
4. Ah ok I didn't pick that up. So they were a single person split into 2 by the witches.

It's interesting they are trying to expand from the lore or stories from books and other sources etc but for me the writing and direction could have been so much better. I didn't completely dislike the show but I would not say the execution was sub par.
1. Murder is a bit strong, if you're talking about Sol he clearly thought the mother was a threat. As I said, jedi being deceitful is nothing new, Yoda and the council hid the origin of the clone army because they knew it would threaten the Republic.
2. I didn't even mention Osha, I doubt he'd want to Sol to kill Mae or for Sol to lose himself in doing so (I personally think this is the most likely as they showed Sol getting a missile lock on Mae's escape craft). Or as I said he was just scared for his own life and wanted to stop a dangerous chase.
3. Jedi powers have been inconsistent since they first existed. It's space fantasy, they change to fit the plot and always have done. If you want a real word explanation then dark side powers have always been stronger when fuelled by intense emotion.

I agree that some of the writing fell short, I think the pacing was off and it could have actually done with an extra episode or two and more scenes with Qimir and Osha before the finale.

Soldato
Ladies and gentlemen - it's over.
The fight between Sol/bad guy wasn't too bad.
Was that intentional?

Soldato
I've been watching this at the same time as catching up with Gen V, the Boys spin off, and more than anything for me there is a real sense of confusion over who you are supposed to be rooting for. Like who are the bad guys and who are the good guys, who I am supposed to be siding with in this as a viewer? In both of these shows you seem to have the different factions swapping between whether you are supposed to be on their side or not, sometimes multiple times within an episode. Maybe this is a story building technique I am not used to in all the shows I watch, but these two ain't half confused me, though maybe with The Acolyte this is the whole point of it and what they actually are going for.

In The Acolyte I did predict there would be a swap between Mae/osha some episodes ago. Maybe they do want to focus on the dark apprentice thing in the next season, and therefore have to make several of the Jedi to be out and out nobs so you can identify with the dark side motives as it goes on, before the inevitable redemption arc, despite the multiple murders.

And I have to say I am not a fan of the mind wipe technique as a means of resetting things for the next chapter in the story. I've never liked this in any show. This was one of the most confusing things about Gen V too as it happens. In any case, with The Acolyte, surely they have tens of hours of CCTV footage of Osha when she was on Coruscant which they can just show to Mae and go, "There y'are, that's yer sister there. There's Sol in the old training room there, training her as his new Padawan. All the footage."

Soldato
Overall a bit pants , hopefully an s2 but with a better team if per spoiler

so was the shadowy figure in the crevice Darth Plagueis?

Last edited:
Soldato
Overall a bit pants , hopefully an s2 but with a better team if per spoiler

A season 2 with with Darth Plagueis in it would be good. I did wander if he was going to be referenced or in it this series

Caporegime
Ultimately we don't know yet, looks like him but could easily be his master Tenebrous too. I also found it interesting a number of articles seem to think he's Qimir's master when to me it suggested that he could have been spying on him.

Back
Top Bottom