Star Wars VIII : The Last Jedi [WARNING: SPOILERS]

Man of Honour
Just came out of the cinema - I don’t even know where to start... which I think is a great indication of how sprawling it was, in a good way! I had no idea where it was going a number of times which made for an intriguing watch.

Much better than I expected and probably my second favourite of the series :)

Corrr this post is dangerous. I had decided not to bother with it but I'm now rethinking things as I know you have some good taste :p

Man of Honour
Corrr this post is dangerous. I had decided not to bother with it but I'm now rethinking things as I know you have some good taste :p
Thank you :p

Yeah check it out for sure. I’d say the story as a whole is decent - there are deffo a few isolated oddities but those aren’t material to the main plot arc which for me was intriguing and ultimately satisfying, in a way which all other Star Wars films are not (save for TESB).

Caporegime
Not bad but had its issues.

Decent Movie but one of the main plot points was a slow motion space chase sequence where all of a sudden "fuel" is somehow a concern? Has this ever been a concern in any previous Star Wars movie? I don't recall it ever being mentioned before.

The opening battle was beyond retarded, Star Destroyers loaded with Tie Fighters just sit by thumbs up their collective asses while their big gun Dreadnought gets its defences picked apart and ultimately destroyed. Apparently sheilds on a ship like this are also an afterthought.

Still no explaination about how pumpkin head got the Light Sabre, and seeing as how Luke is gone now i doubt it ever will get explained.

WTF was the point of Snoke? We find out absoloutely nothing about him, how he came to be in power, what his back story is and suddenly he's already offed.

ESB style Yoda was a welcome addition. The cg on him looked very reminiscent of the puppet Yoda.

Porgs were actually funny and weren't overused.

Phasma, again wtf was the point? Besides her armour apparently being the only actual Storm Trooper armour capable of taking blaster hits i can see her surviving her trip into the fireball to again resurface in episode 9 to much yawning.

Leia going Mary Poppins mode was a bit of an eyebrow raiser, you could make the argument she has learned the force since the original trilogy but it just seemed shoehorned in with the way it was manifested in this sequence.

Still no "Knights of Ren".

Last edited:
Permabanned
My thoughts on Snoke in spoilers. But ultimately fans are very hung up on the wrong focus and character.

Snoke is a hugely important lesson in the dark side. Massively so and I am surprised so many don't seem to get this was his sole purpose. His history, rise to power and life is totally irrelevant compared to his death. None of this is about Snoke, it's all about Kylo Ren. Snoke is still simply part of Kylo's backstory, a minor character in the scheme of things.

He and his death are the embodiment of the dark side and the paradox that surrounds it. All powerful master is vulnerable to their apprentice. It's how the emperor came to power and was defeated. Same as Kylo.

But most pertinent is that it shows how easily the Skywalker men are seduced and how petulant the are.

All of them from Anakin to Luke & Ben and remember there are only these generations of force user Skywalker men. Kylo is conflicted and possibly darker than Anakin. Luke may not have turned but he has, from the first encounter in ANH through to TLJ, has shown he is foolish, impatient and not wise. He has also shown great conflict. Rey however, as Yoda has identified is the future of the Jedi.

Rey is the perfect parallel to Anakin. She came from nowhere, her linage is irrelevant as was Anakin's (a slave boy). Instead it's her future that is important. Difference is she embraced the dark side and it didn't control her.

Great life lesson that.

Also potentially hugely sexist undertone where it's the men who turn to the dark side only yet the women haven't in the films.

That the perfect summary.

Rey did what Anakin and the jedi order failed to do, and that is to embrace the dark side and not allow it to control her, she has achieved balance with the force, as luke explained the jedi order of the past failed on the achieving balance. The old jedi order from episodes 1-3 were looking to Anakin to do it for them when is all about them as individuals in doing so. Also,I think all the other side stories in the film are extremely important in showing that the force alone cannot be your champion. "HOPE"

Permabanned
That's the good thing about people, we're all different and are looking for different things from the franchise :)

For me, the fact they have killed off all but two of the original characters is the main plus point for me[/spolier]

My eldest son is 10, and he can't stop talking about it. In that way, I'm glad they made Star Wars for him, and not for me. That's another reason why I think it's the best Star Wars film.

It's 100% Star Wars.
Yes agreed, they have managed to bring starwars to the next generation and in doing so bringing an entire new fan base with it.......

Permabanned
Quite a few folks saying that Finn’s plot thread was pointless. But didn’t his mistakes (walking out on the rebels to try and find Rey, getting arrested by landing on a beach, recruiting dodgy crypt guy he knows nothing about, telling crypt guy the plans to evacuate), lead to the rebels getting virtually wiped out! Even when he landed at the rebel base near the end of the film he crash landed in the hanger bay seemingly without any concern about who/what may have been there!
Finn's story/arc is extremely important, it shows how he has inspired others and that the jedi cannot do it alone.....

Associate
My thoughts on Snoke in spoilers. But ultimately fans are very hung up on the wrong focus and character.

Snoke is a hugely important lesson in the dark side. Massively so and I am surprised so many don't seem to get this was his sole purpose. His history, rise to power and life is totally irrelevant compared to his death. None of this is about Snoke, it's all about Kylo Ren. Snoke is still simply part of Kylo's backstory, a minor character in the scheme of things.

He and his death are the embodiment of the dark side and the paradox that surrounds it. All powerful master is vulnerable to their apprentice. It's how the emperor came to power and was defeated. Same as Kylo.

But most pertinent is that it shows how easily the Skywalker men are seduced and how petulant the are.

All of them from Anakin to Luke & Ben and remember there are only these generations of force user Skywalker men. Kylo is conflicted and possibly darker than Anakin. Luke may not have turned but he has, from the first encounter in ANH through to TLJ, has shown he is foolish, impatient and not wise. He has also shown great conflict. Rey however, as Yoda has identified is the future of the Jedi.

Rey is the perfect parallel to Anakin. She came from nowhere, her linage is irrelevant as was Anakin's (a slave boy). Instead it's her future that is important. Difference is she embraced the dark side and it didn't control her.

Great life lesson that.

You have tried to turn a turkey into a masterpiece , and failed miserably.

Associate
Thought it was awesome. Hard to explain without spoilers but my overriding feeling is they gave A LOT to the audience. I was smiling through a lot of it. So many great moments to speak of, but a few weird moments. So much happened I need a day to let it sink in. Wouldn't hesitate to watch a 2nd time if I wasn't paying!

Soldato
I genuinely don't know what to think about this. It was a decent film but there were elements in it that just missed for me. Luke went wayyyyy too early imo. Its a shame the way he has bowed out. The Leia superman thing just looked ridiculous. But most of all, I really dont think many of the films jokes landed. I think it was only once where I laughed out loud but the rest just missed. Luke milking that creature was more like a Guardians of the Galaxy sort by f thing. A bit of a mis-step.

Maybe its because I went in with a mindset and an idea of where I wanted the tory to go but then in reality it just didn't go the way I wanted. Maybe I will think more of it once the final installment comes around.

Oh....and who the hell is/was Snoke?!?!?

Man of Honour
I genuinely don't know what to think about this. It was a decent film but there were elements in it that just missed for me. Luke went wayyyyy too early imo. Its a shame the way he has bowed out. The Leia superman thing just looked ridiculous. But most of all, I really dont think many of the films jokes landed. I think it was only once where I laughed out loud but the rest just missed. Luke milking that creature was more like a Guardians of the Galaxy sort by f thing.

Maybe its because I went in with a mindset and an idea of where I wanted the tory to go but then in reality it just didn't go the way I wanted. Maybe I will think more of it once the final installment comes around.

It isn't helped by the fact that we have gone from films with just the odd bit of humour (and more recently the darker tone of Rogue One) to the GotG style that we just aren't used to and frankly I don't want in the films. We still haven't even had a decent lightsaber fight.

Massive amounts in IMAX in Leicester Square. Cheers at notable points. Clapping at the end and within the credits. Lots of laughing too.

Surprising, I am trying to work out which notable points because most were very disappointing.

The Porgs got pretty much the only laughs I can remember.

Associate
No back story for a character adds to the subject matter they can make one of the many to come spin off films about.

I very much enjoyed the film.

A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away.

the story is "so much nonsense to hang a great visual experience onto" Mark Hammill 1977.

Last edited:
Soldato
I’d hate to be in a cinema with a “crowd reaction” I went to see a film at the Chinese theatre in LA years ago and it was horrific. All the brain dead Americans hooting and hollering every two seconds :rolleyes:

I had another watch today, it was much better on a second viewing still the few stupid moments stuck out.

Leia in space, anything Finn and for me I HATED the guards for Snoke. Every time someone moved they done a stupidly choreographed littlest hop, step pose without actually looking like they wanted to protect him. My mate loved the Rey/Ren v Guards fight but I actually found it a little too choreographed (at least the early stages of the fight)

There are bits I would have liked to have seen a little better and Be interesting seeing what they will seek to achieve in 9 with it being the end of an arc as 8 seemed to tie things up quite neatly.

What are people’s opinions on Daisy Ridley? I like the character but I find her acting a little OTT. She can’t handle subtle and most things seem to be in a screechy loud voice that I find grates with me.

All said and done though a great film and once again I would say Hamill and Driver were fantastic throughout.

Caporegime
No back story for a character adds to the subject matter they can make one of the many to come spin off films about.

I keep saying it but at the end of the Original trilogy we didn't know Vaders back story, Palpatines, Leias and so on. We still don't even know Yodas! This little green guy with almost zero other reference in the universe, mega powerful and we let that slide, but one baddie seems to have people confused as to why we don't know the backstory. That's what SW does. It won't be filled in with film it will be back filled with novels and comics, you only have to look at the amount of books they are working at in those areas to see they have left so much open to be filled in later.

I think despite peoples hate, Lucas should have finished the nine and then passed it on, having someone else finish the Skywalker story without his input just hasn't worked for me. Yet having them work on something independent like rogue one clearly did work. Hamill clearly didn't like what he was served but kudos to him for the professionalism getting the job done.

Back
Top Bottom