Star Wars VIII : The Last Jedi [WARNING: SPOILERS]

At those sorts of near-light speeds, you'd get total mass-energy conversion. It would be like a nuke going off as it hit. Make a slug of
something dense (like diamond or depleted uranium) with hyperspeed engines and a navigation system, you'd have a missile that could jump to a system, then take out almost anything.

That's why this sort of trick looks spectacular in the movie, but when you think about it, it breaks so many things. How many ships or cruisers could have been saved by ramming one of them into a super star destroyer, or a death star at light speed? TLJ has made a fundamental change in the rules of the movies. It's like suddenly turning up with modern guns where everyone else has swords.
You know destroying your own ships to take out enemy ships is usually the desperate last acts of a military?

You know destroying your own ships to take out enemy ships is usually the desperate last acts of a military?
Yes, that's why I'd suggest you'd make missiles to do the job. Besides, given the amount of ships the Republic were willing to lose to take out one dreadnaught, losing one ship instead would seem to be a good exchange. One b-wing/x-wing/a-wing to take out a Dreadnaught seems like good planning compared to what they actually did. That's why what they did seems all too dumb.

Last edited:
At those sorts of near-light speeds, you'd get total mass-energy conversion. It would be like a nuke going off as it hit. Make a slug of
something dense (like diamond or depleted uranium) with hyperspeed engines and a navigation system, you'd have a missile that could jump to a system, then take out almost anything.

That's why this sort of trick looks spectacular in the movie, but when you think about it, it breaks so many things. How many ships or cruisers could have been saved by ramming one of them into a super star destroyer, or a death star at light speed? TLJ has made a fundamental change in the rules of the movies. It's like suddenly turning up with modern guns where everyone else has swords.

My thoughts exactly, how much of a threat can the vastly superior Imperial New Order fleet be if you can anhiliate their biggest vessels with a well sheilded hyperspace capable transport? It completely broke things for me, I think I loudly exclaimed "Oh for **** sake" the very point it happened.

At which point in the entirety of Star Wars from Episode IV forward, have the rebellion not been what you would describe as a desperate military?

My thoughts exactly, how much of a threat can the vastly superior Imperial New Order fleet be if you can anhiliate their biggest vessels with a well sheilded hyperspace capable transport? It completely broke things for me, I think I loudly exclaimed "Oh for **** sake" the very point it happened.

Exactly. Even allowing for the supposition that nobody had thought of that previously, one would have to assume that seeing the damage caused, any further space battles will now be simply a series of ships jumping in to hyperspace on autopilot in order to destroy enemy vessels. Episode 9 should be a really short movie!

Really? The remaining ships are being chased down and their only means of escape - hyperspace, has now been nullified. They are severely outnumbered and outgunned. They are keeping the First Order at arms length and have a rapidly depleting fuel supply (stupid as that may be), which means they are going to be destroyed in mere hours. Is that not what you class as desperate enough?

First Order lost most of its troops and one heck of a planet sized weapon maybe a few days before events of TLJ
certainly short enough from the events of TFA for Ray to be still standing with her arm stretched out to Luke
Not sure which group should be more desperate for resources at that stage....

Watched it this afternoon. Loved it and i'm already wanting to see it again.

From all the waffle on here I thought I might not but it was in my opinion epic and very enjoyable. In keeping with the star wars universe and taking forward the plot of each character nicely, turn by turn and flowing from place to place.

Enjoyed it as much as I did the first one and looking forward to the next.

Back as you were ;)

Are you contradicting yourself here? I asked at what point were the rebels not desperate and you said episode 8. And when someone points out the reasons why they would be desperate you state "indeed". So which is it then?
No Episode 8 is the first point when the rebellion is utterly desperate and had no other plans to “blow stuff up”. Up till that point they had absolutely no military value in squandering large capital ships in suicide attacks on Empire capital ships.

If anything, it’s a tactic that would have made much more sense for the Empire to carry out on the rebels, given their advantage in numbers and view of their troops being expendable.

Plus why bother building a Deathstar if all they had to do was destroy planets by having ships going into them at lightspeed.

No Episode 8 is the first point when the rebellion is utterly desperate and had no other plans to “blow stuff up”. Up till that point they had absolutely no military value in squandering large capital ships in suicide attacks on Empire capital ships.

If anything, it’s a tactic that would have made much more sense for the Empire to carry out on the rebels, given their advantage in numbers and view of their troops being expendable.

Plus why bother building a Deathstar if all they had to do was destroy planets by having ships going into them at lightspeed.

To blow up planets where the Republics are (I’m sure they blew up one in TFA) and scare the rest of the galaxy, entire planets to fall in line for fear.

Pretty sure they blew up 5 odd planets in TFA. The republic itself.
I get that it's a big galaxy, but what's really left to rule when you've erased what you're trying to dominate?

Exactly. Kinda makes the previous 7 movies kinda pointless huh?

Pretty sure they blew up 5 odd planets in TFA. The republic itself.
I get that it's a big galaxy, but what's really left to rule when you've erased what you're trying to dominate?

5 planets in a entire galaxy is like 5 grains of sand on a beach! That’s a very very small amount of them. According to Star Wars wiki there are over 3 million habitable solar systems in it... makes you wonder why the resistance/rebellion is so small actually with that many life forms around to recruit.

Back
Top Bottom